webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre and Pre Plus > How to control applications in background?
How to control applications in background?

Old 08/27/2010, 05:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

Not like single-thread PalmOS, new WebOS is a real multi-task system, like Windows/Linux on PC, but I find no way to manage/stop the background programs/services, maybe JSTop can do this job a little, but it seems not do it well.

PalmOS use notification mechanism to be a pseudo-multitasking system and have some tools to stop a certain notification just like kill background service, while a real multitasking WebOS can only stop foreground applications?

Why I want to control background apps? I think WebOS running some useless service in background to make my PalmPre boot system slowly (about 3min) and drain my battery quickly.

I check the directory of my Pre and find some service files in /usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/, I wonder if I rename or even delete some of these files (such as "com.palm.crotest.service", "com.palm.contextupload.service", "com.palm.OnDevLogger.service", etc.), could my Pre works, boot quickly and drain slowly? These files seems link to ones in /usr/bin/ directory.

I am a newbie Linux learner, sorry for my questions.
cmlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/27/2010, 06:05 AM   #2 (permalink)

Well, forgot another idea, is it possible to check the "alarm list" of WebOS? I want to know when my contacts/calendars sync to Google, when my backup sync to palm profile, and when clock sync do the period sync task. Is it the timetable can be read/output?
Old 08/27/2010, 11:46 PM   #3 (permalink)

Any advice please?
Old 08/28/2010, 01:02 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmlx View Post

Why I want to control background apps? I think WebOS running some useless service in background to make my PalmPre boot system slowly (about 3min) and drain my battery quickly.

I check the directory of my Pre and find some service files in /usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/, I wonder if I rename or even delete some of these files (such as "com.palm.crotest.service", "com.palm.contextupload.service", "com.palm.OnDevLogger.service", etc.), could my Pre works, boot quickly and drain slowly? These files seems link to ones in /usr/bin/ directory.

I am a newbie Linux learner, sorry for my questions.
No, definitely don't touch those. It could break your Pre completely. The 3min+ bootup is normal, even FAST. Nothing opens on startup except the OS.
Old 08/28/2010, 04:20 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIWizard View Post
No, definitely don't touch those. It could break your Pre completely. The 3min+ bootup is normal, even FAST. Nothing opens on startup except the OS.
Thanks for the information, Jason Robitaille has a patch to prevents the upload daemon from starting on boot, Prevent Log Uploads to Palm, so I think there should be some useless services running background, and could be stopped manually.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0