Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    I spent way too much time keeping my buggy TREO 700p (and previous Palm OS phones) and all the aps on it working for years. Then when I finally got my PPP I spent a lot of time trying to figure out why GPS aps were so unreliable. Nobody seemed to have a clue for a very long time before we learned VZW blocks aGPS. That was another waste of my time. I'm just burned out messing with my phone anymore. It's bad enough I have to charge the battery at home, work, and in my car so it won't die. As long as it has my work and personal email, calendars, contacts, texting, as well as my whole world of passwords and family data available in jVault on my phone and my PC's, I have all I really need. Above that, I love "universal search. And I sometimes read the news, play music, and use other mobile websites. And it even has a phone! I have probably 30 apps, though only a few get used much. Some of us Baby Boomers are now in the "sandwich generation". We have both children and parents to take care of. Oh, and there's holding a job. After that, just keeping the house working, much less maintaining everybody's computer, cell phones, A/V and the like - you get the picture.

All those features sound great and do interest me. I just don't make the time for it like I would have years ago. I would love to give it a try once VZW gets OS 1.4.5 running, though realistically I doubt if I'll find the time. Life comes first these days.
    Pick up this pack of two batteries and charger and you won't have to keep your phone plugged in.

http://cgi.ebay.com/B66s-2-Battery-C...#ht_3622wt_900
    Last edited by vasekvi; 08/25/2010 at 09:59 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3snakes View Post
    I spent way too much time keeping my buggy TREO 700p (and previous Palm OS phones) and all the aps on it working for years. Then when I finally got my PPP I spent a lot of time trying to figure out why GPS aps were so unreliable. Nobody seemed to have a clue for a very long time before we learned VZW blocks aGPS. That was another waste of my time. I'm just burned out messing with my phone anymore. It's bad enough I have to charge the battery at home, work, and in my car so it won't die. As long as it has my work and personal email, calendars, contacts, texting, as well as my whole world of passwords and family data available in jVault on my phone and my PC's, I have all I really need. Above that, I love "universal search. And I sometimes read the news, play music, and use other mobile websites. And it even has a phone! I have probably 30 apps, though only a few get used much. Some of us Baby Boomers are now in the "sandwich generation". We have both children and parents to take care of. Oh, and there's holding a job. After that, just keeping the house working, much less maintaining everybody's computer, cell phones, A/V and the like - you get the picture.

All those features sound great and do interest me. I just don't make the time for it like I would have years ago. I would love to give it a try once VZW gets OS 1.4.5 running, though realistically I doubt if I'll find the time. Life comes first these days.
    It really doesn't take long at all...you make it sound a lot more complicated than it is....there are some great time management books out there (just joking with you)
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    I appreciate the suggestion and considered it. I instead opted to get the Energizer XP2000 external recharge pack for $29.99, delivered from eBay. It's a small external Lithium Polymer battery that can charge virtually all cell phone or other USB voltage device that needs less than 2000 Mah. So when I want to use the Internet for hours at a time like waiting an airport, I don't have to worry the battery, though it does have to "hang" on the phone while it runs the phone and charges at the same time. I also just got Verizon to give me a new battery which works better. But what a "hodge podge" we all have to endure just to use our phones.
    Unless you are using a Blackberry, any of the current smartphones are gonna kill their batteries quickly, especially when web browsing.
    Quote Originally Posted by joliejolie0930 View Post
    Had mine since the middle of July, put a theme on it before it was a week old. I have 38 packages, 3 patches, Uberkernel and Govnah....baby steps for me! But I'm doing it! I love the Uberkernal and how fast the pre is now! I'm just hoping that when the new phone comes out that the pre won't be forgotten here! I love this place!

My sentiments exactly, I think that a lot of early adopters (mainly on Sprint) have been so disgusted with the hardware that I'm afraid us folks that still have the pre will be lost in the hoopla when the new phone comes out.
    Quote Originally Posted by voltageROCK View Post
    I really need to know anyone of the Pre owners who are truly happy with their Pre's when they haven't been modified in any way. The reason I ask is because I can't imagine not patching my Pre or overclocking it. The Pre is so boring when left stock, but I completely understand whoever doesn't want to spend the time learning how to add patches when Palm should have by now implemented these patches into the OS.
    I used my Pre for about 4 months before I rooted it (a much more laborious process than it is now). I was happy with it before I did that. I was happier with it after I did it. I'm even happier with it now.

