1.    #1  
    With the End of Life for the Pre Plus on VZ apparently looming just 2 months away, does this wipe away any hopes of them issuing a GPS fix? Mine still only works if I open maps and then open VZ Nav. And then it won't update my location unless I close Nav and open it again. I've tried ALL the tricks and supposed fixes, but none has worked for ME (though I am sincerely grateful to all those out there who are smart enough to try and think of ways around this bug!). Anyway, I was just wondering if this means we should essentially give up any hopes of a fix.
    http://www.precentral.net/app-galler...atalog/gps-fix

Try this app ^^

....but ya, I would be really angry if I was a VZW customer.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    I think we have to accept the fact that VZW has waited us out and little to nothing is going to be done for us. I expect the 1.4.5. update out eventually, tho I doubt GPS will ever be resovled. I simply hope that when 2.0 is released, which will be after EOL for the Pre Plus, that they will push it out to us.
    I'm going to start a class action lawsuit about the GPS if they don't fix it. You are more than welcome to take part.
    Yeah welcome to the wonderful world that is Verizon.

I just shake my head, laugh, and say "No thanks, Sprint is fine for me" when my friends ask why I don't switch or try to taunt me with their "Superior Network" BS. I live in Houston, I could have any network and I'd have great signal and fast speeds (well maybe not AT&T but who cares about them).

Verizon is just probably, IMO, the worst carrier ever and yet tons of people love them. Kinda like apple.
    One of the writers for P|C supposedly had some kind of dialog with big red regarding this issue earlier in the week. He is doing some baking with that info (muffins?) and plans to inform us all later about what came out of the conversation....

http://forums.precentral.net/general...any-input.html

....and in this thread bellow:

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ml#post2627873
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 08/26/2010 at 03:11 PM.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    Install GPS Fix. Problem solved!
    While GPSFix did resolve my GPS lock problems on my Verizon Pre Plus, it is a crying shame that a company like Verizon can hijack its own customers so they can market their own Verizon Navigator. Verizon has really done a disservice to the Palm community by not advertising the phones, trying to sell their walk-in customers anything but a Palm phone, purchasing the rights to NFL Mobile that was working fine on Sprint but not support it on the WebOS and delaying the update to 1.4.1.1 for almost two months. Now they are holding back the 1.4.5 update as well. Verizon may have great coverage and service but have not shown any interest in providing for the needs of this community.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Quote Originally Posted by tallarob View Post
    Install GPS Fix. Problem solved!
    Didn't fix my Verizon Pre Plus. But I gave up on this, I am waiting for 1.4.5, hope it comes out soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    Didn't fix my Verizon Pre Plus. But I gave up on this, I am waiting for 1.4.5, hope it comes out soon.
    GPSFix will allow your Verizon Pre Plus the get a decent GPS lock but you need mess with it a little. You also need to be outside so you can get a good initial GPS lock. GPSFix now has a patch that you can run to keep it active. Give it another try - This will probably be more successful than waiting for 1.4.5 from Verizon.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    I'm not sure if I understand what the issue is - I have a regular GPS unit (a Magellan), and it's accurate down to about 50-100 ft. Which isn't terrible, but could be better, but for the price, eh.

Meanwhile, my Pre Plus on Verizon seems about as accurate; the only time I used Google Maps extensively, was I was walking around downtown Sacramento Memorial Day weekend. Got me where I needed to be, and it updated itself pretty quickly. This was before I patched my phone and whatnot.

I'm less worried about what Big Red is not doing, than what Palm should be doing with their SW updates. Too much annoying lag on the pin lock screen or phone app when typing in numbers, and speed dial is hit or miss. Part of that is dependent on Verizon rolling out the updates, but I'm hoping for something big in WebOS 2.0
  12.    #12  
    LOVE my Pre. Hate VZ. I only switched from Sprint b/c I didn't get service where I'd recently moved. Fortunately VZ screwed up somehow on my contract and it ended up only being 19 months instead of 24 (I think this is b/c I had a month to month and was using a friend's old VZ phone for a few months before buying a new phone and getting a contract). I will be OFF Verizon the day my contract is up.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    GPSFix also noticeably shortened my battery life. Verizon needs to fix this.
    My GPS has been horrendous lately. Driving home last week down I-94 from the Northern Suburbs into Chicago, Google Maps had me pegged north of Milwaukee for a good 20 minutes. Earlier this week along the same road it had me 15-20 miles west of O'Hare.

Most of the time though I'm still struggling just to get a fix. GPSfix has failed to do anything, and I'm noticing now even opening VZ Navigator isn't working a majority of the time. What a crock.
    I *am* working with Verizon on this, at least for a little while longer. Waiting on some info from Verizon before I say more. As for the problem, it's that unless Google Location is turned on, the only way 3rd party apps on the Verizon Wireless Pre Plus can reliably unlock and get ongoing fixes from the built-in hardware GPS is after launching VZ Navigator, whether or not the user has a subscription. The GPS Fix app (and accompanying patch) aid in and/or automate (with the patch) that VZ Navigator launch/closing process, but are not able to resolve the underlying cause. {Jonathan}
    Prof. Jonathan I. Ezor
    Writer, PreCentral
    Past Palm Real Reviewer
    @webOSquire on Twitter
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by kitt9580 View Post
    My GPS has been horrendous lately. Driving home last week down I-94 from the Northern Suburbs into Chicago, Google Maps had me pegged north of Milwaukee for a good 20 minutes. Earlier this week along the same road it had me 15-20 miles west of O'Hare.

Most of the time though I'm still struggling just to get a fix. GPSfix has failed to do anything, and I'm noticing now even opening VZ Navigator isn't working a majority of the time. What a crock.
    Well, I think we are just S-O-L on this one. It's nobody's fault but my own. I did lots of research before buying my Pre Plus, but it never even dawned on me to check and see if the GPS actually worked. Had I known that it didn't and that AT&T would be releasing the Pre Plus, I would have waited. As it is, I am now stuck with VZ until 12/11. They can rest assured I will NOT be a customer one day longer than my contract. Love my Pre. Hate Verizon.
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    Well, I think we are just S-O-L on this one. It's nobody's fault but my own. I did lots of research before buying my Pre Plus, but it never even dawned on me to check and see if the GPS actually worked. Had I known that it didn't and that AT&T would be releasing the Pre Plus, I would have waited. As it is, I am now stuck with VZ until 12/11. They can rest assured I will NOT be a customer one day longer than my contract. Love my Pre. Hate Verizon.
    Verizon advertises this phone as having a working GPS. Since the GPS does not work, has Verizon not broken the contract and thus we do not have to stay with them?