Results 1 to 18 of 18
  1.    #1  
    So first, let me state, yes, I use 2 Centro batteries as spares for my Pre and NO lecturing me about it will be a waste of your typing time. LOL!

    Okay that said, when I was in the hospital for a week, I had one of the Centrol batteries and the original Pre battery in my purse, both of which were fully charged. They were in separate pockets and had not been touched all week.

    The last day I was there, when I was released, there were a ton of delays and hold-ups. The battery that I had in my phone was dying and since I didn't want to dig my charger back out, I decided to just switch out the battery.

    Got one out, put it in and even though it had not been used, when I tried to boot my phone, I got the stupid little icon that it needed charged. (The wall cord.)

    So, I thought: Well, I was ill, so maybe I used it and don't remember.

    I then pulled out the other battery and tried it, same thing. It was also completely dead.

    I asked the nurses and they said other people had had the same problem, but they had no idea why.

    So, why on earth would 2 fully charged batteries, just go dead in my purse, while in the hospital?

    I'm thinking there has to be some type of equipment or something that caused the drain.

    Anyone know or have ideas?

    I did spend a night in the CCU, but at this time, I was out of it and my belongings were locked up in the hospital safe and not on that floor, in my room.

    They weren't brought to me, until I was moved to a different unit.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  2. #2  
    I suppose there must be some amount of EM that could screw up your batteries but that same amount of EM would have also likely killed you :-)

    How old are the Centro batts?
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
  3. #3  
    Batteries lose charge over time. My ipod does it all the time. I charge it up with the intent to use it but never do. 2 months later I go to use it and its dead.

    Batteries shouldn't go from full to empty in a week or two, but if these are older batteries, maybe that is what happened.
  4. #4  
    The same thing happened to me the other day. I knew the battery was not empty however, so I ignored the Charge and Empty battery icons diplayed on the Pre. I removed and reinserted the battery twice. The second time my pre booted and the battery showed 100% capacity. I believe sometimes the phone doesn't always get a proper read on a different battery when inserted. This had happened on a previous occasion and I trusted the icons. Now I know better.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan


    Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    I suppose there must be some amount of EM that could screw up your batteries but that same amount of EM would have also likely killed you :-)

    How old are the Centro batts?
    I'm not sure how old they are, I bought them from someone on Ebay, however I did use Internalz to check the batteries, as per the details posted in the thread on that and they both have over 80% of their original life left.



    Quote Originally Posted by Devilsbane View Post
    Batteries lose charge over time. My ipod does it all the time. I charge it up with the intent to use it but never do. 2 months later I go to use it and its dead.

    Batteries shouldn't go from full to empty in a week or two, but if these are older batteries, maybe that is what happened.
    You could be right, since as stated above, I have no idea how old they are, they had just been charged though, so had only been sitting in my purse for that week. I went into the hospital on Sunday, they were fully charged on Saturday and was released the following Saturday, and as I was waiting for all the paperwork to go through, they were both dead.



    Quote Originally Posted by vza33 View Post
    The same thing happened to me the other day. I knew the battery was not empty however, so I ignored the Charge and Empty battery icons diplayed on the Pre. I removed and reinserted the battery twice. The second time my pre booted and the battery showed 100% capacity. I believe sometimes the phone doesn't always get a proper read on a different battery when inserted. This had happened on a previous occasion and I trusted the icons. Now I know better.

    I did try to remove and reinsert the batts, several times, just got the same wall cord symbol, each time.

    I even wondered if it was something weird at the hospital, so when I got home, I tried them both again and still no luck. When I plugged them in to charge, it took the usual amount of time for them to charge a little, then my Pre finally booted.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  6. #6  
    batteries lose charge over time. I toss my spare battery on a charger every weekend to make sure it's full if/when I need it. They will drain slowley even if they aren't connected to antthing
  7. #7  
    In my experience a Li-Ion batt that loses it's full change in a week (time-line verwon talked about) is fubar.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    In my experience a Li-Ion batt that loses it's full change in a week (time-line verwon talked about) is fubar.
    Yes, like I said, it wasn't a long time period for when I would normally expect them to drain.

    Also, as I said, this was NOT both of the Centro batteries, one of them was in my phone, being used.

    This was one of the Centro batteries and the original Pre battery and they both completely drained. That's why I was wondering if anyone had any ideas, because it makes no sense.

    However, ryleyinstl, I'm seriously concerned about fubar, as something at the hospital could have messed them up permanently, if it had that effect on them and I think I will order myself a few more to have on hand, just in case. Thanks!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    batteries lose charge over time. I toss my spare battery on a charger every weekend to make sure it's full if/when I need it. They will drain slowley even if they aren't connected to antthing
    Yes, but as was pointed out, I'm only talking a week here and that is not normal for these batteries to experience a complete drain.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  10. twbbas's Avatar
    Posts
    87 Posts
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    #10  
    My spare Mugen 1400 battery keeps its charge at 100% for weeks for me.
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    So, why on earth would 2 fully charged batteries, just go dead in my purse, while in the hospital?
    Were the battery contacts insulated in any way or were they exposed so that something conductive could have caused them to discharge?

    I know it's a long shot but still possible.

    Have these 2 batteries ever drained that rapidly before?
  12. #12  
    its so simple, I can't believe anyone missed this, in your confusion you didn't notice that; the guy in the next hospital bed had a pre and was using your batteries when you were sleeping. /jk

    I say its the Hospitals equipment.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by abegee View Post
    I say its the Hospitals equipment.
    Well, if the Hospital's equipment is somehow screwing up batteries, just imagine what it's doing to the patients!
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    Were the battery contacts insulated in any way or were they exposed so that something conductive could have caused them to discharge?

    I know it's a long shot but still possible.

    Have these 2 batteries ever drained that rapidly before?
    No, they've never done it, before. And no, as I stated they were in separate pockets. My purse has two little pockets on each side for holding stuff and they are the perfect size to carry spare batteries, but thanks for the idea.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by abegee View Post
    its so simple, I can't believe anyone missed this, in your confusion you didn't notice that; the guy in the next hospital bed had a pre and was using your batteries when you were sleeping. /jk

    I say its the Hospitals equipment.
    ROFL! I might have thought that, except in the condition I was in, they don't put you in a communal room, I was alone the whole week in private rooms.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    Well, if the Hospital's equipment is somehow screwing up batteries, just imagine what it's doing to the patients!
    Good point! LOL! Kind of a scary thought!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    I suppose there must be some amount of EM that could screw up your batteries but that same amount of EM would have also likely killed you :-)

    How old are the Centro batts?
    An EM Or EMF wont really kill you per say an MRI is one hell of a strong EM EMF Electromagnetic field if you are with in say 1000 feet of a MRI unit it can put a slow drain on your battery's that or they are old and failing i can see this with the centro battery because they are most likely old as Li-Ion battery's get old they start having more and more internal resistance and this can cause them to go dead or not hold a charge i am thinking in this case its something in the hosp, that's causing this...
    Sprint Palm Pre/Verizon Pre Plus On Sprint/Sprint Pixi Hybrid with WIFI
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by gitit20 View Post
    An EM Or EMF wont really kill you per say an MRI is one hell of a strong EM EMF Electromagnetic field if you are with in say 1000 feet of a MRI unit it can put a slow drain on your battery's that or they are old and failing i can see this with the centro battery because they are most likely old as Li-Ion battery's get old they start having more and more internal resistance and this can cause them to go dead or not hold a charge i am thinking in this case its something in the hosp, that's causing this...
    Please remember that one of the Centro batts was in my phone and I had no problems with it, at all. When I was, once again, given my personal items, it still had plenty of charge left and it wasn't until after several hours of chatting with my son and someone else close, that I had to pull out my Touchstone and plug it in. And my Pre was in my purse, with the other batteries. However, the only ones that drained were the ones that were not being used.

    I think it seems you may be right and it was something in the hospital that caused it.

    They were nowhere near an MRI or anything, though. I didn't have one done and the machines are way down in the hospital basement.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!

Posting Permissions