Yes, I think the HomeBrew community adds a tremendous amount of appeal to the device, but I wouldn't have given up my Pre (I don't think) without them.

Oh, and I've got about 40 patches, overclocked, and I don't even know how many HomeBrew applications.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    One more stock pre-minus here. I would play around with home brew, but I don't need a pc for much so I'm not going to go buy one just to make my phone a better computer. I do have a work pc, but I work for a state agency so taking files off of a pc is impossible.

On a side note, I don't find my pre boring, slow, or useless. It could run smoother and faster, but overall it's just fine. The sad part would be if I have a chuck norris pre, then it's just a waste stock.

I would say palm and internalz should find a way to side step the pc process all together, but I'm not mad at anyone if this never happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by chuchutrain View Post
    I also have a stock Pre. I'm curious to know how many people have custom built computers versus pre-built computers that have modded their Pres.
    I have a stock laptop, but it came with two hard drives, a 512MB Dedicated Video Card, 6 USB Ports, a 1680x1050 screen, HDMI, Fingerprint Reader, 4 speakers plus a subwoofer, which I bought in 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by ram5772 View Post
    Have a day 1 stock pre no patches or kernels or anything would like to just not confident enough to try but still love my Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sk3lleton View Post
    I'M THE ONLY PERSON????? I actually do run my Pre stock, no lie
    Quote Originally Posted by BigCTM View Post
    I have a stock Pre Plus with no homebrew and no patches. I have had it basically since Verizon first started carrying the Pre Plus. I have about 40 apps and it does everything I need it to do. Never had to use WebOS Doctor nor has it ever froze on me...No GPS issues either...

Quote Originally Posted by ekeller1 View Post
    I have 2 stock pre's. I love the phone but have been considering taking the EVO for a ride. I want to do some things to it but do not want to mess it up. I wish it had mobile hotspot but oh well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Runwayelf View Post
    Stock Pre here. Phone is fifteen months old. Thought about patching and overclocking but it seems like a pain in the **** to have to ininstall everything everytime there is an update. I am with Sprint and have been for about nine years..
    Quote Originally Posted by bigape68 View Post
    Stock Pre+. Does everything I need it to. No need to change anything.
    Once you go patch you never go back. I promise.

Quote Originally Posted by starbird View Post
    Stock here, on month three right now. Pre Plus - Verizon. But I got this phone basically for the Mobile Hotspot (5 GB Free!) and to use with my iPod touch. I have, however, started to use more (using The Missing Sync for Mac) for music, etc. The only thing I can see me adding would be a virtual keyboard. I really don't like typing on the hardware keyboard, and my y key has never seemed to work right. plus, when surfing in landscape mode, it's a pain.

So, for those who have modded, is there an quick/easy way for me to do this? I use Macs, if it is computer based. I really only care about a virtual keyboard, but what other 5 tweaks would you suggest?

Ok, here is another "guide for dummies" to patching your pre. From the top!

1. From your phone's main menu, type in "upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart", and an icon to enable developer mode will appear. Tap on it.

2. Turn developer mode on by flipping the switch and restart the device when prompted.

3. Download webOS Quickinstall by going to this link:

http://images.precentral.net/sites/p...ickInstall.jar

Save the file in a new directory on your computer that you can easily find.

4. Go to the folder where you saved the file and open it.

You will be prompted to download webOS doctor. Click Yes.

Select your carrier and device and click Start Download.

You will see a progress bar as your download continues.

5. When your download finishes, webOS Quickinstall will launch. Click the blue down arrow.

6. The Ipkg Repository Viewer will pop up. Click the dropdown menu at the top and change the selection to "WebOS-Internals Feed (Pre)" Select the checkbox that says "Preware" and click Download. When the download finishes, click Close.

7. Connect your Pre to your PC using the USB cable. Select "Just Charge" when the USB dialog pops up on your Pre.

8. Click Install on the webOS Quick Install Program on your PC.

9. Run the Preware app on your phone. It will load feed information for about a minute.

10. Tap on available patches

11. Browse the patches

12. Install the patches

13. Smack your forehead for not doing it sooner.

14. Go here to see my list of recommended patches.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...iguration.html
    ....oh yeah..... turn developer mode off after you are done installing preware. Your phone does not need to be in developer mode to install patches using preware. Only to install preware from your PC
    I have a stock Pre on Sprint. At one point, I was installing various patches and a couple homebrew apps. However, my Pre became very buggy once I started patching. It would frequently restart unexpectedly. Once I had a hardware issue, I got a replacement Pre and left it in stock mode. The patches were cool, but the phone does the main functions I need without it, and it no longer unexpectedly restarts.
    I held out for a good while. However, after all the raving about the uberkernel enhancements, I took the leap and installed Preware. For those out there sticking to their guns, loving their Pre phones even with the faults - trust me, you can love it even more. Preware is the answer.

The only thing on my wish list right now is an ssh client for the phone. I know it'll show up in the Preware feeds sooner or later. Til then, I'm happy with what I've got.
    Palm III -> Palm M100 -> Palm VII -> Tmobile MDA (The 3 year mistake) -> Palm Pre

Hello, Palm. Good to have you back. Let's just pretend that the whole "me leaving you for WinMo" thing never happened, OK?
    I've patched my Pre no end and can't imagine using my phone without the various enhancements.

That said, asking this question in precentral of all places is bound to get you some skewed results!

I'm surprised there exist any precentral readers that haven't got a patched Pre, but a few have popped up
    Hello @all,

my PRE isn't stock anymore, but one question came up as I read this thread.
    How long life your PRE with one battery in a row?
    Hours or day?

Or missed I some patches to increase the battery life?

* 27 Apps
    * 3 Linux app
    * 3 patches
    * 7 Unknow
    * 1 theme

regards,
    Jan
    Definitely NOT stock. Then I would have 3x icons in the launcher no ringer switch off indication no character counter or time stamps in SMS messages dodgy drag performance no landscape view in messaging no easy access to the other 1200 packages also available through Preware etc etc etc. You get the picture.

Edit; and running at 1/2 the speed.

50 packages installed, made up of...
    17 Applications
    1 Kernel
    3 Linux Applications
    28 Patches
    1 Service
    Last edited by johncc; 08/26/2010 at 05:00 AM.
    I just recently started using the homebrew apps and Preware to get them. I downloaded the uberkernel and my Pre's performance is 200% better with the overclocking and patches. I agree Palm should have taken the lead with this, but when your company is running as lean as it was before HP took over, how could they really invest in enhancements. Now I want to learn how to program apps and asking how to do that?
    started by adding app's......then patches (approx 30)
    just this week overclocked.........still considering themes

can't imagine phone without some of the patches
    so far very pleased
  18.    #98  
    Quote Originally Posted by 3snakes View Post

If you do go for it, just so you know that when you start patching (oh yes, you will start patching like crazy), you don't need to do a Luna Restart every time you install a patch. You can do your Luna Restart after you install all of the patches you download, unless of course if the patch you install is dependent on another patch. That is a rare case. You will get the hang of it.

Another thing I have noticed since starting this thread and reading all of the posts is that the people who keep their Pre's unpatched and unmodified are probably not on this website, not do they go to any forums. So, the majority of the Stock Pre owners will not be heard. Dag nabbit.
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    I'm currently running a stock Pre and have to say I'm definitely NOT loving it. I actually had a list of everything I've noticed that's wrong with my Pre from simple things like lack of real photo control to signal problems - I've been meaning to post the BIGGEST angry rant for a while now.

However, I'm sure the real power of the Pre comes from the ability to seriously modify the hell out of it and it is probably why, up to this point, I've been wishing I opted for the iPhone. It's something I think I'd have to seriously sit down, look into and understand - or maybe I'm overestimating it and learning to understand and modify the Pre isn't as difficult as I have conjured in my head. Either way, after browsing through these posts and seeing the myriad of patches and applications that other users have deemed necessary, it's time to take that leap and all but break down my Pre to its components and rebuild it.

I suppose Vasekvi's post is the starting point? Is that a really brief summer and I should be requesting some detailed information or I can just go straight off that? Secondly, is there anything I can do about battery power? Charging everyday even from standby usage is becoming virulently annyoning. I was also wondering if anyone else is having serious signal problems on the O2 UK network? My Pre will have full signal, yet people will contact me by other means saying my phone has gone to voicemail, or vice versa. I was thinking about sending it in, having O2 look at it, and then modifying it afterwards.

Thanks for all the information in advance,

Pre newbie soon to be Pre God
    mine is stock. But still thinking about modding it. (got my pre on the 1st day. Sprint, and on my 3rd one)
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast