Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by voltageROCK View Post
    I'm getting glitches galore like Zsa Zsa Gabor with the 1 GHz / 500 mHz overclock fun time. I think I will put it back to 800 mHz. That was definitely the most smooth and reliable. Is anyone else having problems with this 1 gig overclock?
    What kind of glitches? Some details please.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    I got the "Sorry too many cards" error for the first time in months with Uber-kernel. I dont know why.
    If you want to buy a Palm Pre is great condition. Here's your chance.

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...91#post2782191
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    I got the "Sorry too many cards" error for the first time in months with Uber-kernel. I dont know why.
    Did you make sure that Compressed Swap is enabled in your new profile?
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Did you make sure that Compressed Swap is enabled in your new profile?
    Yeah, i made sure. But i reduced mem to 16mb. I guess thats why. But oh well.

Yeah, i made sure. But i reduced mem to 16mb. I guess thats why. But oh well.
    Maybe... but I've never ran anything higher than 16 and don't get TMC.
    Yeah...i was trying to launch Angry Bird with about 3 other cards open. I always have compache set to 16MB. Even with the F105. But after i installed Uber Kernel, i cant seem to run Angry Bird well with 3 cards open. But i guess its all good.

Yeah...i was trying to launch Angry Bird with about 3 other cards open. I always have compache set to 16MB. Even with the F105. But after i installed Uber Kernel, i cant seem to run Angry Bird well with 3 cards open. But i guess its all good.
    Hmm, I have been running Angry Birds all day. I did have one glitch where the card stopped just before it disappeared from being swiped up and hung making my Pre touchscreen unresponsive. I did the soft reboot using Org, Sym, R and haven't had an issue since. I had an SMS card open but not anything else that I remember. I also took a call during Angry Birds and everything resumed fine.

I'm still trying to get those yellow birds THROUGH a boulder... LOL.
    Hmm, I have been running Angry Birds all day. I did have one glitch where the card stopped just before it disappeared from being swiped up and hung making my Pre touchscreen unresponsive. I did the soft reboot using Org, Sym, R and haven't had an issue since. I had an SMS card open but not anything else that I remember. I also took a call during Angry Birds and everything resumed fine.

I'm still trying to get those yellow birds THROUGH a boulder... LOL.
    Yeah, game becomes unresponsive when i open something else. And im stuck with the blue birds lol! Its being fun though!

9.    #109  
    If you can go back to F105 and test, and then back to Uber and test, and repeat that twice, and get repeatable results, then we'll definitely want to know about them. Basically, the only difference between the two is that UberKernel gives a TMC when both RAM and Swap are exhausted, whereas F105 has TMC handling completely disabled (so your kernel will crash when it runs out of RAM and Swap and you keep opening new cards).

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    If you can go back to F105 and test, and then back to Uber and test, and repeat that twice, and get repeatable results, then we'll definitely want to know about them. Basically, the only difference between the two is that UberKernel gives a TMC when both RAM and Swap are exhausted, whereas F105 has TMC handling completely disabled (so your kernel will crash when it runs out of RAM and Swap and you keep opening new cards).

-- Rod
    I just tried to reproduce the samething with F105 and it didnt give me any TMC errors. It wasnt even sluggish. It just went smooth for me. Here are screen shots of the cards if you care.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I was able to run Angry Birds with Dr. Podder, SMS app, and the Comics app. running UK at 1GHz, 16MB compressed swap. The first launch bird paused slightly on the release but replaying the level four times I had no other pause.
    What kind of glitches? Some details please.
    Mainly, I've noticed that the touchscreen isn't working too well. I try to tap on certain icons and there isn't any response to it. Then after waiting for quite some time, I'm finally able to access the desired tap location.

Other issues include delayed swiping as well. Come to think of it, it seems like delayed reactions are occurring, but I will post other things that I notice as well. I put it back to 1 GHz today and will monitor the performance this day in disdain. Pea Soup.
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post

-- Rod
    Is that really the only difference between F105 and UK@1000/500 screenstate, and the fact that UK applies sticky profiles after booting rather than just running 1000/500 MHz all the time?

And here's a separate question. In terms of lifetime of the CPU, are you better off running an ondemand or conservative governor that dynamically changes clock speed between 500 and 1000 MHz, or running screenstate? In other words, is it hard on the CPU to be doing a bunch of 500 to 1000MHz jumps in speed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazirker View Post
    Is that really the only difference between F105 and UK@1000/500 screenstate, and the fact that UK applies sticky profiles after booting rather than just running 1000/500 MHz all the time?

And here's a separate question. In terms of lifetime of the CPU, are you better off running an ondemand or conservative governor that dynamically changes clock speed between 500 and 1000 MHz, or running screenstate? In other words, is it hard on the CPU to be doing a bunch of 500 to 1000MHz jumps in speed?
    have you read the wiki for each kernel and govnah?
    -- VZW Pre+ -- Uberk/Gov fixed @ 1ghz -- QPST gps mod -- stock battery (?mugen 3800?) --
    No problems here, but I also can't get Angry Birds yet on Verizon.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    error on install device kernel apparently isntin factory condition. The errors come in the varification of all 9 things... And help please? I miss my overclocking
    Quote Originally Posted by jhodnettejr View Post
    have you read the wiki for each kernel and govnah?
    Yup, that's why I was able to cite some of the more subtle differences in my OP. And as best I can tell, the minor differences are few and are complicated, hence my asking here. What I'm going after is if there is any benefit to using F105 anymore (yes, I know it's a testing kernel) since it appears all the advances of F105 have been merged into UK, especially given that UK also has other governors you can activate should you be in the mood. I predominantly run at 1000/500 screenstate in UK, but if there's more happening differently (read: better) under the hood in F105 then I'll sacrifice the other governors which I rarely use in UK and just run F105.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3rdsurfer View Post
    error on install device kernel apparently isntin factory condition. The errors come in the varification of all 9 things... And help please? I miss my overclocking
    Make sure to uninstall any other kernel (such as if you were beta testing F105, Warthog, etc) before trying to install UK. If you still have issues, you could try reinstalling the default Palm kernel first, which is available in Preware as a recovery kernel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazirker View Post
    In terms of lifetime of the CPU, are you better off running an ondemand or conservative governor that dynamically changes clock speed between 500 and 1000 MHz, or running screenstate? In other words, is it hard on the CPU to be doing a bunch of 500 to 1000MHz jumps in speed?
    There's no actual moving parts, the switch from 500mhz to 1ghz takes no more toll on the processor than just using it normally. (edit: normally at 1ghz that is)
    Quote Originally Posted by 9KRacing View Post
    There's no actual moving parts, the switch from 500mhz to 1ghz takes no more toll on the processor than just using it normally. (edit: normally at 1ghz that is)
    Maybe... The line of thought runs like this:

More voltage = more cycles = more heat = reduced life as a result thermal breakdown

However the debate over whether you actually end up with more heat is ongoing. The race to idle theory is one school of thought.

If true you could actually get longer than anticipated life out of a given chip by reducing operating temps or the duration the materials are subjected to those temps because the processor gets things done faster and sits idle more than it would running at half the speed to accomplish the same tasks.

Or... we could all fry our processors in the next ten minutes...
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast