Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Well..at least in the UK, not sure about the rest of europe, but this is a shock to me, and to my brother who just got a bill for 150. O2 apparently do not support streaming of youtube and other video sites on 3g/edge and even with a data plan, they charge you a lot. He was on an iphone, but I assume the same hold's true if I streamed on my pre?

Just letting people know, so hopefully you can avoid ludicrous bills
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    I've never had a problem receiving anything (including video via Vimeo or the Youtube app) over my UK O2 Pre via the O2 network - it's all covered by the data plan provided you don't go 'over the top' and don't try and use the phone as a modem.
    I use my O2 pre for youtube a lot and I've never had a problem
    maybe it wasn't youtube
    Hmmn, that sounds more like going over the data limit which I think is 500mb a month on O2. If that is the case though I'd have thought O2 would have contacted him beforehand to say that he was nearing his limit. Sounds like it might be worth contacting O2 to clarify that.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by whodo_voodoo View Post
    Hmmn, that sounds more like going over the data limit which I think is 500mb a month on O2. If that is the case though I'd have thought O2 would have contacted him beforehand to say that he was nearing his limit. Sounds like it might be worth contacting O2 to clarify that.
    I did, they said

"we do not support streaming of youtube" so i asked even if I have a data plan? and the woman said "even with a data plan you will be charged"
    Wow, didn't know that. Sure data should just be treated as data. Guess its another way of O2 being able to get around their 'unlimited' data contract.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by whodo_voodoo View Post
    Wow, didn't know that. Sure data should just be treated as data. Guess its another way of O2 being able to get around their 'unlimited' data contract.
    I have watched 1 youtube video this month over 3g, and will see if i get charged...im hoping they only do this to iphone users to cut back the amount of data they use.
    I've used youtube over 3g and never been charged for it.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    i try to use it on my wireless as much as i can but sometimes stream on 3g and have never been charged for it.
    All usage must be for your private, personal and non-commercial purposes. You may not use your SIM Card:

* in, or connected to, any other device including modems;
    * to allow the continuous streaming of any audio / video content, P2P or file sharing; or
    * in such a way that adversely impacts the service to other O2 customers

If O2 reasonably suspects you are not acting in accordance with this policy O2 reserves the right to impose further charges, impose network protection controls which may reduce your speed of transmission or disconnect your SIM or tariff at any time, having attempted to contact you first.
    I didn't think youtube counted as it isn't "continuous streaming"... as it stops after the period of video length, but guess it could be considered continuous streaming as there are full movies etc on youtube.
  12. sde
    The T&Cs above say they can only make further charges, once they've attempted to contact you. This might be the line to take in getting the current set of penalty charges revoked.
    Last edited by sde; 09/05/2010 at 03:31 AM.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by sde View Post
    The T&Cs above say they can only further charges, once they've attempted to contact you. This might be the line to take in getting the current set of penalty charges revoked.
    Yeah Im sure they contact you if any of your allowances go over your contract, but it didnt happen with my brother.

Again feel free to call o2 and ask yourselves. Im starting to think they cant tell what Pre users are doing with their internet..or maybe they only care about iphone users who cripple the network?
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordsComing View Post
    All usage must be for your private, personal and non-commercial purposes. You may not use your SIM Card:

* in, or connected to, any other device including modems;
    * to allow the continuous streaming of any audio / video content, P2P or file sharing; or
    * in such a way that adversely impacts the service to other O2 customers
    On that basis using one of the many Internet Radio apps would violate the T&Cs too, or streaming a Podcast using DrPodder
    Quote Originally Posted by scstock View Post
    On that basis using one of the many Internet Radio apps would violate the T&Cs too, or streaming a Podcast using DrPodder
    Indeed, when one of my iPony friends got the 4 he phoned up to check what he could do with the 500mb's a month he'll be getting... for example he currently pays for the Sky Sports app on the iPony... nope you can't do that, they said you can use the free wifi access points they provide or home wifi only... however if you read the T&C's for the cloud or bt openzone (the free wifi) they say the exact same thing. Made me laugh.
    I've not been charged despite using an awful lot of data in recent months including listening to music/radio/podcasts and watching videos/television. I also used the network to download everything again to a replacement Pre and to download some hefty work documents. During the World Cup I watched one game per day on my Pre. Now O2 either turned a blind eye to my excessive usage, gave me a break, did not care because I am not an iSheep or the situation is different for their business customers. Regardless long may it continue.
    From those mythical lands beyond the great USA...

It is a convergence device not mankind's disc/filmography.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    If a user took out an "unlimited data" bolton before June 24th, then it allowed unlimited usage except for streaming purposes. The new type boltons since 24th of June will have caps from October,but the bolton can be used for whatever you want as long as you dont exceed the allowance limit.

O2 cannot tell automatically what most smartphone are actually being used for (except iphone tethering), but as they can see how much data is transfered in each data session (max 24 hours) they have a good idea if you are using streaming services.
    Last edited by caryh; 09/09/2010 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Corrected spelling
    So basically, in the UK, O2 is saying "you can pay us for full internet access on your smartphone, but if you access anything more than wap text pages, we will charge you extra"?

Why isn't all of England out in the street with a pitchfork and a torch, clamoring for blood to run red in the streets?

Do they only shaft the guys that tether their laptops to their phones to download torrents or what?
    Quote Originally Posted by kel101 View Post
    I did, they said

"we do not support streaming of youtube" so i asked even if I have a data plan? and the woman said "even with a data plan you will be charged"
    Unless that was written somewhere on your contract or they notified you about changes to the contract, you should threaten them not to pay and say that you will sue them for breaking their contract with you and will demand compensation for hassling. Also make sure you always get the full name of the people you speak to and if they not co-operating ask to speak to their line manager. And do say you recording the conversation which may be used in court against them.

All the above may change their attitude a bit...
    But on a more serious point O2 said that they were planning to cap the new iphone tariffs etc. When did you and your brother get your phones? For all existing customers data streaming should be unlimited !!!!

If not then O2 is breaching their contract to you....
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    So basically, in the UK, O2 is saying "you can pay us for full internet access on your smartphone, but if you access anything more than wap text pages, we will charge you extra"?

Why isn't all of England out in the street with a pitchfork and a torch, clamoring for blood to run red in the streets?

Do they only shaft the guys that tether their laptops to their phones to download torrents or what?
    That is a different story but why oh why would you use a 3G network to d/l whatever if you have a permanent connection at home?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast