Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213 LastLast
    Last night I made the switch to Uber from f105. I feel a more crisp response in performance compared to the Chief. I'm still riding the lightning.

EDIT: Posting this portion in the Govnah thread. The Governor selection outside of sreenstate and userspace were rather interesting. Specifically the 'Conservative and Ondemand' Govnah selections with all of it's Parameter tweaks. Left me scratching my head a bit. I'm so intrigued by all of it, but don't know where to begin.

When I used the userspace Govnah, I notice that when I put my phone to charge it doesn't scale down to 500mhz. Is that the way it is set, or is there a way around that?

I'm also seeing a lot of users setting the min frequency to 250mhz over 125mhz... Why is that? I would think that 125mhz is the most convenient for battery life during idle times no?

In terms of battery life, I do notice some pretty quick drain. About 30% in the last 40-50 minutes. All while here on the forums.

I've read some good feedback from people who scaled up their compcache from 16mb and the default 20480, up to 24mb and higher. I think I'll give it a go and see if the same works for me. I never noticed a difference when I tried that on f105.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers

"Keeping the smart phone world at peace one PALM at a time"

Me and Dropbox, sitting in a tree. S-Y-N-C-I-N-G. http://db.tt/qetBsiR
    lol im just curious to see when the processors in these phones start giving out. double the recommended frequency cant be THAT good for these phones haha
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
  3.    #163  
    Quote Originally Posted by cnote1287 View Post
    lol im just curious to see when the processors in these phones start giving out. double the recommended frequency cant be THAT good for these phones haha
    Manufacturers guaranteed lifetime at 500MHz is 100000 hours.

At 600MHz it is 44000 hours.

You do the math.

Of course the guaranteed lifetime of the Mars rovers was 90 days ...

We don't put the disclaimers in the description for nothing.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    905 Global Posts
    according to my math at 1gz it should die in about 5.7 years... lol (assuming 1gz cuts the life span in half) I'm pretty sure I'll have a new phone by then.... ;-)

as for the mars rover:

Jan 3, 2009 ... NASA's Mars rovers are celebrating their fifth birthday on the Red Planet, exceeding their original life span by four years and nine months
    Last edited by ToddK; 08/29/2010 at 07:47 PM.
    After playing with my Pre alot, I just can't not donate for all of you WebOS internals guys.. So I just donated
    @rwhitby - are there any benefits/downfalls to using the newest stable linux kernel 2.6.35.4 ? I mean anything you see that may be able to be done that could benefit the phone.

Just Curious.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddK View Post
    according to my math at 1gz it should die in about 5.7 years... lol (assuming 1gz cuts the life span in half)
    Well, since it lists 600 MHz at 5.02 years, I would think that it's not linear, and 1GHz would probably be less than 5 years...probably looking at 2-3 years max (not enough datapoints though)
    Quote Originally Posted by tucamsam View Post
    Well, since it lists 600 MHz at 5.02 years, I would think that it's not linear, and 1GHz would probably be less than 5 years...probably looking at 2-3 years max (not enough datapoints though)
    well, my attempt at extrapolation is this:
    500--> 100000 hrs
    600--> 44000 hrs, or 44%
    700--> 44k x .44= 19360 hrs
    800--> 19360 x .44= 8518 hrs
    900--> 8518 x .44= 3748 hrs
    1Ghz--> 3748 x .44= 1649 hrs, or app. 68 days

let's hope that's not how it works!
  9.    #169  
    Quote Originally Posted by booyapre View Post
    well, my attempt at extrapolation is this:
    500--> 100000 hrs
    600--> 44000 hrs, or 44%
    700--> 44k x .44= 19360 hrs
    800--> 19360 x .44= 8518 hrs
    900--> 8518 x .44= 3748 hrs
    1Ghz--> 3748 x .44= 1649 hrs, or app. 68 days

let's hope that's not how it works!
    I've previously posted an extrapolation for 800MHz based on the increase in voltage for each freq, but don't have it handy at the moment, nor do I have any way of knowing whether it reflects reality in any way.

-- Rod
    'First' one to reach the end of their life span is a rotten egg! lol
    Pre|central Peacekeepers

just noticed this today, but Govnah is telling me my frequency is at 500 mhz. I had it set to screen state 500/1g. I then switched the low to 250, high 1ghz, govnah is still telling me my frequency is 500 (my impression of the phone speed is that it is indeed running stock).

I have been using uber and govnah for quite a while, never noticed this at 800/500 screen state, and checked a bunch when I first switched to 1ghz, and never observed this problem.

(btw: Vzw pre plus)

**ok, apparently I had accidentally lowered my screen brightness all the way down, so that govnah wasn't picking up my screenstate properly. My bad, I suck. Govnah still rules, uberkernel still rules, WebOS internals rules, Rod Whitby rules
    Last edited by Courousant; 08/30/2010 at 11:38 AM.
    nevermind, still stuck at 500 Mhz. Not really sure what the problem is, never had any issues with Govnah/Uber before...
    left the house today with 100% battery at 9:00am have only been texting here and there, some very light facebook and a couple brief phone calls. Never had multiple cards open or left open. Ran a Luna because the no notifications during calls patch has stopped working, did a battery pull, uninstalled - ran a Luna, re-installed - ran a Luna. Had breakfast, a few more texts afterwards and checked my facebook. It is now 1:06pm and my battery sits at 24%.
    I am not a happy camper.

not sure if this is related to recently installing Uber,but it has started up since I installed it. I have experienced a few hiccups and weird occurences. I made a call to my cousin, was leaving a voice mail, when he called me in the middle of it. I took the phone off of my ear to answer the call but my screen stayed idle, I pressed the power button and closed and opened my phone but nothing happened; all of a sudden the line swapped over and my cousins call was connected and the screen turned back on. In preware I've experienced some freeze ups that have lasted 10 seconds or higher. And last night I Was syncing a friends contact and it dialed his number out of nowhere, and I swiped the call away but the phone ket on ringing until I opened the phone app and hung it up mysel by touching the end call tab.

Even with all of the recent shenanigans,Its the battery life that's really erking me.

EDIT: I have discovered the reason behind no notification during call patch not working.

In other news, peple are booking flights to fly with my Pre Plus, it's fast; but they are upset that there are no non stop flights due to lack of battery power. So they must make occasional stops and transfer flights to get to their destinations. The peanuts are good and there are no baggage fees, just be sure to pack your touchstone.
    Last edited by RoLLEmUp; 08/30/2010 at 08:33 PM.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers

Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    I'm not sure how scientific this is (btw, I'm running screenstate 125/1000) and it seems that when I turn it on, the temp spikes up from basically room temperature to about 35C. I've also noticed that when running UK, my phone doesn't really feel that hot even though it says it is hot. I notice much more heat after charging on TS and when heavy downloading big apps...
    is screenstate 125/1000 an OK setting, or should I up the lower setting?
  15.    #175  
    Quote Originally Posted by tucamsam View Post
    I'm not sure how scientific this is (btw, I'm running screenstate 125/1000) and it seems that when I turn it on, the temp spikes up from basically room temperature to about 35C. I've also noticed that when running UK, my phone doesn't really feel that hot even though it says it is hot. I notice much more heat after charging on TS and when heavy downloading big apps...
    is screenstate 125/1000 an OK setting, or should I up the lower setting?
    Govnah reports the temperature at the transistor junctions on the silicon wafer inside the OMAP3430 SoC inside your phone. This is what affects the lifetime of the CPU.

Your hand mainly feels the temperature of the battery, which is most dependent on charging/discharging rates and cellular radio usage. This affects the lifetime of your battery.

The battery is easier to replace

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Govnah reports the temperature at the transistor junctions on the silicon wafer inside the OMAP3430 SoC inside your phone. This is what affects the lifetime of the CPU.

Your hand mainly feels the temperature of the battery, which is most dependent on charging/discharging rates and cellular radio usage. This affects the lifetime of your battery.

The battery is easier to replace

-- Rod
    This explanation looks familiar... Ahhh yes, I asked the same question once before
    Pre|central Peacekeepers

Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    Makes plenty of sense to me...probably should've been able to figure that out on my own, but that's why they have forums, isn't it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Courousant View Post
    nevermind, still stuck at 500 Mhz. Not really sure what the problem is, never had any issues with Govnah/Uber before...
    Same here. I don't know why?
  19.    #179  
    Quote Originally Posted by puyobwoc View Post
    Same here. I don't know why?
    If you see temperature in Govnah, then it's because your device is too hot or it is charging.

If you don't see temperature, then the kernel is not installed properly.

-- Rod
    Will this work on a regular Palm Pre? I installed it on mine, only does 500/800, when I select 500/1000 nothing happens!