Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So it appears my speaker is now blown, which is surprising I don't really use it that much, apparantly it didn't like the one Pantera song I played on it yesterday. I'm with Bell Mobility anyone around know approx how long it will take for them to fix it and return to me? I am almost afraid of what will happen once I put it in the mail. Pre withdrawls, is there some sort of detox or rehab that I can go to while it's gone? I can't say that I will look forward to having to "rent" a phone while this one gets fixed. In the event that I can no longer stand the crackily speaker and I do send it in, any recommendations of what I should remove in the way of Preware....all of it or just the kernels and govnahs? Thanks :/
    If you send it it consider just Doctoring it first.

It removes everything in case they decide to go looking for patches.

Chances are you won't have any problems either way, but it's just a precaution to prevent them from going and looking for things you might've done to allow them to deny coverage.

Just be aware that installing the Kernel voided your warranty. They have every legal right to deny coverage.
  3.    #3  
    I understand about the kernel, but I'm pretty sure that's not the reason the speaker sounds like crap now. And if it is doctored, how are they going to know?
    Well there's always a way to find out.

But your right, chances are they aren't going to spend the time, they'll just send you a refurb without even looking into it.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    And if it is doctored, how are they going to know?
    Your phone sends your information daily to Palm... including what kernel you are currently running. Trust me, they can find out if wanted.
    i have gone through 5 phones with speaker issues already, bell told me that palm is now FIXING, not replacing phones... so my guess would be 2-3 weeks would be a fair turn around time
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    I had my Sprint pre repaired for free in a Sprint repair service store the same day I walked in. It was a used part.
  8.    #8  
    Well I'm off to 'the webOS'(ha I said it lol) Doctor's office, then lucky for me I found a store with Pre loaners.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    If you send it it consider just Doctoring it first.

It removes everything in case they decide to go looking for patches.

Chances are you won't have any problems either way, but it's just a precaution to prevent them from going and looking for things you might've done to allow them to deny coverage.

Just be aware that installing the Kernel voided your warranty. They have every legal right to deny coverage.
    Just a little FYI: I did doctor my phone, and pretty much everything reverted back to normal, although I did notice some discrepencies:

Multiple pages still left in the launcher, was surprised to see I still had 6 pages.

For some reason the quick launch bar only has 3 icons in it, I'm pretty sure when I got mine new, there were the usual 5 (contacts, calendar, phone, email, launch), but maybe I dragged them down, I don't remember.
    have replaced my pre 7 or 8 times 5 of them for cracky sound in speaker refurb every time no problem at all with sprint replacing them.
  11. KTM
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    If you work around metal shavings it sticks to the speaker magnet is why there die
    The speaker is so strong it will pickup a paperclip ,Play sound and suck on the speaker
    and it will play deep sound in your mouth
    Having fun
  12.    #12  
    lol I have noticed the metal shavings on both phones I have owned....funny part is....I don't work around metal shavings......They just appear from somewhere....my first thought was the mirror, but obviously not the source.
    I too have a blown speaker... this is my 3rd pre... the first also had a blown speaker and was replaced for that. The secong had multiple issues... oreo... finally the power button broke and the phone was relaced for that reason. Now my 3rd pre has a blown speaker... And I use stock ring tones and no over clocking or anyhting... never even use speaker phone.. Only stock ringtones and notifications have ever gone over the speaker beyond a few games that play some music before I can turn the sound off...

I'm going to the Sprint Store at lunch and see if they can replace it again ... I can barely hear the ringer and pretty much can't hear the notifications... I got my first pre in June of 09 right after launch... I've no idea if they will accomodate me or not... Sprint has been good to me so far... I've been with them since 2002. As much as I like WebOS The Pre Hardware is junk...

I'll report back with how the Sprint Store/Repair Center treats me later today...
    Yeah, no go on a new replacement... my options were to upgrade now (which I do not want to do with the current phone lineup.) or pay $119 for a replacement since I don't have a warranty or EPP. Since I've got 10months left on my current contract... I'm going to try replace the speaker myself since I've no warranty to void. Googling around it looks like the pre has a 13mm speaker? Can anyone confirm that is correct?
  15.    #15  
    $119 is a lot cheaper for a replacement than the $299 I'd have to pay, which is completely ridiculous when you look at the parity of our dollars: $0.9387 CDN(MSN.CA) to USD as of 14:47 MDT...works out to $280. Something ain't right there.
    I ordered a couple of 13mm Speakers from Newark.com. As soon as they come in I'm going to break the Pre Down and replace the speaker myself. (Hopefully it'll be and "upgrade" and won't blow so easy.)

Irks me that I can't get proper repair parts for my now out of warranty pre.
  17.    #17  
    goodluck renegade I get my 'new' PRE today
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Good luck on the speaker repair, can you take pics when you do it? I'm in the same boat as you are and my warranty ran out only a 1 1/2 weeks ago. Trying to hold out for the next palm phone, but i hate the crackling speaker.
    My replacement arrives today... I can take some pics while I work... it'd be beneficial for people to be able to do their own repairs... maybe we can together get a full 2 year contract on this weak ***** pre hardware.

Hopefully I can get some time to work on it tonight or tomorrow
    I wasn't able to take pics.. but if you follow the breakdown guide on ifixit.com you can see easily how to get to the speaker. Once you get the speaker out you have to remove two little spring contacts from the original speaker and solder them to the new one. The original speaker is a 15mm speaker.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast