1.    #1  
    Is there a reason for this? Any way I can make it stop? It's not a HUGE issue, though it can get annoying b/c you can hear the noise several feet away. Does it indicate a problem with the phone or charger?
    it shouldn't make noise. That's a problem. Does it do that when charging via usb?

and, are you using a genuine palm wall adapter and cable?
    Last edited by Workerb33; 08/29/2010 at 10:24 PM.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Mine does the same thing when I don't have my Pre lined up right on the Touchstone.
    mine did the same thing, and it also wouldnt charge, eventually I gave up and returned my touchstone
    It should give an alert sound when place on the charger.(touchstone)the sound volume goes with your volum settings. As far as several feet away.. That sound a little extreme. ^_^

There is a patch in preware that will disable the charging alert sound. That might be what you're looking for.

Best of luck. :grin
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    I know exactly what you are talking about. I have several touchstones and the only one that does this for me is the one on my desk at work. Sometimes it will stop if I reposition the phone slightly. However one thing I have noticed is that the more charged the phone is the louder the sound gets. I have started to get into the habbit of leaving it off of the charger until the battery gets below at least 80% and that mostly keeps it from making that noise.

For what it's worth the noise that he and I are describing is not like a notification sound that the phone is making or anything like that. it is a very VERY high pitched sound that is constant while the phone is on the Touchstone. Mine is not realy loud but it can definitely get annoying after a few minutes. Also like I mentioned before for me it's usually not noticible unless the phone is almost or completely charged.

It may sound strange but it think it might have something to do with the actual frequency or voltage of the AC current that is going into the wall charger. The only reason I say this is because I have experimented with swapping out chargers and Touchstones at work and all of mine do it to different degrees at work but none of them do this at home or in my truck. The only thing that stays the same at work it the power going into the chargers.

I hope this helps if nothing else to at least know that you're not crazy.
    Sprint Customer since 2001
    Palm User since 2004
    I have three touchstones, and one makes that high-pitched whine. I put that one in my car. Problem solved!
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    I have had the same issue since day 1 (June 2009). When the phone reaches charging capacity, the Pre emits a high-pitched noise until I remove it from the touchstone.

Replacing my Pre, Touchstone and back cover did not help, so it just might be the voltage. We'll see when I move in 2 months.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    One thing that I did notice was that some backs and Touchstones were definately worse for it than others. I just kept the least bad one at work. So there may be some combination of parts and other influences that causes this to happen. Shoot at one point I just stuck a back cover on the TS without the phone attached and it still made the noise.
    Sprint Customer since 2001
    Palm User since 2004
    it is an issue with the touchstone. There are various fixed in the forums.

One elaborate solution mods the back cover (search for "touch stone cycling" - with spaces).

Another solution is to put paper or other material between the back cover the the touchstone. I am testing with this. Two sheets of postinotes seems to help my problem. Will try a more permanent solution if it works consistently (gluing material on the face of the touchstone).

The thing to remember is the issue may be the touchstone or may be the inductive back cover. Replacing the touchstone alone may not work.

Hope this helps.
    Quote Originally Posted by santos View Post
    I have had the same issue since day 1 (June 2009). When the phone reaches charging capacity, the Pre emits a high-pitched noise until I remove it from the touchstone.

Replacing my Pre, Touchstone and back cover did not help, so it just might be the voltage. We'll see when I move in 2 months.
    My wife and I both have touchstones and pres. Mine makes the sqeal and cycles when charged, but hers does not. This leads me to think it is not voltage related. (and yes we live in the same house.)
    Quote Originally Posted by palmuse View Post
    My wife and I both have touchstones and pres. Mine makes the sqeal and cycles when charged, but hers does not. This leads me to think it is not voltage related. (and yes we live in the same house.)
    does yours work fine on hers? Also what happens if you use her touchstone back on your pre, on your touchstone
    Quote Originally Posted by kel101 View Post
    does yours work fine on hers? Also what happens if you use her touchstone back on your pre, on your touchstone
    Good question. Hadn't thought of trying that. I'll give it a go tonight.
    It's not shrieking with excitement, no...

The thread palmuse is referring to is by Richard:
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...-solution.html

It works and it's quite an easy mod, thanks to Richard's elaborate tutorial.

I think it's basically a TS issue, where the coil just isn't positioned correctly inside the TS.
    You need to mod every backcover you intend to use with this TS, because modding the TS is not a very sensible option (search for Touchston Surgery and the headache will kick in proactively).

Then again, changing the power source will probably blah blah current blah coil blah voltage blah (sorry I'm no tech but you get the point)