1.    #1  
    Ok, long time TC member here. Been a with SPCS for eons, almost 12 yrs and back in '02 was the last time i did a plan change and was last on a contract. Basically my bill comes out to be less than $35/month after taxes (data/sms/all included), yeah, it's an oooolllddd plan. Currently have a Treo Pro, as every other phone i've ogled after requires a plan change nowadays, except Win Mo.

Anyway, i was given a Pre the other day by a friend, near mint actually, and i loaded on one of those "bypass webOS roms" so i could just use it via wifi, and i'm liking it a lot really. The synergy thing is nice, especially the IM app.

So i decided to try out Sprint's 30 day risk free promo and added it on an individual plan so i could use all it's features and i was impressed, especially with govnah and the kernel OC thingy, definitely made it more snappy than stock. So after satiating my curiosity, i canceled the 2nd line and now back to a wifi only Pre that left me impressed OS-wise, though the hardware could use some juice.

My dilemma is that after all taxes the bill would come out to over $80, more than double my Treo. Employer discount would lessen it by about $15 i calculated, but still nearly double what i pay now.

I can i guess frequent Chipotle and papajohns less (i could lose some weight anyway ), cut down on my gadget lust.....arghhhh. Plus it doesn't help that the Epic is getting rave reviews but then that's even $10 more on top of it all.. Only if we had an inkling of what Pre version 2 or whatever was going to be like, then i could hold out for that.

Decisions....

Btw, does the Pre not see ad-hoc wifi networks (like Android devices)? Doesn't detect wifi i create from Treo Pro via wmwifirouter. (my iPad does).
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Your grandfathered data savings festival has to end eventually if you want to progress forward with technology. I say make the jump with your free phone.

Correct, webOS does not see ad-hoc wifi networks. There might be a patch for that however, I could swear I saw one.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    Btw, does the Pre not see ad-hoc wifi networks (like Android devices)? Doesn't detect wifi i create from Treo Pro via wmwifirouter. (my iPad does).
    Question: this Pre you were given, is it under warranty? The reason I ask is, I had my original launch-day Pre replaced by a refurb, and it had a bad wi-fi radio in it. The only way I knew was that it didn't detect some wifi networks that the original one did. When I took the replacement to Sprint support, they at first just said, "oh, the Pre doesn't do that." But I said, "my original one did!" They replacd it, then the replacement had a problem with bluetooth, and the replaced it again. Finally I got one that worked.

So my point is, if it's the first and only Pre you've ever had, it's easy think that's just the way it works, when it actually may be defective.
  4.    #4  
    i've been so used to a 30-something bill for more than 8 yrs that my cheapo brain is saying go wifi on the Pre till win phone 7 comes around and then evaluate by then. Who knows Sprint might let grandfathered stooges like me skate on like they currently don't seem to mind on current win mo phones.

hmmm, my cheapo ride is coming to an end...it seems.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Your grandfathered data savings festival has to end eventually if you want to progress forward with technology. I say make the jump with your free phone.

Correct, webOS does not see ad-hoc wifi networks. There might be a patch for that however, I could swear I saw one.
    ad-hoc networks can be dangerous. why would anyone want to patch that?
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by RJKinsman View Post
    Question: this Pre you were given, is it under warranty? The reason I ask is, I had my original launch-day Pre replaced by a refurb, and it had a bad wi-fi radio in it. The only way I knew was that it didn't detect some wifi networks that the original one did. When I took the replacement to Sprint support, they at first just said, "oh, the Pre doesn't do that." But I said, "my original one did!" They replacd it, then the replacement had a problem with bluetooth, and the replaced it again. Finally I got one that worked.

So my point is, if it's the first and only Pre you've ever had, it's easy think that's just the way it works, when it actually may be defective.
    It's not a refurb. WebOS it seems (like Android) does not see ad-hoc wifi networks.
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    ....Correct, webOS does not see ad-hoc wifi networks. There might be a patch for that however, I could swear I saw one.
    Best I could find.... http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ss-laptop.html
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    ad-hoc networks can be dangerous. why would anyone want to patch that?
    What's dangerous about it? Geez come on. Its a Godsend when i'm out and about with my Treo Pro and iPad or laptop.

Just went to wikipedia to read up on the 'dangers' and couldn't find anything. Ofcourse anything can be dangerous.....
    I was on an old grandfathered plan too, being a Sprint user since they rolled out CDMA. When I got my Pre I spoke with retention and, seeing how long I'd been a customer, they got me on a plan that ended up being not much more than I was paying before. Since they couldn't discount the Simply Everything plan they put me on a similar data plan with finite voice minutes but bumped these up significantly so I'm unlikely to go over. Made staying with Sprint a no-brainer, since none of the other carriers can touch this monthly rate for a smartphone. Mileage does vary on this, but hopefully you can find someone helpful in retention who'll find you a good deal.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by zParticle View Post
    I was on an old grandfathered plan too, being a Sprint user since they rolled out CDMA. When I got my Pre I spoke with retention and, seeing how long I'd been a customer, they got me on a plan that ended up being not much more than I was paying before. Since they couldn't discount the Simply Everything plan they put me on a similar data plan with finite voice minutes but bumped these up significantly so I'm unlikely to go over. Made staying with Sprint a no-brainer, since none of the other carriers can touch this monthly rate for smartphone. Mileage does vary on this, but hopefully you can find someone helpful in retention who'll find you a good deal.
    Hmmmm, that's more along the lines of what i'd want to look into. I wouldn't mind a jump of at most $15 over what i pay now. Truth be told i barely use minutes (less than 175 avg/month), more SMS and web really. Hmm, might try that route and see what they say.
    I wish I had your problems
    Current Plan: $35/month
    New Plan: $80/month(minus $15 employer discount = $65/month (seriously!?!?)
    My current bill is $108 (Bell Mobility)

ED -- oya I forgot....I live in the land with the highest cell phone bills in the world:
    http://wirelessnorth.ca/2010/08/27/i...-in-the-world/