1.    #1  
    Not like single-thread PalmOS, new WebOS is a real multi-task system, like Windows/Linux on PC, but I find no way to manage/stop the background programs/services, maybe JSTop can do this job a little, but it seems not do it well.

PalmOS use notification mechanism to be a pseudo-multitasking system and have some tools to stop a certain notification just like kill background service, while a real multitasking WebOS can only stop foreground applications?

Why I want to control background apps? I think WebOS running some useless service in background to make my PalmPre boot system slowly (about 3min) and drain my battery quickly.

I check the directory of my Pre and find some service files in /usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/, I wonder if I rename or even delete some of these files (such as "com.palm.crotest.service", "com.palm.contextupload.service", "com.palm.OnDevLogger.service", etc.), could my Pre works, boot quickly and drain slowly? These files seems link to ones in /usr/bin/ directory.

I am a newbie Linux learner, sorry for my questions.
  2.    #2  
    Well, forgot another idea, is it possible to check the "alarm list" of WebOS? I want to know when my contacts/calendars sync to Google, when my backup sync to palm profile, and when clock sync do the period sync task. Is it the timetable can be read/output?
  3.    #3  
    Any advice please?
    Quote Originally Posted by cmlx View Post

Why I want to control background apps? I think WebOS running some useless service in background to make my PalmPre boot system slowly (about 3min) and drain my battery quickly.

I check the directory of my Pre and find some service files in /usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/, I wonder if I rename or even delete some of these files (such as "com.palm.crotest.service", "com.palm.contextupload.service", "com.palm.OnDevLogger.service", etc.), could my Pre works, boot quickly and drain slowly? These files seems link to ones in /usr/bin/ directory.

I am a newbie Linux learner, sorry for my questions.
    No, definitely don't touch those. It could break your Pre completely. The 3min+ bootup is normal, even FAST. Nothing opens on startup except the OS.
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by TIWizard View Post
    No, definitely don't touch those. It could break your Pre completely. The 3min+ bootup is normal, even FAST. Nothing opens on startup except the OS.
    Thanks for the information, Jason Robitaille has a patch to prevents the upload daemon from starting on boot, Prevent Log Uploads to Palm, so I think there should be some useless services running background, and could be stopped manually.