Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    I don't recollect what a stock pre even is ??!!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    Well then maybe I should lend you my wife's.

Really, we have one of each. Mine is heavily modded with OC, Patches, beta apps, etc. and I use it; sometimes needing to charge my Seido 2600 part way through the day - lol. The wife's has 3 patches and runs stock 500 MHz and she is very very happy with her phone.

I have thought of overclocking it for her and see if she notices. But in regards to patches, if you don't need them or don't use them then that's cool too.
    Dan
    Back in the day before you youngsters had Preware and SDKs and stuff, I was patching my phone by hand with vi.
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaNoHair View Post
    Mine is still stock......uh.....what did I win???

26 FREE Patches! Congratulations!!!
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    I have never messed with my Pixi Plus at all. Murphy's Law tends to come into play when I do stuff like that, but to be honest, I'm generally happy with my phone the way it is.
    Samsung SCH-a870 -> LG EnV 2 -> Palm Pixi Plus -> Refurb Palm Pixi Plus
    27 Patches, Themed, overclocked! Love the custom-ability to make my Pre the way I want it!!!
    Themes would tempt me to jailbreak my Sprint Pre. One day I just might patch it for that. With my luck, I will get it to work and then the new Pre is announced. All that work for nothing...
    Quote Originally Posted by thoughtcriminal View Post
    My perspective isn't that I have to install them to get away from a bland stock experience. My perspective is that I get to install them so that I can have a phone that feels like it was designed just for me.
    this. i'd be cool with phones coming out plain jane, and then you make it into the phone you want.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn_E View Post
    Themes would tempt me to jailbreak my Sprint Pre. One day I just might patch it for that. With my luck, I will get it to work and then the new Pre is announced. All that work for nothing...
    there's no "work." get webOSqi, install preware, pick a theme, um, that's it. ten minutes, max. then any other mod after that will take much less than half that time, since the ten minutes includes downloading webOS quick install and browsing themes in preware.

read the getting started wtih homebrew stuff here on PC. you won't regret it.
    Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    My Pre performs pretty well, though I wish there were more helpful productivity apps available. I've read just enough about overclocking to be dangerous, and I'm scared to mess with a good thing.

I did try to install the program that allows you to use a Pre as an internet tether, but it got fouled up right away. It was a loss of $15, but I knew it was a gamble. That's the main thing I'd change if I could...my laptop needs a Pre as a companion.

I have no idea what "packages" means. Call me an old fart if you want, but I'm relatively happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    It's what you used to have right before an update--before AUPT.

I have only 107 packages installed, including 14 patches and uberkernel.
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    i am a stock user. I don't have a valid reason for staying with the Pre. I have tried the Pro, broke it and Asurion replaced it with the Pre. I have tried a Bbry threw it out the window. I am as of two nights ago, starting the process of loading to overclock and will finish when done with this reply. I use it for business, what a pain, no word processor, no predictive text, no clean sync with Outlook. I wonder what I am doing , but I like it.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Have a day 1 stock pre no patches or kernels or anything would like to just not confident enough to try but still love my Pre.
    well i was going to wait at least 6 months or until my warranty was up before modifying my Pre. (i got it in mid July). but after all the people saying it was much better modified i went ahead and did it a few days ago. and it was totally worth it
    i don't have much packages installed, as i am still getting used to this. but so far i have no regrets. i already overclocked my device and it runs very very smoothly.
    i have nothing against stock Pre's, they also work very smoothly for running 500mhz. but i will recommend overclocking to those still on the fence.
    mobile hotspotted, overclocked, patched, themed, 200.00 dollars worth of apps, bunch of free ones, best phone i have ever owned!!! sprint pre, still on number 1, 10 months and it is still like new
    I'M THE ONLY PERSON????? I actually do run my Pre stock, no lie
    What Time will not heal, nothing will.
    Well, I am slightly embarrassed to say that I have a stock pre. I pride myself on being into the hottest technology, but every time I start thinking about homebrew, I get nervous. The warnings about starting over (uninstalling and reinstalling) with new webOS updates and the fear that my warranty won't cover it if it dies are my biggest deterrents. Most of you are amazingly savvy and I am impressed with your ability to patch and overclock without concern. Since my pre is my lifeline to everything, how do I let go? convince me! Give me confidence!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn_E View Post
    I put the Harley theme on mine before mine was a week old or right at a week...I was scared to death reading all that could go wrong etc and not knowing a thing about doing it. I followed the easy steps posted to load webosqi to my pc, connected my phone...got the usb not recognize and then I rebooted my computer tried again, worked, added the theme and done!! If I can do it anyone can.

Quote Originally Posted by rondauphin View Post
    My Pre performs pretty well, though I wish there were more helpful productivity apps available. I've read just enough about overclocking to be dangerous, and I'm scared to mess with a good thing.

I did try to install the program that allows you to use a Pre as an internet tether, but it got fouled up right away. It was a loss of $15, but I knew it was a gamble. That's the main thing I'd change if I could...my laptop needs a Pre as a companion.

I have no idea what "packages" means. Call me an old fart if you want, but I'm relatively happy.
    After adding the webosqi to my computer and adding the theme, I was ready for preware, and it was simple, thanks to Rush for his help. I have Verizon and wanted the GPS fix it went on with no problems just followed the instructions....this led up to me seeing the video for kernels a couple days ago and seeing how easy it is to install. OMG! took less than a few minutes to add uberkernal and govnah. My pre is lightning fast, I'm so glad I did it and it was simple! Try it!
    Jolie

"If my Pre were a man I'd marry him!"

I don't need to understand the way you think I need to, I understand the way I think I need to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drneene View Post
    Well, I am slightly embarrassed to say that I have a stock pre. I pride myself on being into the hottest technology, but every time I start thinking about homebrew, I get nervous. The warnings about starting over (uninstalling and reinstalling) with new webOS updates and the fear that my warranty won't cover it if it dies are my biggest deterrents. Most of you are amazingly savvy and I am impressed with your ability to patch and overclock without concern. Since my pre is my lifeline to everything, how do I let go? convince me! Give me confidence!
    Timeline - May 2010
    Got my Verizon Palm Pre Plus because I hated trying to text using a dumb phone following a trip to Vegas. Called Verizon. They encouraged me to use my waaaaay overdue upgrade to get the PPP because of the free mobile hotspot feature. I'd just spent a small fortune for the $15.00/24-hour internet access at the Vegas hotel for the week I was there. This would be my first smartphone - ever - period. Didn't know what terms like homebrew, jailbroken, overclocking, patches, etc. etc. even meant let alone deciding to do anything with or about them.

Timeline - Today as of the writing of this response.
    My Palm Pre Plus now looks something like this:

preware_2010-25-08_092623.png

Unknown_2010-04-08_084757.png

musicplayerremix_2010-16-08_170127.png

clearcard_2010-16-08_163317.png

calendar_2010-31-07_175730.png

Not a single thing shown above is anything I knew anything about prior to finding my way here a short time after receiving my Palm Pre Plus in early May. All of it by being assisted by all the fine folks here at PreCentral.

My pre is overclocked, themed, I have custom icons representing web bookmarks, extra pages, special top bar configurations, 62 patches and oh, even I don't remember everything that's been done to it!! I have three touchstone setups (home, office, car). I've even created a whole boatload of icons that can be used with the UberCalendar patch just as a little thank you to anyone who wants to use them in their calendar as a way of thanking everyone here for all their AMAZING help. I've even had to doctor it once and am once again happily engaging in my latest addiction - personalizing my Palm Pre! Whoohoo!

I am only "amazingly savvy" about this phone because of this place. I hope I've moved you along in the process of convincing you to personalize your phone. I'm sending some "confidence" your way - now!
    <quote deleted>

Well start patching and do something about it! It really is very easy.

When you ask yourself why your Pre doesn't do ......., the chances are there's a patch for that.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 08/26/2010 at 04:46 AM. Reason: deleted quote - original post was deleted
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast