1.    #1  
    I am trying to set up a new phone (replacement for busted Pre Plus). I dutifully backed up with Palm's own backup, SaveRestore, and Pre Backup Utility, and the "Save Packages List" in Preware. I am following the instructions on the web page titled "Understanding the Homebrew Save/Restore App". I am at the point of chosing "Saved Package List" and click "Install All" (in Preware). It started downloading the apps on the list, and got to icd9webos (a program for medical people) and there it hangs....the round ring circling and it says "Downloading/Installing icd9webos" .... forever (well for 30 minutes). So I closed Preware, tried again...same problem. So I deleted icd9webos from the package list in preware, and again tried to install the apps one at a time. Same problem. Grr. Can anyone help? Thanks, Jim
    It sounds like you don't have a good signal. If you have a good EVDO signal, try it with Wifi off and see if that works.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    I have something similar. I didnt back up but I get an error installing Preware on my new phone from QuickInstall. It installs, but it will not update the feeds. It says "The service is not running. First try restarting Preware, or reboot your phone and try again." I have restarted several times and tried changing the settings and I cant figure it out.
    If an app hangs in the install. Swipe back, swipe to delete the offending app from the list, close preware then reopen preware, go back to the saved package list and continue where you left off. Rinse and repeat as necessary. Anything that doesn't install there can be re-installed manually.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
  5.    #5  
    It sounds like you don't have a good signal. If you have a good EVDO signal, try it with Wifi off and see if that works.
    Thanks. But no, a strong signal. Tried it on a strong wifi connection, and 3g.
    Baffled.
    (What's EVDO?)
    Quote Originally Posted by jimfuchs View Post
    Thanks. But no, a strong signal. Tried it on a strong wifi connection, and 3g.
    Baffled.
    (What's EVDO?)
    See post #4... that is how you fix your issue.

EVDO = 3G data connection
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    I'm having the same issue. Seems that it is any app that is listed as type "unknown" and instead of the app icon, it shows the cardboard box icon. Is this a known issue with Preware?

Mine-Sprint Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4G/LTE
    Sprint Pre, 1.4.5 overclocked with F102A Delta Dagger - retired 12-18-11
    Wife's- Sprint LG Viper 4G/LTE
    R.I.P. - My Launch day Pre - 06-06-09--04-18-11

Never trust a computer (or phone) named after a fruit.
    sometimes the order a patch is installed can matter, especially if they want a restart that it doesn't get.

you can probably see that it hangs on the same one. Several choices:

1. Delete that patch and then install later.

2. Restart and keep going.

3. Install each one from the list individually.

what I do is install the ones I care most about first, especially the mega/combo launcher patches. Once the inportant ones are on, then I let it try to do the rest automatically.

you can probably tell that I don't think it is a connection issue. Let us know if this works. It always works for me.
    Some apps just won't install from the Saved Package List it seems. I would just make a list of them, and reinstall them from scratch.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Quote Originally Posted by prolongexistence View Post
    I'm having the same issue. Seems that it is any app that is listed as type "unknown" and instead of the app icon, it shows the cardboard box icon. Is this a known issue with Preware?
    that may indicate that they didn't come from preware. There are several I use that came from quickinstall.
    Quote Originally Posted by prolongexistence View Post
    That is not an issue it is a feature.
    Preware can only install apps /patches/themes from the feeds that it has or is given. If you then install a package from outside of those feeds then Preware will still be able to save the name to the saved package list but will not be able to reinstall after a deletion because it hasn't go access to the ipk.

I wish I could have worded this better, but its late and my thought is trailing.

Pip