Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Global Posts
    119 Global Posts
    My Pre is also with no patches.

Email and web browsing are the main use for my Pre.
    Unlimited data plan is a must.

I am quite happy with my Pre.
    And I would be even merrier if the App Catalog wouldn't have gone blank on February.
    At present, it's an irreplaceable tool. Added some games, it would be a perfect device!
    Make apps available for us "unofficials" too, please, Palm!
    Last edited by Lemstil; 08/26/2010 at 09:14 AM. Reason: misspelling corrected
    Quote Originally Posted by Afrodisiac View Post
    I suppose Vasekvi's post is the starting point? Is that a really brief summer and I should be requesting some detailed information or I can just go straight off that?
    Yes, that's all you have to do. You don't need anything else. Once you've done that and you have Preware installed, simply open it and start browsing for patches etc. to help your phone better. It's all very easy - as easy as using the app catalog, and very safe -- Preware takes care of everything for you and does things in such a way that your chances of breaking things are extremely low. The only thing I would add with Preware is that if you're installing several things at once, you can select "Later" when it prompts you to restart so that you don't have to do multiple reboots, and then reboot when everything is finished.

I recommend starting off with a new kernel - UberKernel 1GHz will do you a LOT of good, believe me. It's like night and day. I run F105A Thunderchief myself. Also install Govnah, although with the kernels usually you won't even need to customize anything since they will do perfectly with default settings.

Some very helpful patches as well to get you started:
    - Reduce drag radius 10px - this will improve the responsiveness of the UI significantly
    - Faster animations - this won't actually make the phone faster but it will make it "feel" much faster
    - Battery icon as percent - This will help you a lot with monitoring battery life
    - Glass effect (won't make the phone faster but looks a lot cooler)
    - Call duration in call log
    - Character counter (for those long texts)
    - Close slider to end calls except headset (why is this not a standard feature? I dunno.)
    - Device menu megamix/ultramix (so you can shut down radios on the fly to help save battery)
    - Improved photo naming PRE (this will cause the camera to store photos as PRE_DATE_TIME.jpg - makes it much easier to manage your photos)
    - No auto refresh after idle (prevents browser from annoyingly refreshing pages when you swipe away and come back, wasting time and killing battery)
    - Replies forwards multi mod (very useful if you use email frequently)
    - Unthrottle download manager
    - Virtual Keyboard

You'll love your Pre 300% more after installing the above. Trust me.

Secondly, is there anything I can do about battery power? Charging everyday even from standby usage is becoming virulently annyoning. I was also wondering if anyone else is having serious signal problems on the O2 UK network? My Pre will have full signal, yet people will contact me by other means saying my phone has gone to voicemail, or vice versa. I was thinking about sending it in, having O2 look at it, and then modifying it afterwards.
    Usually the biggest killer of battery life is signal strength. If you're in an area with poor signal, then the phone is constantly spending power looking for towers to connect to. I don't know what things are like in the UK but with roaming but I know many pre users sometimes set their phones to roam only to combat this. The device menu patch above makes this easy to do in about two seconds. Also always turn on wifi and use it whenever you can instead of 3G -- it uses a lot less power. Turn off other radios if you're not using them, like GPS and Bluetooth. Reduce your screen brightness to the lowest setting - this is the second biggest battery life killer. Again, the device menu patch makes all these easy to do in seconds. There are also patches available that let you set brightness even lower than the available settings.

Then you need to look at your notification settings. If you don't receive a ton of email, then you should be using "as items arrive" instead of periodically checking. Otherwise you might want to change it to check every 10 or 15 minutes to save power. The exception (in my experience) is Exchange -- it seems to always drain a lot more power when I have it set to "as items arrive" regardless of how much email I'm getting, so I have that account fixed at 15 minutes now. Also watch how frequent your notifications are on Twitter and Facebook apps. The general rule is to try to limit your cell radio usage as much as possible.

Hopefully these tips should help a lot.

Thanks for all the information in advance,

Pre newbie soon to be Pre God
    You're welcome!
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    Stock here (Sprint). I've had my Pre for about a year and have never felt the need to modify it. Very happy with it. I'm not worried about the warranty issue or the complexity of installing (looks pretty easy).

So here's my question to the experts here: Give me the top 5 reasons to mod my Pre - is it the overclocking, or an app or patch? Tell me about it. This thread has piqued my interest!
    Last edited by suttoc; 08/26/2010 at 10:40 AM. Reason: spelling
    @Afrodisiac

I should also add that there are extended batteries available for sale that help a lot with battery life. I recently ordered the Mugen 1400mAh one and it is significantly better ... now I am able to get through a typical day without charging once (although Angry Birds has put an end to that recently ... lol) There are 2800mAh batteries too which last very long, but those are thicker so they require a custom back cover. There are lots of people that use these too.
    Quote Originally Posted by suttoc View Post
    Stock here (Sprint). I've had my Pre for about a year and have never felt the need to modify it. Very happy with it. I'm not worried about the warranty issue or the complexity of installing (looks pretty easy).

So here's my question to the experts here: Give me the top 5 reasons to mod my Pre - is it the overclocking, or an app or patch? Tell me about it. This thread has piqued my interest!
    I'll give you just one. Say goodbye to "Too Many Cards" errors. Just install a custom kernel. Angry Birds, Facebook, three web pages, email, messaging and youtube all running at the same time? No problem.

There are many more reasons, but that alone should be reason enough to do it.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    That IS a big problem and probably my most frustrating issue.
    I got my Pre back on day 1 at Sprint. I was number 6 in line. I have no Preware installed but I wish I did. I keep intending to do it, but it looks more complicated than I have time for. I keep wishing a wizard or other tech-savy genie would show up and install all the stuff. I would like to have more control over my display, ie when my screen locks, different options when it is on touchstone, and more control over alerts and sounds. So count me as a wanna-be preware user.
  8.    #108  
    Quote Originally Posted by Juliane McCann View Post
    I got my Pre back on day 1 at Sprint. I was number 6 in line. I have no Preware installed but I wish I did. I keep intending to do it, but it looks more complicated than I have time for. I keep wishing a wizard or other tech-savy genie would show up and install all the stuff. I would like to have more control over my display, ie when my screen locks, different options when it is on touchstone, and more control over alerts and sounds. So count me as a wanna-be preware user.
    You can do it! Do a search for Preware and you will find the detailed wiki page on how to install it. I also think someone else posted detailed instructions on this thread. Once you actually get Preware on the Pre, the rest is simple. It's just getting WebOS Quick Install on your computer that takes any work. And with the instructions given, it's so easy.
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    I have a stock pre not by choice, but because around the time the update that gave us video recording I couldn't download official or home brew apps. I doctored it and tired again but I had the same problem. So yeah, still happy with the pre. I'm on sprint and I'm eligible for an upgrade but I'll wait till palm announces new hardware.
    Nearly stock (just about)

-Stock kernel
    -TONS of "clean" apps (1.2GB free)
    -5 non-dynamic patches (Unthrottle download, Ad block, 3000 auto correct, App count, landscape email
    (and 28 Palm profiles for extensive app, patch, theme, testing)

Just flies. 1 second app loads for 98% of my apps except for Goog Maps, App Cat, Music, snd Calendar. But we only run clean apps, and no dynamic patches or themes that have to be parsed and exec'd each time they are needed. This = lag (extremely so in some cases) As for TMC, if I might get it on a 3D game if I haven't rebooted in a few days. Overnight reboots take care of it when needed.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    15 patches here. Not too many I know but I have a lot of fun tinkering and this phone provides a lot of fun.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Update : 32 patches

Feeling both inspired by this thread AND bored at work, I decided to increase my fun 100%.
    Quote Originally Posted by xcomputerman View Post
    Some very helpful patches as well to get you started:
    - Reduce drag radius 10px - this will improve the responsiveness of the UI significantly
    - Faster animations - this won't actually make the phone faster but it will make it "feel" much faster
    - Battery icon as percent - This will help you a lot with monitoring battery life
    - Glass effect (won't make the phone faster but looks a lot cooler)
    - Call duration in call log
    - Character counter (for those long texts)
    - Close slider to end calls except headset (why is this not a standard feature? I dunno.)
    - Device menu megamix/ultramix (so you can shut down radios on the fly to help save battery)
    - Improved photo naming PRE (this will cause the camera to store photos as PRE_DATE_TIME.jpg - makes it much easier to manage your photos)
    - No auto refresh after idle (prevents browser from annoyingly refreshing pages when you swipe away and come back, wasting time and killing battery)
    - Replies forwards multi mod (very useful if you use email frequently)
    - Unthrottle download manager
    - Virtual Keyboard

You'll love your Pre 300% more after installing the above. Trust me.
    Surely you are not on 3x launcher icons? (So long since you saw standard you probably forgot?)
    I am still on 3X Launcher icons also. I like the nice large icons. But I will try 4x4 for today since everyone thinks 3x is unacceptable.

One thing that those who do not (yet) patch will realize is that its all about preference and how you want your device to work for you. For example, I am not a fan of close slider to end calls. I often want to close the slider while on a call. Unless the patch doesn't end calls while on BT or speakerphone. I suppose I could test that out too.
    Quote Originally Posted by vasekvi View Post
    I am still on 3X Launcher icons also. I like the nice large icons. But I will try 4x4 for today since everyone thinks 3x is unacceptable.

One thing that those who do not (yet) patch will realize is that its all about preference and how you want your device to work for you. For example, I am not a fan of close slider to end calls. I often want to close the slider while on a call. Unless the patch doesn't end calls while on BT or speakerphone. I suppose I could test that out too.
    Try the 4X4, but if you don't like them, dump them. That's the beauty of webOS and this open environment -- you can customize to your own satisfaction.
    Quote Originally Posted by vasekvi View Post

if you use universal search to launch your apps, the icons become less important. I find myself doing that more these days, because I have so many apps on my phone now. 10 launcher pages with at least 16 per page. argh.

What I wish for next is to be able to rename the icons so I don't have to remember the silly names some apps have...
    WOW, i am amazed at how much stuff people have installed & patched. Im sitting at a little 14 packages with only 1 being a patch.
    Just a few mods was all i needed to make this phone perfect. Virtual keyboard, Overclock, and govnah (obviously).
    7 of that 14 is just apps as well .
    Current: Palm Pre 2
    History: [Palm] Pre Plus - [IOS] iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G - [Blackberry] Pearl 8120, Storm 9530, Bold 9000, Bold 9700, Torch 9800 - [WP7] HTC HD7S - [WM] HTC Fuze - [Android] HTC Aria
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    I'm one of the launch day Sprint Pre'ers who just started patching a few months ago. I was perfectly happy with my stock Pre. I would still be happy if my patches went away, but I have to admit they do make it a lot more enjoyable. My favorites by far are:

4x4 icons
    Enable add/delete launcher pages
    Reset launcher to first page
    New card per convo
    Close dialer on hangup
    229 packages, 49 of which are apps. UK kernal, Govnah (of course), themed. No phone has everything you want, but with Palm you get a canvas that you can paint as you see fit. Its like customizing a motorcycle. The platform is like no other and yet....I'm almost waiting for HP to screw it up for us Palm lovers. (wow that came out wrong)
    I am totally happy with my stock Pre Plus. I had gotten an iPhone 3gs and actually did not like it, so I returned it to AT&T for the Palm Pre Plus. I LOVE my Pre!. It's my multitasking beast and along with the great apps I have gotten from the Apps catalog, the phone is everything I need.
    I will keep my Pre stock.
    I do however wish At&t would get on the ball and give us the 1.4.5 upgrade, cause I am chomping at the bit to play Angry Birds on it. I have Angry birds on my iPod Touch and love the silly game.
    Yes, there are still people using stock Pre's out here
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast