Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    Excessive heat (especially in cars) is known to kill batteries - thats not a Pre-thing, that's a phone-thing.

The battery on the Pre is consistently pretty poor. Maybe they are connected.

Everyone who has a Pre seems to charge it multiple times throughout the day.
    Please do not speak in such gross generalities. My battery lasts all day. I use a touchstone. I charge once a day. Not everyone has to charge multiple times a day.
    A bit off topic but I got a chance to try out an EVO and GalaxyS at my local BB. The salesperson has a Pre but she complained that her's has issues...she was knowledgeable about Preware and overclocking...pretty impressed....but overall loves the Pre despite hardware issues.

Anyways, I ask her about battery life of those two Androids I was looking at. She told me that if you tend to leave all the "stuff" on, they don't do a whole lot better than the Pre.

The screen on the GalaxyS was comparable to an iPh4, I would say.
    "Maybe they are connected."
    "Everyone who has a Pre SEEMS to charge it multiple times throughout the day."

These are gross generalities?? LOL.
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    "Maybe they are connected."
    "Everyone who has a Pre SEEMS to charge it multiple times throughout the day."

These are gross generalities?? LOL.
    I find the only people that charge throughout the day are HEAVY users or people that get bad signal for a long time. My wife can have her phone in a bad Sprint area of her work, be roaming all day and still gets in the car with some batt life (this is 10+ hours off the charger and we have done nothing to optomize batt life on her phone, BT is on all the time, etc). Now if she doesn't get the roaming all day long she gets home with a decent amount of battery life without touching a charger for 11+ hours.

Now I end up throwing my phone on the charger within probably 4 to 5 hours of use. But that also counts the majority of the first 2 hours of my day my phone is seeing heavy use. Downloading and Playing or streaming a podcast or other audio, heavy web/data usage (first thing I do is load 3 or 4 apps to start my day), push e-mail set to as items arrive. I also often forget to turn off my BT, and all my data use in the morning is over 3G. Also I can say easily that after almost a year of use my battery is not as healthy as it should/could be based on my daily excessive use, I really need to go into Sprint and get a new battery.

Ohhh then as far as the whole heat thing, I have got battery temp warnings in the car NOT using a TS. This mainly has to do with the radios and the heat they generate in the same area of the phone as the battery. I have gotten a batt temp warning without even charging, just streaming via BT. So any possible battery heat issues have as little to do with the TS as they have to do with usage habits, and load on the radios.
    Quote Originally Posted by GrantHeppes View Post
    I used my Best Buy insurance for the third time 3 weeks ago. I patiently waited for the Best Buy phone call telling me that my replacement Pre is in. They called me today and informed me that I wont be getting a Refurbished phone but instead a new one. I was pretty excited about that.

Ends up that they were all out of stock of Palm Pre's, and they offered me a comparable Android or Blackberry phone. I declined looking for alternative options. I told them that they did have them in stock online, and that a another Best Buy could also have one. They make all these calls while I sit on hold, and a few different people talk to me. They end up offering me an Evo4g and told me that it is the best phone I can get.

I politely decline the three different people who made that offer (I bet i could of even gotten an Epic). The reason I gave them that I still wanted my Pre was because I own 4 touchstones, and have spent easily over $150 on Apps (I own a ton of 3d Games). I decided to that was a better response then trying to explain why WebOS is better than Android. They told me that the Pre is getting phased out and there will no longer be any Palm phones that work with the Touchstone. They then go to tell me that Palm went out of business and HP had to buy them.

At this point I accidentally burst out laughing, and informed him that he was misinformed. After about 45 minutes, they get a Best Buy 120 miles away to send them one of their Pre's.

So in the end, I am getting a new Palm Pre, and will never use Best Buy mobiles insurance ever again. My friend works at that Best Buy, so I hope to hear back from him about the crazy guy who passed up an EVO4G! FOR A PRE!

You still have a hold on me PreCentral Community
    -Grant Heppes
    and whats the problem? we dont carry pre's anymore....they are end of life. once we're out, we're out. or do you want us to hold onto a pre for the next 10 years for you in case you need to exchange it out?

they did everything as they should and went above and beyond by offering the Epic. So this has nothing to do with Best Buy. my own store is out of pre's too and I was told if I need replacement I would end up with an epic. Thats how it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    Yep, the BB insurance is a rip-off for anything you buy from them, but especially for phones.
    ya, its such a ripoff. Ive gotten a new tv, 3 new digital cameras and a new xbox. Thats a HUGE ripoff.
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    if it wasn't profitable, they wouldn't sell it if they didn't make money. It's like buying insurance and thinking you are getting a good deal.

just like vegas, the house always wins.

it may have paid off for you, but in general most don't need to use it so they add 20-30 percent to the price they pay for no eventual benefit.

I always ask them if they are selling me crappy products that won't last. They stopp talking right about there.
    if it wasn't profitable, they wouldn't sell it if they didn't make money. It's like buying insurance and thinking you are getting a good deal.

just like vegas, the house always wins.

it may have paid off for you, but in general most don't need to use it so they add 20-30 percent to the price they pay for no eventual benefit.

I always ask them if they are selling me crappy products that won't last. They stopp talking right about there.
    so profitability has to do with "ripoff" or not? guess everything you buy is a ripoff then.

and the "most dont need to use it" is a HUGE fallacy, you should see the amount of broken items we see daily. Sure, I havent used my black tie Plans on my current TV or my ps3....but the cost to me for all my black tie plans was FAR cheaper than replacing the 1 TV much less the other items.

and, if you asked me about crappy products, I would educate you that electronics on the whole have a 20-25% fail rate. And cite examples of how people drive off the lot in new cars and have lemons. Its the nature of high quantity manufactured items that keep the cost low....reliability suffers.

Wish you could be there when they come in with dropped and runover laptops that are only a week old that thought they didnt need it.
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    they make about 15 percent on the merchandise. They make about 95 percent on the extended warranty. Nothing wrong with profit, but those numbers say it benefits them more than the customer, in general terms.

you are a corner case where it paid off. Some people win the lottery, too.
    they make about 15 percent on the merchandise. They make about 95 percent on the extended warranty. Nothing wrong with profit, but those numbers say it benefits them more than the customer, in general terms.
    lol @ 95 percent.....wowza. if they did they wouldnt have to sell anything else lol.

the most profitable is actually accessories.....not extended service plans.
    @agentmock

Quote Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post
    lol @ 95 percent.....wowza. if they did they wouldnt have to sell anything else lol.

the most profitable is actually accessories.....not extended service plans.
    well, they have to sell the hardware or there is no reason for the extended warranty.

and yes, that's why I don't buy accessories at best buy either.$20 cables I can get (same brand) for a few dollars on line.

that $5 coke at the movie theater cost them about a nickel. That $8 bucket of popcorn costs them about 50 cents. They make very little on ticket sales.

so you are welcome to buy their refreshments. I can buy a year of popcorn with what I save from one night at the movies.

most things are obsolete long before they die. I have several VHS decks in the closet to illustrate that. If I invested 20% of every device I ever bought at best buy in a mutual fund - i'd have enough to replace every appliance or gadget in my house.

sure, it's a risk/reward thing. I actually have insurance on my pre, but directly with the carrier. But that is the exception because it's a business tool.

that's why mgmt pushes you to sell them and probably spiffs you when you do. Not because they are being charitable, but because it's like printing money.

the house always wins.
    Somebody sure was paying attention at employee orientation...

Relax, dude. Nobody is attacking your precious Best Buy or anything. Actually, Best Buy is probably the best of the big electronics chains out there. Then again, it's still a big chain, so you'll get the occasional ***** sales/customer service person. Hard to totally avoid that, though.

I tend to avoid all those big chains because I don't need someone telling me what I want (I can do research and figure that out for myself).
    "...human sacrifices, dogs and cats living together! MASS HYSTERIA!"

-Ghostbusters
    I actually like best buy, just not for accessries and extended warranties, and not for phones.

but I have lots of best buy stuff in my house.
    Quote Originally Posted by oobernuber View Post
    Somebody sure was paying attention at employee orientation...

Relax, dude. Nobody is attacking your precious Best Buy or anything. Actually, Best Buy is probably the best of the big electronics chains out there. Then again, it's still a big chain, so you'll get the occasional ***** sales/customer service person. Hard to totally avoid that, though.

I tend to avoid all those big chains because I don't need someone telling me what I want (I can do research and figure that out for myself).
    oh Im relaxed....if you wanna bash Best Buy in a factual way, have at it. But blowing smoke and making up numbers and such is just ridiculous. And yes, there are "*****" sales people.

I worked in the stores for years, part time, full time, senior, supervisor....Im pretty content with my position now...Home Entertainment Advisor. I work in the field for 6 stores and drive all over the place building home theater and home automation systems. probably one of the best retail positions in existence.
    @agentmock

no one bashing best buy. Just offering opinion on what is and is not a good way to spend money there.
    Is the best buy insurance included with the palm pre? i bought my palm pre from best buy
    Quote Originally Posted by nickafreeman View Post
    Is the best buy insurance included with the palm pre? i bought my palm pre from best buy
    its a monthly service, i think $9.99 a month

you can drop/smash your phone however many times it accidentally happens and have it repaired or replaced and no $100 deductible or 2 replacement limitations
    @agentmock

aww crap, i bought the one from sprint for 7.99 a month.
    Quote Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post
    its a monthly service, i think $9.99 a month

you can drop/smash your phone however many times it accidentally happens and have it repaired or replaced and no $100 deductible or 2 replacement limitations
    Until they tell you they will no longer get you a replacement (as this whole thread is about). I know you say the item has been EOL'd, but first if there is quantity in stock at another store, the warranty should still be honored. 2nd the fact that EOL technically has nothing to do with warranty replacement in general, the manufacturer still has replacement phones out there (since they are still selling phones under a factory warranty).

It may be BB's warranty replacement policy (okay I know it is), to replace with a phone of equal or greater "value" when something is EOL. The difference is BB sales people aren't always as up front about what that means.... you could go into your local BB right now and buy a Pre if they have one in stock, you go in for warranty replacement next week well phone was EOL so you now HAVE to get a different phone. That is not always made clear, and doesn't always make sense to the average consumer when replacements are readily available from the manufacturer and other retailers.

BTW, Workerb33 wasn't bashing BestBuy and those kind of profit figures are true for EVERYWHERE that sells electronics.

You were partially correct, out of goods sold in electronics stores yes accessories are the main profit maker, not just for the store selling them, but for the manufacturer as well. Now extended warranties are actually as Workerb33 said, the main profit maker for the retailer. Well that and then there are installs, which have a pretty decent profit margin as well.

Once again, this is not bashing BB but the truth of the market at all retail establishments. That is why the retailers have set accessory, install, and warranty goals. This comes from a lot of experience in retail management as well as having good friends work for multiple different electronics retailers in many different capacities (including starting from personal electronics to high end computing). They all have sales and attachment goals, as I am sure you know, even if you hit sales goals, if your attachments are too low (accessories/warranties/installs) you can still get written up, suspended, or terminated.
    Quote Originally Posted by nickafreeman View Post
    aww crap, i bought the one from sprint for 7.99 a month.

With Asurion (Sprint) you will still get a replacement Pre. Odds are with the BB plan, you will be getting a different phone, so unless that's what you want, don't be upset.

Also depending on the damage to your phone and original purchase date, you could be still under your initial manufacturer warranty (1 year from Palm).
    Lol, no offense, but i think thats kinda stupid! Why not get the Evo, sell it on ebay, get a new palm pre and get sum extra money or get 2 pre's, one for you, and give another to your friend XD
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12