Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    A little background information on my problem. My phone has only had the headset mode problem two times before and both times it was simply a software problem and went away after a quick fix.

Recently, my headset jack has been permanently stuck in headset mode and is 100% a hardware problem. I've done a partial erase, full erase, and even doctored it. The problem still persists. The only way to get it out is to use the ghastly headset homebrew app and force it to get out of the mode.

I've talked to Palm on their support chat and my options are to send it in and wait 1-2 weeks to get a replacement device or give them $430 and get a replacement device sent to me before I send them my old device. Then when they get my old device back they'll give me $400 back.

I can't do either of Palm's options because I can't go without a phone for up to two weeks and I can't afford to give them $430 upfront. Especially if they see the tiny scratch I have on the side of my Pre and decide to keep my $400 that they would normally give back to me.

My question is if I walk into a Sprint Repair Center, will they fix/replace my Pre right there? If not, will they give me a replacement Pre until they fix my current Pre? Will they charge me for a repair?

FYI: I bought my Pre back in Dec. 09 so I'm pretty sure I'm out of warranty with Sprint. I don't have the TEP (Is it called TEP?) insurance thing where I can pay $100 and get a replacement.

I would really hope they can repair it on the spot quickly and not charge me anything since my family and I have been loyal Sprint customers forever. We even get the employee discount because we're been with them so long.
    I wish you good luck on sprint not charging you buddy. There is a reason why sprint offer insurance. Situation like these. You can still try your luck, the worse that can happen is they might charge you to repair the phone. However, if the phone is un-repairable... then that's a different situation. Ps. Take the phone in and see what happen.

Note: In the future.. Please keep insurance on all your devices.

Good luck.
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Thanks, I guess I'll need it. I have survived with this problem for almost a month now so if Sprint wants to charge me then I'll just stick with my phone and save up money for the next WebOS device.

Or I'll send it to Palm if the world somehow stops around me for 2 weeks...
    I can't imagine owning a smart phone and not paying for the insurance unless I've got a few metric tons of cash laying around.

I just had a phone replaced last week for the headset mode issue. They wanted me to go to a repair center, but I'm outside of their 50 mile radius, so they just honored the insurance and sent me a refurb.

A repair center is going to try a few quick fixes, steal all your pr0n and then order a replacement for you.
    I'm in a similar boat:

Phone is permanently stuck in headset mode, no matter how much I've tried to fix it; power button was stuck (did the fix found here on the forums); and finally my pre has a weird ghost effect, where it's like someone is touching the phone, sometimes to a point that my own inputs do not register, or do something completely different.

Anyway, I've had it since July '09, currently out of warranty and I don't have TEP either. I took it to the Sprint store, and the rep told me they would've fixed it if it was still under warranty (I believe you have a year), regardless of insurance. My other option, according to him, was to pay $100-$120 to get it fixed, but I have no idea how long that takes.

I'm considering getting a Pre plus for cheap (haven't seen anything below $150 yet) and doing the mod to get it working on Sprint. Other than that, I currently have to use the speaker phone for all calls. I doctored it yesterday, seems to help a little with the input issues (less frequent now). At least I have the option of upgrading right now, just patiently waiting for Palm to announce something (I'm actually willing to endure my troubles with the phone until mid-end September, but if it gets worse I might have to test drive the Epic 4g.
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by relic419 View Post
    I'm in a similar boat:

Phone is permanently stuck in headset mode, no matter how much I've tried to fix it; power button was stuck (did the fix found here on the forums); and finally my pre has a weird ghost effect, where it's like someone is touching the phone, sometimes to a point that my own inputs do not register, or do something completely different.

Anyway, I've had it since July '09, currently out of warranty and I don't have TEP either. I took it to the Sprint store, and the rep told me they would've fixed it if it was still under warranty (I believe you have a year), regardless of insurance. My other option, according to him, was to pay $100-$120 to get it fixed, but I have no idea how long that takes.

I'm considering getting a Pre plus for cheap (haven't seen anything below $150 yet) and doing the mod to get it working on Sprint. Other than that, I currently have to use the speaker phone for all calls. I doctored it yesterday, seems to help a little with the input issues (less frequent now). At least I have the option of upgrading right now, just patiently waiting for Palm to announce something (I'm actually willing to endure my troubles with the phone until mid-end September, but if it gets worse I might have to test drive the Epic 4g.
    Thanks for the info! I may still be in warranty from Sprint.

I suggest you look for The Ghastly Headset app as without it I wouldn't be able to make any calls, or receive for that matter (except on speaker/bluetooth). You can *force* the Pre to different modes like headset or phone earspeaker. I have to set it to phone speaker after every call because it resets when the call ends.
    I would go to Sprint repair center. Your warranty is not up until Dec 10. When I've used the repair store they checked out the phone,fix it or order another, call you when it comes in,you go swap phones. Normal wear and tear is covered for 1 year. If your not covered for some reason here is Sprint's repair cost. Good luck.

Last Updated: Jun 07, 2010

If you're not enrolled in Total Equipment Protection (TEP), repairing your device may cost between $99 or $119 depending on your device model for wear and tear, physical damage and mechanical or electrical failures not covered by the manufacturer's warranty.

In the event of loss, theft or physical or liquid damage, purchase or upgrade of a new device will be charged at the full suggested retail price.

For device issues covered by the manufacturer's warranty, there is no charge. The manufacturer's warranty covers mechanical and electrical failures within 1 year from your original activation date.
    Quote Originally Posted by tyler3_o View Post
    Thanks for the info! I may still be in warranty from Sprint.

I suggest you look for The Ghastly Headset app as without it I wouldn't be able to make any calls, or receive for that matter (except on speaker/bluetooth). You can *force* the Pre to different modes like headset or phone earspeaker. I have to set it to phone speaker after every call because it resets when the call ends.
    Unfortunately, I think the earpiece speaker is blown, as I am unable to hear anything even when I manage to temporarily fix the "stuck in headset" mode.
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lazslo11 View Post
    I would go to Sprint repair center. Your warranty is not up until Dec 10. When I've used the repair store they checked out the phone,fix it or order another, call you when it comes in,you go swap phones. Normal wear and tear is covered for 1 year. If your not covered for some reason here is Sprint's repair cost. Good luck.

Last Updated: Jun 07, 2010

If you're not enrolled in Total Equipment Protection (TEP), repairing your device may cost between $99 or $119 depending on your device model for wear and tear, physical damage and mechanical or electrical failures not covered by the manufacturer's warranty.

In the event of loss, theft or physical or liquid damage, purchase or upgrade of a new device will be charged at the full suggested retail price.

For device issues covered by the manufacturer's warranty, there is no charge. The manufacturer's warranty covers mechanical and electrical failures within 1 year from your original activation date.
    Thank you!!!! It looks like this will be covered because it seems to be electrical. Thanks again for this info!!!
    I've had this same problem intermittently since I got the phone in July '09 and I have seen many posts about this issue on this forum and others as well. At one time I thought it was a SW issue such that the Headset Detect signal was not getting handled properly by the SW. But there were also indications that HW must be part of the issue because when I would have an audio cable connected to the AUX input in my vehicle the sound would cut in and out while driving due to the road vibration.

It seemed I could avoid the issue of getting stuck in HS mode by playing audio after taking the audio cable out and making sure I could hear music over the loudspeaker. If I didn’t hear audio I would repeat the process until it worked properly. However a related issue had shown up recently and was getting progressively worse. When using the phone in regular handset mode if I pressed the phone to my ear just slightly too hard, the audio would drop out until I pulled the phone away from head.

A couple of weeks ago I finally took the chance to disassemble the phone (with the help of the lab tech in our group) just enough to see how the audio jack was assembled. I was suspecting there might be a bad solder joint. However when I opened up the Pre I found that the audio jack is not soldered down but has copper tabs that are flexible so as to press against the contact areas on the main board. Additionally the headphone jack sits a bit loose in a plastic cavity such that when I put the earbud jack in and moved or twisted the shroud on the plug the entire jack could be made to move or rotate within the cavity. I also observed that the copper tabs on the jack might not be bent up far enough to make solid contact with the board. So I bent the tabs a bit then reassembled the Pre. I have not had the problem.

So I am convinced that the root cause of the headset stuck issue is the audio jack component not making good contact with the board and the SW sees this lack of contact on the headset detect signal as an indication that the headset is present.
    Quote Originally Posted by lazslo11 View Post
    From what I understand, TEP does cover Loss/theft. In fact, it will cover ANYTHING that happens, including dropping, losing, acts of God, etc. I don't know why it says that.
    I would go look for a used one on ebay. It is going to be flooded with them come the end of the month. I bet you will be able to get one of them real cheap.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    I would go look for a used one on ebay. It is going to be flooded with them come the end of the month. I bet you will be able to get one of them real cheap.

Thats a great way to pay for a phone with a bad ESN. I'd make sure I check the ESN with Sprint or your carrier before purchasing a used phone. Ebaying a Pre seems a little sketchy to me.
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    I think I'm just going to go ahead and try the sprint repair center tomorrow and if that doesn't work then I'll manage with it until the next palm phone comes out. With The Ghastly Headset app, I can use my phone but I just have to remember to force it to phone speaker after every call. Kinda annoying, but manageable.
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Ok, I just got back from taking it into my local Sprint Repair Center. After about 30 minutes of waiting, the guy came back and said he cleaned out the headset and it works fine now. I checked it myself and nothing had changed, it still had the headset problem.

He took it back again and another 10 minutes later he came back and said that there was so much dirt in the jack that it would be out of warranty to clean it out. It didn't make sense that they couldn't completely clean it out. He said that it would cost me $119 for a replacement. I just politely told him that I'd stick with it and left.

I think I'll try taking it into another sprint repair center and see what they do with it. If they still can't fix it then I'll just start saving up money for the next WebOS phone.

Also, funny thing was that when I was there waiting I looked around at the Pre and Pixi in the store. There were no touchstones in sight and the Pre had a pin locked on it. Also, the Pixi's charging cord wasn't the standard Palm one so it kept saying "Charging Battery!" notification which was annoying. The funniest thing though was that Preware was installed on the Pixi! I thought that could only be installed through the computer!?! I wonder who installed it?