Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by palml0ver View Post
    it seems like each and everyday its gettin worse. I now have uberkernel installed running at 1ghz. In 10 minutes I get like a 6% battery drain. Is the thundercheif better with batterly life? Also, is there anything I can do? I've only had my phone for about 5 months so I don't think its the actual battery. Please help! Thank you
    It seems connected to the new uberkernel. I've run it using various Govnah profiles, including some very slow ones, and battery drain still is in the teens per hour (example: 12% per hour) whereas before it would be around 3-4%.
    -------------------------------------------------
    Long time Palmer: Original Palm Pilot > Pilot III > Pilot V > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 755p > Pre
    I’m pretty new to Precentral, have patched my Pre Plus, didn’t have any problems - until I installed the updated referenced in the OP’s post (and a few others here). I had pretty much very few problems with the latest iterations of Govnah and Uberkernal until the update, then my device started blowing through battery, until…

I’d also made one change, something out of the ordinary, I added a theme after the updates, then performed a Luna restart and later a hard restart. Still lots of battery drain. Until last night and all day today, after removing the theme and performing a hard restart. While the theme was in place and the device just sitting around with no use, my Pre+ was going through 8-15% per hour for a couple of days - after removing the theme and the device has been sitting around, the device is dropping a more-reasonable 2% per hour.

I’m using the 500/800 Screenstate profile, before and after the recent Govnah/Uberkernal updates. FWIW, after the G/U updates, I’d even tried the standard Palm profile and still was using more juice than I’d expect. My only recent change was to remove the theme (Glass Effect Suite) I was using. BT was/is active. WiFi was/is off. My device’s battery life is more acceptable to me, thought I’d share my observations.
  3.    #23  
    I swearr you guys are the best! Thank you for all the replies and suggestions <3
    Also, (assuming you haven't done this yet), you should turn down the frequency of your data pings to different services (email, facebook, etc.).

Every one of those apps have user-definable frequencies for pinging (check for emails/updates every 15 minutes, 30 minutes, etc.). When I first got my phone, I had email on instant delivery, and that alone significantly drained my phone. Unless you know you absolutely must have instant email, turn it down to have your phone check less frequently. It will SIGNIFICANTLY boost battery life.
    "...human sacrifices, dogs and cats living together! MASS HYSTERIA!"

-Ghostbusters
    I'm running 1GHz as well and I noticed I am charging my phone a lot more as well. I have the pre plus. The only thing I did was remove all patches including the uberkernel and reinstalled and it helped a bit but I'm still expermenting to really fix it. I will message you if I do
    ive noticed after this UK/Gov update mine has gone down quite quickly. from 5-8% an hour to 12-15% an hour. this was the only change. odd thing is that the Thunderchief kernel (1Ghz) was fine, but after the udate to 1Ghz in the new version of UK and Gov i deleted thunderchief and went with UK. weird... i coulda swore Rob said they didnt change the coding from thunderchief to UK but obviously i think something changed, intentionally or not.
    verizon pre 2 - 2.0, stock
    verizon pre plus - 1.4.5 various patches OC'd 1Ghz.
    verizon pixi plus - various patches, OC'd 800 mhz.
    verizon pixi plus - chillin in my sock drawer
    Try back the one you had before, and monitor the change. Report back with result. I'm using UK 1GHz. I don't know how my batt consumption is ~ cause I'm plugged up to my AC charger at all times.
    if i ever have the time ill do a full day comparison on both with stats... if i ever have the time. but still, the only change was going from thunderchief to UK. i may just revert back to thunderchief but now im starting to have heat issues with my blackjack game when running anything higher than 720-800 mhz.

as in temps climbing to 51-53*c

too hot...
    Last edited by bradenfontaine; 09/03/2010 at 11:30 PM. Reason: clarification
    Biggest difference I've seen in battery life is adjusting my data usage (email, messaging, weather/sports updates, etc). Especially if set to auto-update at intervals of 5mins or quicker, my battery was sucked dry. Try bumping up auto-updating features to 15mins (if necessary), or 1/2 hr if possible to save battery.
    location based services eat battery up like a fat kid at a bakery. messaging and email are the worst ive found though. remember a lot of places offer free wifi but u have to search for it and connect to it for the first time, and every time thereafter it will automatically connect. places like restaurants, bars, even gas stations. you just have to open the wifi settings and see whats out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by RL View Post
    Try back the one you had before, and monitor the change. Report back with result. I'm using UK 1GHz. I don't know how my batt consumption is ~ cause I'm plugged up to my AC charger at all times.
    Doesn't that defeat the purpose of overclocking? I thought when it's charging it drops back to 500mHz...no?
    If "If's" and "But's" were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas!

Pretty sure mode switcher's been demolishing my battery too. Might uninstall and see how it goes for a couple days.
  13.    #33  
    so I messed with my settings a tad bit. I set my email to 'as items arrive' and the Facebook beta app to 'manually''. I've noticed an increase in battery life, not to much but its noticeable.
    I was running the Pre with UK/Gov at 800Mhz, which proved to be the best for my phone. 500/800 never stayed at 800. 720 worked, but was a little laggy in spots.

Generally, from about 8am to about 11pm, I would make a few calls, send bunches of texts, compulsively check email, take pics and of my kids, read a book, even listen to music. I could generally go until 11pm and still have 20-40% battery power left.

I keep all excess wireless functions turned off, and, often turn off the data function unless I am using it. I also keep my brightness turned down or off. If there's a power saving function, save staying in airplane mode, which is pointless if I want people to reach me, or keeping my phone plugged in all the time, which is just inconvenient, I'm using it.

With that said, I have made two major changes recently... 1) I upgraded to 1.4.5 and 2) I upgraded UK/Govnah and started using 500/1ghz. Since then, my battery life has been cut dramatically.

Doing nothing but taking some pics at a kids park one day and the state fair on another (which never budged the battery in my Treo, EVER), I managed to kill my battery by 1pm the first day, and 3pm the 2nd (that's a 6-8 hour drop in power with a fraction of my normal use). By the way, taking pictures, even a lot of them, never used to bother the Pre either.

Making extra sure that all my battery saving measures were in place... Yesterday, doing almost nothing except sending a couple of texts and checking email throughout the day, I managed to plug in at 11pm with 0% to spare (but I was calibrating my battery using Dr Battery). So, doing close to nothing, I was able to get what I used to get as a mid-hi level user. But, had I done more... phone calls, internet, whatever, it would probably have died much earlier.

The best battery life I ever had, was way back when the first 800Mhz overclocking was created. BEFORE the first IPK came out. Next in line, seemed to be F102, but that and F105 both eventually froze up my device. UK/Gov at 800Mhz worked great.

Does anyone know what it is about 1.4.5 or the new UK/Gov (or both) that is killing battery power, yet?

A couple of aside questions...

Does the "race to idle" concept still apply with the 500/800 or 500/1000 settings the way it does with the flat 720 or 800 settings? Or, am I talking on the phone or listening to music at 500mhz and reading a book at 800-1000?

Is the time/energy it takes to transition from 500 to 800 or 1000 and back again, possibly pulling that much energy?

Thanks!
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    I was running the Pre with UK/Gov at 800Mhz, which proved to be the best for my phone. 500/800 never stayed at 800. 720 worked, but was a little laggy in spots.

Generally, from about 8am to about 11pm, I would make a few calls, send bunches of texts, compulsively check email, take pics and of my kids, read a book, even listen to music. I could generally go until 11pm and still have 20-40% battery power left.........

With that said, I have made two major changes recently... 1) I upgraded to 1.4.5 and 2) I upgraded UK/Govnah and started using 500/1ghz. Since then, my battery life has been cut dramatically.
    I have no battery issues with the new UK/Gov. However, I noticed a huge difference in battery life between Screenstate 500/800 and 500/1000. Love the performance at 1000, but you are right. 1000 burns up battery like it is on afterburner. Scaling back to 250/800 got me much more battery life. Reduction to 500/720 only got me minimal savings but much more lag. Scaling back to 250 @ screen-off got me better stand-by life, however. So my current profile is 250/800.

800 with screen on still kills a battery although not nearly as much as 1000. To further perserve battery on trips with extended outings away from charger, I use mod changer to swap from 250/800 to 250/500. I put up with the lag to get more life.

Contrary to some, I have not noticed a battery penalty associated with mode changer. Maybe it is because my modes are set to manual, and I don't have modes set with triggers that require background polling.
    Here's what i've found (my drain went from around 4% to 11% too after the UK/Govnah upgrade):
    1. Set Govnah to Fast 800 (not any of the screenstate options)
    2. Restart Device
    3. Check Govnah to see if it's still on Fast 800, if not, put it on Fast 800
    4. Don't ever touch Govnah again!

I found that after I restarted phone, battery monitor reported < 3%/hr drain. If I went to any of the screenstate profiles in Govnah it would jump give results up to 13%/hr drain, even if screen was off and cpu was running at 250MHz. When I subsequently tried Fast 800, drain was better but still not great. HOWEVER, upon further testing, I found that if I restarted phone and chose Fast 800 without EVER selecting one of the screenstate profiles, drain would be an acceptable 4-5%
    -------------------------------------------------
    Long time Palmer: Original Palm Pilot > Pilot III > Pilot V > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 755p > Pre
    Before tweaking some settings I suggest testing the battery.
    I always see comparing %drain/hour.
    Please remember that this means %drain/hour of your capacity.
    So if you have a bad battery you have more %drain/hour.

You should compare average current/hour. This would make it independent of the health of your battery.
    If you haven't seen it: you can check your battery with Dr.Battery.
    Wow! This has really worked for me. It turned out to be the 1Ghz setting that was killing my battery (it was also causing camera lag and freezes). I loved the speed, but it's not THAT much faster than 800Mhz.

My Pre is back to being fast, reliable, AND, if I charge intermittently in the car, which is less than an hour extra charging boost throughout the day, I am going to bed with at least 60% power left. Last night I still had 70% around 4am, put it in airplane mode, and woke up with 68%. It then charged up in the car within a half hour or so.

I'd like to say that this is the best my battery life has been since the pre-IPK version of 800Mhz. But, really it's the best it's been since my Treo 755p which was a super workhorse (possibly since my Kyocera 6035, which could go a day and a half with heavy use).

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by geezlouise14 View Post
    Here's what i've found (my drain went from around 4% to 11% too after the UK/Govnah upgrade):
    1. Set Govnah to Fast 800 (not any of the screenstate options)
    2. Restart Device
    3. Check Govnah to see if it's still on Fast 800, if not, put it on Fast 800
    4. Don't ever touch Govnah again!

I found that after I restarted phone, battery monitor reported < 3%/hr drain. If I went to any of the screenstate profiles in Govnah it would jump give results up to 13%/hr drain, even if screen was off and cpu was running at 250MHz. When I subsequently tried Fast 800, drain was better but still not great. HOWEVER, upon further testing, I found that if I restarted phone and chose Fast 800 without EVER selecting one of the screenstate profiles, drain would be an acceptable 4-5%
    "If you can't view and manage multiple apps, via multiple open windows, side-by-side, it's not multi-tasking, PERIOD." - Me
    im glad to see im not the only one that noticed the change after the UK/Govnah update.

just a thought, ive experimented with different settings and honestly the perf. 720 setting has the best battery life/performance ive seen to date. but every phone/ user is different, but i do suggest trying it out if u havent thus far.
    Quote Originally Posted by spare View Post
    my battery sucks ever since I installed mode switcher which recently came to preware. Try uninstalling it if you have it. Still like the app though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    Pretty sure mode switcher's been demolishing my battery too. Might uninstall and see how it goes for a couple days.
    Mode Switcher shouldn't drain your battery. According to Sconix (the developer of Mode Switcher)...

Quote Originally Posted by sconix View Post
    ... But as said MS does nothing while sitting on background it only reacts to those triggers. So only way how MS can effect directly to the battery consumption is that if some trigger is sending the info all the time. The easiest way to discover if its MS is to look at the /var/log/messages (for example by using lumberjack). Every time when MS "wakes" to do something it prints the trigger handling into the log. So if there is very extensive logging from MS then something is causing the trigger notification happening repeatetly.
    If you think Mode Switcher is causing the problems, you should report the issue in the Mode Switcher forum (see signature for links) so that you can get proper support for the issue.

For more information on Sconix's (@therealsconix/@modeswitcher) webOS collective work... visit here.

"Those convinced against their will are of the same opinion still." - Dale Carnegie
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast