Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by bradenfontaine View Post
    im glad to see im not the only one that noticed the change after the UK/Govnah update.

just a thought, ive experimented with different settings and honestly the perf. 720 setting has the best battery life/performance ive seen to date. but every phone/ user is different, but i do suggest trying it out if u havent thus far.
    I've had good luck with 720 too. Just a little laggy in spots, especially in opening the camera, which is never that fast to begin with.

Here's an aside... I've noticed, since they first became available, that certain patches you wouldn't imagine would affect your battery life, do. Anything you add to the the drop down menu (i.e., toggles for GPS, Roam Only and Data) will dramatically affect battery life. Certain patches, like adding temperature next to the battery % are expected to, because they are polling every so often, thus using power. But, it would seem to me that just adding an on/off toggle to a drop down menu wouldn't use any more battery life than adding the same functions in app form, or adding Quick Systems, neither of which affects battery life. I have also noticed that the "hide NFL, Nascar, Music Player etc." patches seem to draw power from the act of hiding. I thought they just, effectively, commented them out, which shouldn't draw power. But, I have noticed a dip in battery life when using them.

I have mentioned such things before, and I have had people tell me it shouldn't be so. I have also had people tell me they experience the same things. In the end, I have found that, except for Uber/Govnah and a select few patches (I don't use more than a dozen and a half), I keep pretty close to stock and my performance and battery life seem to be stronger than when I patch like crazy.
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
    Quote Originally Posted by Splitbiker View Post
    I think that F105 has better battery performance than UK @ 1Ghz. I never measured it, but I've used both and I'm back on F105.
    F105 uses more aggressive voltage settings (meaning, lower than UK) since it is a "testing" kernel, so that will correspond to a lower battery drain rate than UberKernel. Those settings can be adjusted with Govnah, but make sure you know what you're doing or you'll end up with a Pre that freezes/won't start up. I think if you search the F105 thread you should find the post where at least one person posted test results on how low they were able to go with various clock speeds. Personally I'm pretty happy with the default settings on the latest F105 release.
    sometimes, my pre is 8hours (9-17h) on the stone and is empty when i go to bed. not OK
    Sometimes I notice my battery Pct. go from 26% (or higher) to a red 0% after I finish a phone call.

My current Govenah CPU is set to 1 GHZ. So, right now per this forum I am testing my CPU speed at 800 GHZ. Hopefully this will be a more stable solution that places less of a drain on my standard battery.
    Battery Pack For Verizon Palm Pre Plus Phone 1350mAh - eBay (item 270620326620 end time Sep-09-10 08:20:59 PDT) ... for the price u cant get a better battery for your pre. its new, holds more juice, and dirt cheap. i got one last week and it works great. i also have the 1 ghz kernal (gotta luv the overclock, damn its fast
    Quote Originally Posted by fred1955 View Post
    Sometimes I notice my battery Pct. go from 26% (or higher) to a red 0% after I finish a phone call.

My current Govenah CPU is set to 1 GHZ. So, right now per this forum I am testing my CPU speed at 800 GHZ. Hopefully this will be a more stable solution that places less of a drain on my standard battery.
    You should install Dr. Battery and calibrate your battery. It's a bit of a pain to do but it will get rid of weird battery behavior like that.
    I get better battery life out of SR-71 than F-105. Go figure.
    been on 720 since last time I posted. Lag is what would be expected, buts minimal and few & far in between. Tink I've found my new speed
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchmasta View Post
    Battery Pack For Verizon Palm Pre Plus Phone 1350mAh - eBay (item 270620326620 end time Sep-09-10 08:20:59 PDT) ... for the price u cant get a better battery for your pre. its new, holds more juice, and dirt cheap. i got one last week and it works great. i also have the 1 ghz kernal (gotta luv the overclock, damn its fast
    as an FYI these are not actually 1350 batts... but in reality show us as 1183.
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    What are the specific setups for Fast 800? If not selecting Screenstate, then which Governor is selected?

Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    Wow! This has really worked for me. It turned out to be the 1Ghz setting that was killing my battery (it was also causing camera lag and freezes). I loved the speed, but it's not THAT much faster than 800Mhz.

My Pre is back to being fast, reliable, AND, if I charge intermittently in the car, which is less than an hour extra charging boost throughout the day, I am going to bed with at least 60% power left. Last night I still had 70% around 4am, put it in airplane mode, and woke up with 68%. It then charged up in the car within a half hour or so.

I'd like to say that this is the best my battery life has been since the pre-IPK version of 800Mhz. But, really it's the best it's been since my Treo 755p which was a super workhorse (possibly since my Kyocera 6035, which could go a day and a half with heavy use).

Thanks!
    Been having a tough time getting through 18 holes with GolfPinFinder recently (after going to 1GHZ Uber. Only getting 12 holes before dead battery...also battery level going from 19% to 0% instantly.

I downloaded the Dr. Battery app and will recalibrate when I can find time.

However, yesterday after reading this thread and knowing I was going to play 18 holes later in teh afternoon, I set Govnah at 720 Fixed (was Screenstate 500/1000)and set my email to update every 30 minutes (was as I receive). I did a restart after making these changes.

I only made it through 8 holes before I got the low battery warning! (Started at 100% battery)

Maybe it's the GPS Fix app that's draining the battery so fast? It is so frustrating to have to jump through hoops just to have a functioning GPS chip.

Does the 1350 mAh battery posted above require a bigger back cover or is this battery physically the same size as the stock Pre battery?
    The best battery saver is keeing your phone plug up to a charging system. Any other way isn't "Guarantee" :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlbanyHDTV View Post
    Been having a tough time getting through 18 holes with GolfPinFinder recently (after going to 1GHZ Uber. Only getting 12 holes before dead battery...also battery level going from 19% to 0% instantly.

I downloaded the Dr. Battery app and will recalibrate when I can find time.

However, yesterday after reading this thread and knowing I was going to play 18 holes later in teh afternoon, I set Govnah at 720 Fixed (was Screenstate 500/1000)and set my email to update every 30 minutes (was as I receive). I did a restart after making these changes.

I only made it through 8 holes before I got the low battery warning! (Started at 100% battery)

Maybe it's the GPS Fix app that's draining the battery so fast? It is so frustrating to have to jump through hoops just to have a functioning GPS chip.

Does the 1350 mAh battery posted above require a bigger back cover or is this battery physically the same size as the stock Pre battery?
    Not sure if you have seen the following links before, but they might help you get through a round before you battery tanks.

GolfPinFinder.com Battery Tips

GolfPinFinder.com GPS Tips

When I use GPF, I use Mode Switcher to setup my whole GPF environment for me.
    It disables all radios except for GPS of course. It sets the brightness of the screen to just below half, sets my security mode to unlocked, sets all sounds to 0 (I don't want to be bothered while I am enjoying a round), automatically sets Govnah to 500MHz, launches GPF.

This is all triggered a couple of different ways. If I have golfing in a calendar entry or I get with in GPS range of a few courses I frequent, Mode Switcher switches to my Golf Mode and all of the above things happen. I have no troubles getting through a whole round. When I am done, I turn off the Golf Mode and all the settings go back to what I had before, including Govnah going back to 1GHz. (It's awesome!)

Obviously your mileage may vary.
    I hope those links help some.

ADD: Oh, I'm on a Sprint Pre, original battery.

For more information on Sconix's (@therealsconix/@modeswitcher) webOS collective work... visit here.

"Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." - Dale Carnegie
    I already posted here but if you read the thread you'll believe me:
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    I always wondered why my battery didn't last long. I tried switching off all that stuff I actual bought a smartphone for until I found out my battery pasted out.
    So if you have problems come through the day without charging I really suggest to test your battery with Dr.Battery.
    Please don't read that as an advertisement of my app. This is really what happened to me and why I build this app.
    You may get surprised.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Just a question: What's your govnah profile like? If it's at 1Ghz all the time, I can imagine it will kill your battery REALLY quickly. I have mine set to 1Ghz/125Mhz screenstate, and my battery still has around 20% left at the end of the day after moderate usage.

Also, this may be hogwash, but I posted this in another thread, and got some interesting replies:

Arrg, it's not letting me post the URL, so here's the reply inline - see the other thread for the replies:

"You may think I'm crazy (I certainly think I am), but I've noticed that when I charge the pre at night with lots of stuff on, the battery does not last as long the next day. I tried for a while to have it be my clock at night (using the patch to keep it always on when charging), and every time I did that, the battery would not make it through the next day, even with very spare usage. OTOH, when I charge and I make sure the screen is off, close all apps, and turn off all the radios, I usually end the next day with at least 20% after even moderate usage.

Totally anecdotal, I know, but it's been working for me, and I run screenstate at 1Ghz/125Mhz (800/500 before the last uber release). "
    Last edited by noahisaac; 09/10/2010 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Add more info
    Quote Originally Posted by noahisaac View Post
    Just a question: What's your govnah profile like? If it's at 1Ghz all the time, I can imagine it will kill your battery REALLY quickly. I have mine set to 1Ghz/125Mhz screenstate, and my battery still has around 20% left at the end of the day after moderate usage.
    For me, I float between the following (Speed being the only difference. Forgive my naming conventions):

SS 500/800 32MBCC 55/50C
    Screenstate, 500MHz Min, 800MHz Max, Compcache Enabled, Compcache Memlimit 32MB, Temp Limit 55C, Temp Reset 50C

SS 500/1000 32MBCC 55/50C
    Screenstate, 500MHz Min, 1000MHz Max, Compcache Enabled, Compcache Memlimit 32MB, Temp Limit 55C, Temp Reset 50C

EDIT: TMC what?

Otherwise as stated in my post above, when I am golfing and using GolfPinFinder (GPF), I have it dropped to the UK Default.

I mainly use the 500/800, but there are times that I will flip to the other, even at the end of the day I still have juice left, then again I have I basically have a TS near me almost everywhere. (couple at home on night stand and office, car, couple at work on desk and in noc)

For more information on Sconix's (@therealsconix/@modeswitcher) webOS collective work... visit here.

"Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." - Dale Carnegie
    Yeah extended battery is CRUCIAL. It works really well. On top of that, play with the settings on Govnah for battery saving. There's a lot of options in Govnah that you can mess around with, just be careful. Read up a little, and ask questions. You should be perfectly fine.

I went in to Sprint to complain about my battery life and the guy just picked up the closest spare Pre battery he had lying around and handed it to me. So that was cool, I also bought an extended battery so now I have spares.

Overclock the kernel and undervolt it, it will do wonders.

I was never able to last a full day without charging since I work in a concrete building with no service at all. Now I return home around 6 PM with somewhere around 20% battery life left. Whereas before I would return with a dead Pre, or my second battery at 20%.
    If I want to dial back my voltage (undervolting?), how do I do that, and what are my setting options for preserving battery life without seriously underpowering the device?
    Last edited by pelikan3; 09/11/2010 at 04:21 PM.
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
    Quote Originally Posted by geezlouise14 View Post
    Here's what i've found (my drain went from around 4% to 11% too after the UK/Govnah upgrade):
    1. Set Govnah to Fast 800 (not any of the screenstate options)
    2. Restart Device
    3. Check Govnah to see if it's still on Fast 800, if not, put it on Fast 800
    4. Don't ever touch Govnah again!

I found that after I restarted phone, battery monitor reported < 3%/hr drain. If I went to any of the screenstate profiles in Govnah it would jump give results up to 13%/hr drain, even if screen was off and cpu was running at 250MHz. When I subsequently tried Fast 800, drain was better but still not great. HOWEVER, upon further testing, I found that if I restarted phone and chose Fast 800 without EVER selecting one of the screenstate profiles, drain would be an acceptable 4-5%
    This was sage advice! I did it and it worked! Then, I decided to mess with things.

I turn on/off my WiFi, Blue Tooth, GPS, Data and Roaming functions as-needed, to conserve battery. I have been using Quick System Tasks to do this, but there are patches that all you to add these functions to the top (right hand) menu, along with the existing WiFi and BlueTooth that is already there. It's a much simpler, more elegant method than using a separate app to control them. BUT, something about adding these on/off toggles, effects battery life in a way it shouldn't. So, power drain starts to increase exponentially. With them implemented, I kill my power in half the time. With data turned off, and using my phone only minimally all day (from about 8am), I can make it to about 10 or 11pm before my power dies.

BUT, ask anything of the phone, or turn data power on and forget to turn it off, and I can expect to have a dead battery by noon or 1pm. This has gotten progressively worse in the week since I added these patches, even with all other radios turned off. So, I did a full patch removal and have been running for the past several hours, virtually patch-free except for Uber/Govnah.

Today, was the last straw for the on/off toggle patches. Even charging in my car, I killed my battery by noon. So, I took it home, charged it to 100%, pulled up Preware, selected the remove all patches function, and rebooted Luna. This took action along, took my battery from 100 down to 88% (seems like a big drop in just a couple of minutes). I then took a phone call, which kept dropping (3 times). So, in probably 30 minutes, I killed another 22% just talking, leaving me 66%.

Back in the day of the first 800 Mhz overclock (before the IPK version and before Govnah), I could take my phone off the charger at 7:30am, make an hour or two of calls, send/receive hundreds of texts, listen to an easy 30 minutes of music (streamed or on the mp3 player), read an eBook for an hour, compulsively check and attend to email, and compulsively check this blog. By 11pm or so, I would usually have 40% power left. By 1:30am, I would still have 20% or so. All with a small variety of patches (mostly things like the improved picture naming convention) installed.

It wasn't until I took the advice in the quote, that I even came close, and, if I hadn't tried those on/off patches again (which really should work without a hitch), I might not be having a problem.

My best friend does 5 time what I do at my max, with his BB Tour, and lasts a full day and a half.

How do I get back to those days of glory, when the original, non-ipk version of 800Mhz, gave me acceptable speed with virtually unlimited power?
    Last edited by pelikan3; 09/21/2010 at 05:24 PM.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123