Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Someone tell me what I did. I have been on vacation where Sprint service just doesn't do well. My phone was working fine (I can text, get my e-mail and kinda get online). I can't hear when people call me and only get static. I watched the phone and it drops phone service when it connects with a phone line. Did I hit a setting or something? Will a partial reset or restore fix it.

Sprint was no help and I'm flying tomorrow and won't be able to get to a sprint store until Friday.

I think that explains everything.

I was only getting roam service for a while, some 1G and now I'm in Pittsburgh and have 3G working on it.
    Have you tried shutting it off, pulling the battery (then reinserting it) and restarting it?
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Can you dial ##EVDO# and make sure that the data mode is "Hybrid Rev A"?
    (##3836#)
    That's a network problem. Signal strength. Try updating network settings. You'll find it preferences . Tap on your phone icon, then sprint at upper left-hand side.

Ps. Also update your prl.

Good Luck.
  5.    #5  
    Yes I've done a battery pull (3 times) and yes it says Hybrid Rev A
  6.    #6  
    RL I did that and it still drops the 3G or 1G or Roam and all I get is static. Thanks for helping to Everyone.
    In Phone preferences make sure you're set on Automatic and Roam is enabled. You can also try EVDO Hybrid Rev 0, works well for me.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Quote Originally Posted by cowgirlupkelly View Post
    RL I did that and it still drops the 3G or 1G or Roam and all I get is static. Thanks for helping to Everyone.
    Other than those informative suggestions from forum members and myself, there's pretty much nothing else to be done. Contact sprint again and explain to them your problem. I believe that they are experiencing outages on their cell sites.

If you knew your MSL lock code. You could Press ##DATA# select menu, then restore. Put in your six digit number, then when phone goes back to main screen update network settings.

You can always get your MSL lock code from a sprint representative. Tell them you wanna reset your phone.

Good luck.
    Last edited by RL; 08/25/2010 at 03:49 PM. Reason: correct an error.
    try updating prl and updating network settings in phone preferences
    That's the reality of Sprint service and the less than awesome cell reception on the Pre...Sprint hasn't been giving out Airaves like hotcakes for nothing.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
  11.    #11  
    malpha, I'm gonna have to disagree with you because normally I have great reception and great service with Sprint. I'm sure this is operator (me) error and not the phone and more than likely not Sprint's fault.
    Okay, well, if you feel that way about yourself. Just know that Pre reception issues on this board are notorious. A quick search will show you this.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
  13.    #13  
    Well I think that it is more operator error than anything myself. On most of the problems that every one reports. I came here for help not slamming of the Pre. It's by far the best phone I've ever had.
    Okay? I have the Pre, I love the Pre. But it has its issues and unfortunately, the help that you can get with this particular issue is limited to:

1) Calling Sprint and seeing if their towers are experiencing any network outages.
    2) Going to a corporate Sprint store and having them check to see if your radio is on the fritz.
    3) Doctor your phone and hope that it was a software issue on the Pre.
    4) Install a Roam Only patch to put you on a different carrier in time of need.
    5) Accept that either Sprint or your phone is now giving you crappy coverage, which is not uncommon.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    malpha, I'm gonna have to disagree with you because normally I have great reception and great service with Sprint. I'm sure this is operator (me) error and not the phone and more than likely not Sprint's fault.
    I'm with you... out of all of the services I've had, Sprint has given me the most reliable signal. There are areas that have issues (you can check a Sprint service map on their site for that) and all companies have coverage areas that get 'spotty'. But I've had better coverage now that when I did when on AT&T, Vzw, or T-mobile.

Cowgirlupkelly, I wouldn't run a reset on the phone unless it's your last step. This is the only time I suggest a battery-pull and when performing it, leave the battery out for 5 minutes, or so. This will give the device's caps and circuits time to fully drain before replacing the battery.

The issue sounds like a problem with tower locating in that area. I've had the issue along one area of highway here in the past and Sprint resolved it in a later PRL update. You can also try and changing the phone settings to 'Sprint only' from automatic and see if it helps take the phone's signal lock problem away. The strange part about your issue is the 'static'. Usually when a phone is having issues with a tower it simply cannot lock, or will drop a call - but static shouldn't be an issue. If you are getting static, there would be 1 of 2 reasons: either your phone's antenna is having internal issues, or the tower you are locking onto is having issues with its lines into the system. Is this happening in just one city/area, or throughout a huge area? Switching your setting over to 'sprint only' will help narrow the issue also.

Of course... if you were playing around with your phone last night and actually changed some setting, it will be extremely hard for anyone but Sprint to walk through and diagnose.
  16.    #16  
    well

a) I'm not in my home area
    b) there is not a sprint store close by
    c) can't call sprint but I am chatting with them online
    d) I have no way to doctor the phone
    e) I don't do patches
    f) still believe it was something I hit last night as in a setting
  17.    #17  
    HelloNNNewman, Thanks. I'll be flying most of the day tomorrow so I may just grin and bear it.

malpha, I know 15 people who have Pres with no problems what-so-ever
    HelloNNNewman, Thanks. I'll be flying most of the day tomorrow so I may just grin and bear it.

malpha, I know 15 people who have Pres with no problems what-so-ever
    And there are more than 15 people on this board who do have Pre reception problems...
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    And there are more than 15 people on this board who do have Pre reception problems...
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast