1.    #1  
    i am always reading all these tips about saving your battery and people having problems with their battery.

it is the 3g (evdo) signal that is robbing the power.

by turning off your data connection while the phone is in your pocket or in a bad signal area, you will still receive phone calls and text messages and your battery will last all day.

in the phone app-phone preferences -turn of data connection -then just slide it back on when getting email or using the web.

Tip is from:
    jon0604
    I loaded the “Data in Device Menu” patch to make it quicker to turn data on off and on.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Global Posts
    205 Global Posts
    When I replaced my battery recently, the Verizon tech told me that I shouldn't leave my Pre Plus on the TS any longer than 2 hours. Doesn't the battery stop charging after it's to full capacity?
    Global Posts
    422 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JJCook View Post
    When I replaced my battery recently, the Verizon tech told me that I shouldn't leave my Pre Plus on the TS any longer than 2 hours. Doesn't the battery stop charging after it's to full capacity?
    I'm pretty sure it does. I leave my Pre Plus on throughout the night (Well over 2 hours) and my battery is fine. The battery life on the Pre/Pre Plus isn't great to begin with, but leaving the phone on the touchstone for more than 2 hours does not contribute to that. - unless I am missing something.
    - Verizon Palm Pre Plus UberKernel Screenstate 500/1000
    - Microsoft Zune HD 32gb
    was he insinuating this kills the battery? i don't think that's true anymore.
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    what I have been told of modern rechargeable of this type is that topping them of regularly is good for the most part and every week or 2 you should let it drain and then recharge fully to refresh the internal gauge. Old batteries it was always best to empty all the way then fill all the way but that is not the case with these so leaving it on the TS shouldn't really hurt it to badly. Of course any unnecessary recharging does age it a bit quicker and the phone will allow itself to drain to 95% then refill to 100% while on the ts for extended periods of TS use do "technically" age it faster I don't it's enough to be concerned about. Especially as sprint has been very good about just handing out replacement batteries to people.
    When I replaced my battery recently, the Verizon tech told me that I shouldn't leave my Pre Plus on the TS any longer than 2 hours....?
    You have been lied to....

Pre uses a Li-Ion battery. Basically you can do what ever you'd like to it and over the expected life of the phone (2y) and the battery life will basically stay the same.
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 08/26/2010 at 02:15 PM.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by jon0604 View Post
    i am always reading all these tips about saving your battery and people having problems with their battery.

it is the 3g (evdo) signal that is robbing the power.

by turning off your data connection while the phone is in your pocket or in a bad signal area, you will still receive phone calls and text messages and your battery will last all day.

in the phone app-phone preferences -turn of data connection -then just slide it back on when getting email or using the web.

Tip is from:
    jon0604
    This reasoning always bothered me. Its a smartphone for a reason, and that reason includes data 24/7. I've got 3 email accounts, twitter, FB, etc. and I dont want to have to manually switch the data on to find out that i have a ton of notifications.

I just keep a charger with me/keep them at work, car, home, etc.
    Moto Razr>>BlackBerry 8703e>>Moto Q>>Blackberry Curve 8330>>Blackberry Storm>>Palm Pre +
    Quote Originally Posted by lupos View Post
    what I have been told of modern rechargeable of this type is that topping them of regularly is good for the most part and every week or 2 you should let it drain and then recharge fully to refresh the internal gauge. Old batteries it was always best to empty all the way then fill all the way but that is not the case with these so leaving it on the TS shouldn't really hurt it to badly. Of course any unnecessary recharging does age it a bit quicker and the phone will allow itself to drain to 95% then refill to 100% while on the ts for extended periods of TS use do "technically" age it faster I don't it's enough to be concerned about. Especially as sprint has been very good about just handing out replacement batteries to people.
    exactly. i always let my battery completely die once every two weeks or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by callen10 View Post
    This reasoning always bothered me. Its a smartphone for a reason, and that reason includes data 24/7. I've got 3 email accounts, twitter, FB, etc. and I dont want to have to manually switch the data on to find out that i have a ton of notifications.

I just keep a charger with me/keep them at work, car, home, etc.
    I'm with you on this....it's like buying a sports car and then driving it like Grandmother to save on petrol.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    I have touchstones at home, car and office. My Pre Plus lives from one touchstone to another. Some of the “Tecsperts” advice can be funny.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    I think the mistake is assuming that any "Tecspert" in a cell phone store is an expert on anything except how to make commissions.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    yep, 2 chargers at home, 1 in car, and a TS at work for me...
  14.    #14  
    I think some of you are missing the point. I work in a building that resembles a cave as far as 3g signal goes and besides i am usually busy working. Also, the main purpose for understanding what kills the battery, is to design options. For instance, just as each email account has options on how long to wait before grabbing email etc.., maybe this is a good possibility for how long and when to search for a signal. Personally i dont need to know what one of my friends are doing every second (twitter, facebook)-i can wait at least 15 minutes or more to find out. Besides, if it is important they could just send me a text or call. For those who think it is not a smart phone just because i save my battery for a period of time and not twittering what i am doing "now", i completely disagree. It is a smart phone for its capability when i need it. I would just like to have the option to decide when i care.

Also i believe Li-Ion batteries do better the more they are charged , not by draining them down...