Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Feel free to ignore the background story and skip right on down to the 3 Questions!

I have been an over clocker since the very first 600 Mhz kernel patch with the webosqi install came out

Its been an awesome ride and with every improvement I loved my pre more and more...

But a few weeks ago my original palm pre's power button broke and got stuck inside... I took to Sprint and they ordered me a new one (refurb) and two days later I had my new pre.

It was then that I realized that the Pre I had just given up was beast of a phone! I applied pretty much every kernel to it (never at the same time) and it worked without a hitch, it was great on battery and was just a great phone.

The one I have now will NOT for the life of me allow me to put on SR71 kernel... which is annoying since I was used to the 1.2Ghz. Whenever i have applied it to this one it would get stuck in boot loop and I would have to doctor it using the "hold the up volume key down to boot into USB mode" method. So i gave up on SR71 with the knowledge that i gave up my awesome pre for one of the 'weaker' ones

But now the thing is, there are a few different 1GHz kernels out there... before there was only one cutting edge kernel out so I didnt have to make a choice, but now I have to choose in between Warthog, Thunderchief, Uberkernel, and I am not sure but i think the F102 is also 800Mhz or 1Ghz?

And there are some noticeable differences between them. For example the warthog 1.05Ghz behaves a lot smoother compared to Uberkernel while warthog seems to drain my battery faster than UK. And then there are differences in Compache and what not...

I am not a total noob to this, but I am a noob at having a weak *** pre which cant take everything I throw at it lol.

So my questions to the wiser ones are these:

1. IS there any possible way I can get SR71 working on my Pre again!?!?!?!

2. I know Uberkernel has the best elements of all the kernels, but why is warthog performing better for me? Also what are the best compache settings for the kernels? Right now I dont even have it enabled, but its a useful feature and I would like to know how to properly use it.

3. If there are more, even more cutting edge 1Ghz kernels, what are they? I used Uberkernel and it was not as smooth as Warthog for me, so now im using warthog but my battery seems to suffer more under warthog.

I do not mind doctoring my pre as long as it is in the search of awesome kernels!
    did you try doctoring before applying sr71? Just curious.
    I think the official position of the guys that create all those kernels is that you should only be using them if you are actively participating as a tester in the thread for the particular kernel. They are all considered experimental, and the introduction to each thread is pretty clear that they are only for the adventurous that want to contribute to the effort.

They consider Uberkernel to be the right one for those not willing to help with testing and feedback as they specifically identify in each thread.

I really think you should doctor to make sure there isn't any remnant of a testing kernel, and then use uberkernel as the developers suggest. Just my suggestion... no flames please.
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    Quote Originally Posted by RL View Post
    1. IS there any possible way I can get SR71 working on my Pre again!?!?!?!
    [Yep, Remove all install kernal. Download Palm Recovery in preware. SR71 is available in the testing feeds.
    You obviously didn't read his thread at all.

To the OP - unfortunately, you are pretty much screwed as far as SR71 goes. IF you can get it to boot, you can probably up the voltage. It's already pretty high though, id imagine any higher will cause temp issues... and if not it'll simply consume your battery like a snack.

As far as Warthog goes, yes I notice the same behavior and am also running Warthog at 1.05ghz. It's very smooth on my phone. I have dropped the voltage severely and I still go through batteries like butter. I've just conceded that this is the caveat to having a 1ghz pre with 100+ packages. Keep a charger at work. /shrug
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    I think the official position of the guys that create all those kernels is that you should only be using them if you are actively participating as a tester in the thread for the particular kernel. They are all considered experimental, and the introduction to each thread is pretty clear that they are only for the adventurous that want to contribute to the effort.

They consider Uberkernel to be the right one for those not willing to help with testing and feedback as they specifically identify in each thread.

I really think you should doctor to make sure there isn't any remnant of a testing kernel, and then use uberkernel as the developers suggest. Just my suggestion... no flames please.
    ...most users should stick to uberk, perhaps warthog or the latest uberk in the testing feed...just MHO
    -- VZW Pre+ -- Uberk/Gov fixed @ 1ghz -- QPST gps mod -- stock battery (?mugen 3800?) --
    Agreed. Unless your actually interested in testing and participating in the improvement process just stick to UK. UK just plain works, is fully capable, easy to install and has safety measures built in for your protection.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    did you try doctoring before applying sr71? Just curious.
    Well when i got the Pre I didnt doctor it since I assumed I got it doctored, But then the three times SR71 Failed I did doctor it back to life.

[Yep, Remove all install kernal. Download Palm Recovery in preware. SR71 is available in the testing feeds.

[No comment on which kernel has the best element. Here is a link on how to use compcache: [url]

[Stop using it then, if you're not satisfied using a specific kernal, then you leave it alone.

Good luck. Ps. Webos Doctor is not needed at this time, unless you have really screwed up your phone.
    1. I have not tried the Palm recovery in Preware yet... I think ill try that out though, Thank you.

2. Thank your for the link (but I cant see it!)

3. Well I think everyone who has Overclocked can agree that is really hard going back to stock lol. But Yea i was just wondering if there are any new ones out there that arent as popular as UK, Warthog, SR71.

Well I was one of the Alpha testers for Caj's 720Mhz and 800Mhz kernels back when we werent allowed to tell anyone about them or give out any links, so I am not a total noob at this. And yes UK is the current standard BUT I am one of the adventurous people you were talking about lol.

Quote Originally Posted by 9KRacing View Post
    You obviously didn't read his thread at all.

To the OP - unfortunately, you are pretty much screwed as far as SR71 goes. IF you can get it to boot, you can probably up the voltage. It's already pretty high though, id imagine any higher will cause temp issues... and if not it'll simply consume your battery like a snack.

As far as Warthog goes, yes I notice the same behavior and am also running Warthog at 1.05ghz. It's very smooth on my phone. I have dropped the voltage severely and I still go through batteries like butter. I've just conceded that this is the caveat to having a 1ghz pre with 100+ packages. Keep a charger at work. /shrug
    Ahhh, that makes me sad! No one with the weak pre SR71 problem has been able to fix it?!

And its good to know I am not the only one in this boat lol. Lets hope someone figures out a way to get the weak pres working with SR71!

Quote Originally Posted by jhodnettejr View Post
    ...most users should stick to uberk, perhaps warthog or the latest uberk in the testing feed...just MHO
    Never been a "Most user". I have been overclocking to the fastest possible since it got started without any problems. Its this new pre that wont let me get SR71 anymore

Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    Agreed. Unless your actually interested in testing and participating in the improvement process just stick to UK. UK just plain works, is fully capable, easy to install and has safety measures built in for your protection.
    Yup, but UK is not as smooth as Warthog sadly. Do you know why that is?

Thank you all for your replies
    @shaikh

it isn't about being a noob so much as it's about contributing to the effort, and following the dev's wishes.

I'm sure you can handle the tech. I was just repeating what is in the threads. Don't shoot the messenger.
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    @shaikh

it isn't about being a noob so much as it's about contributing to the effort, and following the dev's wishes.

I'm sure you can handle the tech. I was just repeating what is in the threads. Don't shoot the messenger.
    I am not upset with you lol. No fires shot at the messenger. But I am not taking anything away from the Devs and I have helped the devs in the past and will help in the future if/when needed.

No offense taken and I didnt mean any offense either. to be honest I just wanted to know if there was any way to get SR71 on this particular Pre since it hasnt able to handle it yet and if anyone knew how/why warthog did better than UK for me (and 9KRacing). Dont see why its important to get into who should/should not be OCing. The Devs say "Do this only if you hate your pre" and granted, I dont hate my pre but I dont love it enough to not risk Overclocking it lol.

I know you didnt mean any harm though. Peace Bro
    Sounds like you don't have a Chuck Norris Pre. That's unfortunate as it seems that some just are and some just aren't.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    it's all good. Sort of makes my point as you could be getting answers from the sr71 devs in their thread. Might be something about your pre might be good info for their efforts.

peace out.
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vza33 View Post
    Sounds like you don't have a Chuck Norris Pre. That's unfortunate as it seems that some just are and some just aren't.
    I Had a Chuck Noris Pre... Didnt know how awesome it was until this one showed up
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Your right... I was busy responding to two questions at the same time. I apologize to the OP. I hope my fellow forum member(s) was able to assist you with your problem.
    Haha, no apology needed sir. You were helpful indeed.
    Thanks!
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    it's all good. Sort of makes my point as you could be getting answers from the sr71 devs in their thread. Might be something about your pre might be good info for their efforts.

peace out.
    This is true, I will post there!

Thanks!
    Your right... I was busy responding to two questions at the same time. I apologize to the OP. I hope my fellow forum member(s) was able to assist you with your problem.
    why does it say "forum leader" in your signature?
    @shaikh

....exactly....its kinda a noob thread....its got noobishness all over it...juss sayin....
    -- VZW Pre+ -- Uberk/Gov fixed @ 1ghz -- QPST gps mod -- stock battery (?mugen 3800?) --
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaikh View Post
    Well I was one of the Alpha testers for Caj's 720Mhz and 800Mhz kernels back when we werent allowed to tell anyone about them or give out any links, so I am not a total noob at this.
    Note that the actual kernel code in all those patches, scripts and applications was written by Marco (unixPsycho).

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals