Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Maybe... The line of thought runs like this:

More voltage = more cycles = more heat = reduced life as a result thermal breakdown

However the debate over whether you actually end up with more heat is ongoing. The race to idle theory is one school of thought.

If true you could actually get longer than anticipated life out of a given chip by reducing operating temps or the duration the materials are subjected to those temps because the processor gets things done faster and sits idle more than it would running at half the speed to accomplish the same tasks.

Or... we could all fry our processors in the next ten minutes...
    Hehe, thank God for TEC.

You are correct as well... running it at 500mhz will certainly lengthen the life of your CPU - voltage and heat are killers for sure. I was just sayin' that the actual jump from 500mhz to 1ghz and back isn't any more tasking than just running it at a set speed. I think he was under the impression it was like bending a spoon 50+ times.
    Finally made a donation (sorry, long overdue as I have been using the kernels for a while, PreCentral effectively guilted me though).

Anyway, the Uber1G installation was flawless and my phone runs great. Thanks for the hard work.
    Hi
    I cannot download the Uberkernel for WebOS 1.4.0 using Preware (1.2.7). I have checked that preware is reading the correct feeds, and I have even manually inserted the feeds, but I sill get a message saying: "this package is not currently available for webOS 1.4.0. This may be installed as a placeholder to notify when an update is available"

I want to overclock my pre!!! any leads on how to get uberkernel will be much appreciated...

JP
    Hey what does this update do to the palm pixi plus? What is new to the palm pixi. I am Running 1.4.1.1 for verizon. I am still waiting for the 1.4.5 update. -_-
    Quote Originally Posted by 9KRacing View Post
    Hehe, thank God for TEC.

You are correct as well... running it at 500mhz will certainly lengthen the life of your CPU - voltage and heat are killers for sure. I was just sayin' that the actual jump from 500mhz to 1ghz and back isn't any more tasking than just running it at a set speed. I think he was under the impression it was like bending a spoon 50+ times.
    In the end, whichever mode creates the most heat for the longest periods of time will have the biggest negative impact on CPU life regardless what speed it is running at.

Yeah, definitely not like bending the spoon.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Quote Originally Posted by 9KRacing View Post
    is there a thread somewhere that discusses these issues? To me set speed, even higher ones are easier on the cpu than multiple jumps up and down while scaling...imho
    -- VZW Pre+ -- Uberk/Gov fixed @ 1ghz -- QPST gps mod -- stock battery (?mugen 3800?) --
    Quote Originally Posted by jhodnettejr View Post
    is there a thread somewhere that discusses these issues? To me set speed, even higher ones are easier on the cpu than multiple jumps up and down while scaling...imho
    You can google Race to Idle and find a lot of discussion material.
    Global Posts
    672 Global Posts
    Amazing speed & stability. Loving running at 1Ghz.
    As of an hour ago my pre+ for VZ is no longer stock. This motivated me enough to finally start messing with it although I am a noob. I installed uberkernel and Govnah but for some reason Govnah says its still running at 500MHz... What do I do now??
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffyfrogg View Post
    As of an hour ago my pre+ for VZ is no longer stock. This motivated me enough to finally start messing with it although I am a noob. I installed uberkernel and Govnah but for some reason Govnah says its still running at 500MHz... What do I do now??
    Uninstall the kernel, and reinstall it. Usually fixes that. Did for me..

"jumps" or "scaling" actually have nothing to do with cpu life. CPU speed is simply a product of multipliers and FSB speed. Voltage is what shortens a cpu's life. (well that and heat, but you need voltage to create heat) The actual event of a CPU "scaling" to speed is no harder on it than just running at the previous speed. (Not factoring in the fact that you need to increase voltage to increase speed)
    it's all very interesting...i've read a bit on race to idle and was hoping for an indepth discussion @ p|c...

i'm trying to "get" the reason for scaling at all, i'd think one speed would be the ideal...
    -- VZW Pre+ -- Uberk/Gov fixed @ 1ghz -- QPST gps mod -- stock battery (?mugen 3800?) --
    it's all very interesting...i've read a bit on race to idle and was hoping for an indepth discussion @ p|c...

i'm trying to "get" the reason for scaling at all, i'd think one speed would be the ideal...

Well mainly because the "race to idle" page is very, very, very simplified. In reality, a 1ghz processor won't actually render a picture TWICE as fast as a 500mhz processor. And in actuality you can easily use twice the juice on a CPU only overclocked to 50%... a 100% overclock would use an absurd amount of voltage compared to a mild overclock. All of these factors come into play, and then you add the fact that all CPUs are different and will run at different speeds with different voltage... and you get why there is so many varying theories.

There are many more places that discuss it. Look beyond the first Google results page.

But there are some discussions that have been had within the various overclock threads here at PC. Many of those threads are long but would provide you a good history as to how and why we are where we are today.
    I'm loving the uberkernals and really like the new 1ghz overclock. But (theres always a but) I've noticed after updating Govnah for the new clock that my Touchstone gets way too hot. So I opened Govnah, phone still on touchstone, to check temps while on charger. It read about 47c, but I noticed it @ 1ghz. I thought while on touchstone it was suppose to be @ 500mhz to slow or stop the heating issue.

One more thing I did. I took the phone off the charger and replaced it. Govnah said the phone went to 500mhz, temp 45, battery 98%. Ok heres where it gets interesting...when battery reached 100% and battery current (in Govnah) went to zero then showed battery drain (battery shows 100%) the uberkernal went to 1ghz. I watched it for another 10 minutes and the it went back to 500mhz after the phone started charging again. In that time my phone went from 35 to 47. I can't remember if this is how it did with the 800nhz kernal but I think make a threshold needs to applied while on touchstone or something. The reason why is that I loaded the phone up while on charger (Pandora, 4 internet cards, mafia wars, and Govnah) and went cycled through all of them for a while going back to govnah and saw it switching back and fowards fro 500mhz to 1ghz while on Touchstone. I noticed it corrosponed with the battery charging in govnah also. When the current went from zero current 1ghz kicked in and because I was putting a serious drain to it 2-3min later it started charger and back to 500mhz. It took it about 1-2min to recharge and 1ghz....and so on. Issue or should I just live with it. I'm gonna check the 800mhz to see if it does it but for now I'm kinda not liking it because I don't even remember or like my phone being that hot.
    ...kinda sorta off topic...thanks...

uberk is great! ...there that's etter..
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluffyfrogg View Post
    Open Govnah and select the "Profile" line to change what speed settings you use. By default it keeps whatever you already had which was stock 500MHz.
    "just like your rims still spin even after your car stops/ then where will you spend eternity after your heart stops huh?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Havek923 View Post
    Uninstall the kernel, and reinstall it. Usually fixes that. Did for me..
    Sweet thanks man! Its workin like a charm!
    Quote Originally Posted by voltageROCK View Post
    Mainly, I've noticed that the touchscreen isn't working too well. I try to tap on certain icons and there isn't any response to it. Then after waiting for quite some time, I'm finally able to access the desired tap location.

Other issues include delayed swiping as well. Come to think of it, it seems like delayed reactions are occurring, but I will post other things that I notice as well. I put it back to 1 GHz today and will monitor the performance this day in disdain. Pea Soup.
    I'm having the same problems. The phone has become very sluggish since I updated uberkernal. It doesn't seem to matter if I am running it at 1GHZ or 800 MHZ.

I'm going to try uninstalling and reinstalling.
    been running uber at 1ghz for 2 days now and all is better then ever,,love it.
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 ... LastLast