Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    so I'm about to do this homebrew thing. I still have my palm pre plus stock. I have a few questions...

will it erase any of the data on my phone? Apps wallpapers etc?

and can I still accsess the original palm pre store?
    nope nope noetc

and yes
    Quote Originally Posted by Simpsonsdirektor View Post
    so I'm about to do this homebrew thing. I still have my palm pre plus stock. I have a few questions...

will it erase any of the data on my phone? Apps wallpapers etc?

and can I still accsess the original palm pre store?
    Before you do anything... Please read this: http://www.precentral.net/how-add-ho...hes-and-themes.

Nothing will be erase or change from your phone. Don't worry.
    The Homebrew Community is your phone's best friend. :-)

Enjoy.
  4.    #4  
    yeah I was reading that. I was concerned that if I had updated the phone I wouldn't be able to access it. Kinda like changing the firmware on a psp.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    palm actually encourages the homebrew scene. They are constantly showing off how easy it is to mod or code the phone. They even let an app in their catalog that shows you how to patch verizon's gps "issues"
    Just a quick tip, something that I missed when I was a new homebrewer... When you install a theme, and then decide you want a new one (and you will), make sure to remove the theme otherwise some parts of the theme get 'stuck' and the only way to fix it is by the webOSDoctor, something that I just decided to live with as opposed to doctoring and then restoring everything.
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Just a quick tip, something that I missed when I was a new homebrewer... When you install a theme, and then decide you want a new one (and you will), make sure to remove the theme otherwise some parts of the theme get 'stuck' and the only way to fix it is by the webOSDoctor, something that I just decided to live with as opposed to doctoring and then restoring everything.
    Got to the Theme warning before me

I think there's an app for your problem...
    http://forums.precentral.net/canuck-...ty-v2-1-a.html
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
  8.    #8  
    thanks guys. Is there anything else I should know that isn't mentioned in the tutorial?

I saw that windows 7 users might have a problem so I think I'm gonna use my desktop with xp.
    thanks guys. Is there anything else I should know that isn't mentioned in the tutorial?

I saw that windows 7 users might have a problem so I think I'm gonna use my desktop with xp.
    You're going to love homebrew and the ease of which you can modify your phone. Be sure to install Save restore and to backup your phone periodically. Personally, I doctor and start fresh. But it's because I know if I don't have the time, I can always restore from a backup. There's also a PreBackup Utility and I think it's best to have options.

Once you install Preware you can do almost anything without a PC. I haven't had the need to doctor in 6 Months. http://install.preware.org/
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
  11.    #11  
    does your palm profile still work? like If I add new contacts is my profile still in tact?

and whats the doctor or whatever? I saw it in the tutorial, but it didnt really explain its purpose.
    does your palm profile still work? like If I add new contacts is my profile still in tact?

and whats the doctor or whatever? I saw it in the tutorial, but it didnt really explain its purpose.
    The Palm Profile is simply an off-line (cloud) backup of your device contacts and applications.

The Palm Doctor is an application that you can run to restore you device to factory settings if you ever feel like you messed something up. It doesn't touch anything in the USB portion of the device (ie: pictures, music, videos), it simply restores a device back to factory. The only time you ever would need to run it is if you really messed up the device, or simply wanted a fresh start with the software. There is also a Repair Utility that will check your device's files to look for corrupt or missing files. You really can't ever mess up your Pre with these applications there to recover for you!

Personally, I would use a gmail account for backing up all of your contacts instead of relying on the Palm Profile (many users have lost contacts with that - myself included). The Palm Profile would mainly be there to back up your basic device settings and your paid applications.
  13.    #13  
    well I like the palm profile, I havent lost any contacts. but itll still work after I run this?
    Yes... that's what it is there for. The profile is an off-line backup designed to restore your information after doctoring your device, or switching to a different device.
  15.    #15  
    I thought it was an online profile? like when i switch phones (as I plan to as I have a giant scratch on my screen) itll work as normal? wont touch my profile? and my facebook profile?
    LOL... when I say off-line.. I mean it is kept in the CLOUD and away from your computer or device (or on-line as you are seeing it).

Ok... let me phrase it this way. Every webOS device has a Palm Profile associated with your email address. If you break your device, lose it, run it over with a tractor, smash it with a hammer... whatever... and you go get a new device. As soon as you log in with your email address and password, it restores all of your settings, contacts, and paid applications to that device.
  17.    #17  
    "cloud"? lol
    "cloud"? lol
    Yep... that's what the term is for off-line storage - or storing your information on a remote server on the Internet. If you've never heard of it, take a look at this link: Cloud Computing
  19.    #19  
    word thanks, im a n00b when it comes to phones. Im pretty computer savy, but this is throwing me for a loop lol.
    That's not a problem. If you want a very easy to read description of what to expect and what webOS really is about - take a look at this thread. It will describe everything for you in an easy, simple to understand layout.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...e-welcome.html

Hope that helps!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast