1.    #1  
    Sorry if this post is in the wrong area.

After 6 weeks of waiting I finally got my lovely new Palm Pre, unlocked and free with a 24 month Vodafone contract. Ordered from Expansys (largest UK supplier of Mobile Phones etc.) I then spent the following couple of days transferring my calender, tasks, memos and notes from my Palm Desktop into my new Pre. This went perfectly and transferred around 7000 calender entries, tasks, memos and notes. I also used Preware to install patches and applications without a problem.

I then noticed that the Pre became very hot when charging and when in prolonged use. I also found that I was unable to access the Apps Catalog. So I decided to contact Palm and had an online chat with a Technician. It transpired that the Serial Number for my phone did not exist on Palms database and they were concerned as to the origin of my phone. I was told that it definitely wasn’t from the UK or Europe or the US and that was probably why I was unable to access the Apps Catalog. This of course could affect my warranty so I contacted Expansys to try and establish origin. They were unable to tell me but agreed to replace my Pre with another. I backed up my USB drive before restoring to factory settings. All my other data is of course backed up to the ‘cloud’ automatically every day via my Palm Profile.

I received my replacement Pre today and promptly logged into my Palm Profile and the Pre restarted. On checking my restored data I found that only 1 entry has been restored (Ironically the link to PreCentral.com). All my calender entries, tasks, memos, notes, Apps, Patches are nowhere to be seen.

I then contacted Palm again, on another online chat only to be told that the serial number does not exist etc, etc…. Tried WebOS Doctor to restore data – failed. Palm have escalated as to the origin of the phone and the loss of my personal data. I can’t say I’m very confident of a good outcome.

To be continued……..
    use the free trial version oc CompanionLink to transfer all that stuff from palm desktop. Save yourself a ton of work...
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the info....Initial transfer wasn't the problem. Concerned about Palm Profile and so called 'backup'
    if the automatic backup hadn't run before you switched phones, it wasn't backed up...
    Quote Originally Posted by jestor41 View Post
    Thanks for the info....Initial transfer wasn't the problem. Concerned about Palm Profile and so called 'backup'
    Your Palm Profile does not store the memos and other details. It can store your contacts and purchased applications, but not much else.

To save other items, you need to use apps from Preware, such as Save&Restore.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  6.    #6  
    Quote from Palm Pre site:
    Backup and restore
    Back up your Contacts, Calendars, Memos, and Tasks along with preferences and any software downloaded from the App Catalog.1 Backup runs automatically every day over the air–without interrupting you.2 Then retrieve the information when you get a new Palm webOS phone by signing into your Palm profile.
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    Your Palm Profile does not store the memos and other details. It can store your contacts and purchased applications, but not much else.

To save other items, you need to use apps from Preware, such as Save&Restore.
    Actually it does store the memos....

It doesn't store your SMS messages, call logs or any Homebrew.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    I made the painstaking task/decision to offload my info like that (Although memos has always transferred to the now 7 different Pre's I have been through). And while sitting it on Google isn't 100% perfect, I am now resting a LOT easier knowing it's device (and employer!) independent. If I had only considered this a long time ago...:-S

There are quite a few threads about lost data, did you do a search perhaps? Yes I realize search doesn't exactly make sense, lol
    Last edited by copasetic; 10/09/2010 at 05:36 AM. Reason: I can't type