Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    428 Global Posts
    hi everyone so I went ahead and took a leap of faith and bought a palm pre from a member from this forum and lets say I was majorly lied too. So the device I received has some major problems after being told it was new refurbished. First I the slider is either overly tight or something, when I try sliding it up it gets stuck about half way and I have to push it quiet hard to get it up, all the way that's one problem. Second problem I am having horrible weird restarts i will type an email and it will reboot just to the flashing palm logo and it stays there and goes back to normal it's done it about 5 times today p I have already doctored it and it still does it. And last one I have weird yellow blotches on the lower right hand corner and on the whole right side of the phone it isn't huge it just a line that goes down the right side. Now the question to you great people I have a meeting with a service tech tomorrow to diagnose it xo you think they will exchange it or will i be stuck with this bad pre and with a sour taste in my mouth.
    did you tell the seller? If it's within 15days they could send it back
    Mine got stuck because a screw came loose inside the case. You have to take it apart to see if you can see the screw that's rolling around in there.

Just take the battery cover off and then try and look with a flashlight, maybe even looking from the side of the Pre where the two halves come together, about the middle.

In my case, I brought to the Sprint shop and the tech managed to get the screw out, not sure if he screwed it back in or just took it out. He probably screwed it back in.

Not sure about the two other isssues.

Make sure you don't have a homebrew kernel installed. It's not a patch, it's the kernel.

It doesn't always get replaced when doing a doctor (someone can verify that info for me).

You need to get the Pre original kernel back in (preferably before the Sprint guy looks at it, because if that is seen, it will void the warranty).

If you've managed to get Preware on there, go to Other Patches and then go to Kernels at the top, choose the Recovery Kernel, it should say it's the recovery in the description.

Good Luck, if you get these things fixed you will love the Pre.

Not sure why you didn't just get one from the carrier?

Hope I helped you a little.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Global Posts
    428 Global Posts
    yeah emailed him and opened a dispute through paypal but no response I'm just made I was told one thing and got another I have my pixix still I'm going to sprint tomorrow to see what they say I'm just curious with all the problems I'm having will they replace it and how do I figure out if the warranty is still good I hane insurance
    Quote Originally Posted by precon22 View Post
    yeah emailed him and opened a dispute through paypal but no response I'm just made I was told one thing and got another I have my pixix still I'm going to sprint tomorrow to see what they say I'm just curious with all the problems I'm having will they replace it and how do I figure out if the warranty is still good I hane insurance
    If you had the phone turned on by Sprint already, and you have insurance then they probably will cover it.

But to be honest, the deductible will be about $200. Not worth it.

It was originally $100 but I heard someone say $200. Hopefully, I'm wrong with that. But there is a deductible.

Did you get a chance to check for the screw? Did you check to see if you have a Overclocker install. You can use the Govnar app for that.

Rob
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

First I the slider is either overly tight or something, when I try sliding it up it gets stuck about half way and I have to push it quiet hard to get it up, all the way that's one problem.

Second problem I am having horrible weird restarts i will type an email and it will reboot just to the flashing palm logo and it stays there and goes back to normal it's done it about 5 times today p I have already doctored it and it still does it.

And last one I have weird yellow blotches on the lower right hand corner and on the whole right side of the phone it isn't huge it just a line that goes down the right side.
    • if these only show on a plain, light-colored background, I've had this too since my phone was new but on balance it was too small a thing to complain about and I rarely notice it now

Given the above, it's more likely the seller sold you a decent refurb in good faith rather than trying to rip you off. Of course, it's reasonable to expect some sort of response from the seller, but I would've given him or her a couple of days to get back to you before disputing the transaction.
    Global Posts
    428 Global Posts
    no there wasnt any screw and no i havent installed the govanah yet i was really looking forward to doing that, you see i left android to come over to web os and i love it and i was hoping that the palm pre i got was described as it was supposed to be i was going to overclock it and have some fun with it, but to no avail i was duped and now instead of the phone i paid for i got a crappy phone with more problems than any phone i have ever had and im afraid im gonna be stuck into paying more or just be out money.
    Global Posts
    428 Global Posts
    that is what i thought to until i remembered that they phone i was sold, and i quote he told me " its in perfect shape no scratches on the screen at all and it has one nick on the back of the phone that's all" well i get the phone today and it has scratches all over the screen it has more than one nick on the back of the phone like it was dropped a few times before not the phone its self but the touch stone batter cover, i wish i could show you. When i tell someone that i am sending them a perfect shape phone with only certain flaws that is what i send and i expect no different. this phone was said to be only used a few days, well lets put it this way it looks like its been used for a few months. and the accessories, he sent were so gross that the microfiber pouch he sent had dead bugs in it. I'm not here to complain I'm just here to see if Sprint will replace the phone given the problems it has.
    no there wasnt any screw
    It doesn't have to be rattling around to cause problems; if a screw is not completely tightened down it can interfere with the slider action.
    Global Posts
    428 Global Posts
    what is a warranty date code??
    what is a warranty date code??
    The date your phone was manufactured. Dial ##786# to pull it up along with activation date and other useful stats.
    Global Posts
    428 Global Posts
    so mine says ACTDATE:9/5./2009 and the WARRANTYDATECODE: 7/22/2009: which one is the one i would know if im still under warranty and it has one more RECONDATE:5/18/2010
    Your questions were just answered in another thread: warranty date code and act.
    Caveat emptor, my friend. Did you ask for pictures? Did you get the condition of the phone in writing? You are buying something over the internet that is admittedly a used product. Not trying to hammer you, but you really need to be more cautious and thorough.
    As for your issues, #1 - take to your Sprint store. If they replace it, hooray! Wouldn't count on it though. Look for them to direct you to a service shop to get it fixed. #2 Doctor your phone, and read through the posts linked by zParticle. #3 - These splotches, unfortunately, are a common defect. I've had them on all the pre's I've owned. I just learned to look past it, and I don't notice it anymore, unless I'm using it heavily while charging.
    I hope everything works out well for you. Good luck!
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    refurbs are warranted 90s after re-activation. Sprint should take care of it.

question is how you paid for it. If a credit card or paypal i'd file a claim and void the transaction. No excuse for misrepresenting something for sale in a user community like this.

you should also report it to precentral mod or admin...
    Your amazingly calm considering the situation precon22. The marketplace certainly is a "use at your own risk" place but hearing a member was burned there does leave a bad taste.

Could you PM me the link to the Thread?

<<Thread Renamed>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Global Posts
    428 Global Posts
    hi guys sorry for not posting anything, the reason why im calm is because is stuff happens and no need throwing a fit about it now to me it's true I did recieve pic, but no where in pictures did it show this damage it has, or was I told about it, I was told as I previously stated that the phone had been used for a day or two but the front of the phone excluding the batter cover was and I quote "perfect" condition no scratches at all well if you could see what I see that is not true at all. Now I understand that this is a used product BUT ! When a person tells you one thing and you receive something completely different then thers a problem. Now I have already contacted pay pal and they are contacting him. And I will get you the link to the thread that he started and thanks alot for your help ladies and gents.
    PM received....all I can really do for you is document the situation but if something pops up with that user again it will be on record.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Global Posts
    428 Global Posts
    thank you very much.
    The Sprint insurance deductible for the Pre is $100, it is the highest for any phones, older non-smartphones are $50.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast