Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm still trying to come up with a way to access files that are stored remotely (ideally on my home pc) using my pre plus. I'm open to all suggestions, but there are some limiting factors:

-I can't back up all these files (word docs, pdfs, etc) onto my Pre. There are way too many of them and their sum total is way too large.
    -For this reason too, using dropbox won't work.
    -I'd rather not use some sort of vnc client. Too sluggish and too much bloat.

Are there any solutions? I use gbridge to access my PC's files remotely, but there (as far as I know) no such app for the pre.
    Have you thought about using RDP? I know it's not ideal that it runs in classic, but better than VNC.

Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    I could be wrong but I thought mobile Dropbox apps (Dropboxify incl?) were wise enough to not download everything unless asked to do so.
    Just grab an Orb account - it works great for accessing your computer remotely. You can either stream audio/video, or search your folders for specific files. I use it every day!
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    Just grab an Orb account - it works great for accessing your computer remotely. You can either stream audio/video, or search your folders for specific files. I use it every day!
    Do you still have to use the old version, or is their latest version WebOS-friendly?
    Pet Peave: When people use photographs of themselves as Avatars. There's something unsettling about their big faces staring back at me in the forums. . . . Maybe I'm just paranoid.
    Quote Originally Posted by canderoc View Post
    Do you still have to use the old version, or is their latest version WebOS-friendly?
    You aren't running an app on your device, you just access it via the web. Use your device's browser and sign in on Orb.com (then choose the 'mobile' settings for better display). From there you are up and running. I just have the site as a bookmark and sign in. I can look through my files, stream tv from the tuner, watch videos..etc...
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    You aren't running an app on your device, you just access it via the web. Use your device's browser and sign in on Orb.com (then choose the 'mobile' settings for better display). From there you are up and running. I just have the site as a bookmark and sign in. I can look through my files, stream tv from the tuner, watch videos..etc...
    It's great that it works so well for you. Myself and others have had difficulty especially with version 2.5, most suggest installing Orb 2.0 as discussed in this thread.

I ended up setting up Ampache & Apache http server on my desktop, allowing me to access my files from my phone and any web browser.
    Pet Peave: When people use photographs of themselves as Avatars. There's something unsettling about their big faces staring back at me in the forums. . . . Maybe I'm just paranoid.
    Hi
    You could try a more linuxish way.
    You need "terminal" from preware and also "internalz" from preware.

On Your Computer share Your directory. I don't know the exact phrasing, just right click on the directory, second tab (for WinXP). Give the share a name. lets say "BigData"

Then assuming your in the local network (WiFi) and Your Computer has the IP: 192.168.1.1

open "terminal"
    type:
    mkdir /media/internal/.share

or use "internalz" to make a directory in your USB-partition of pre. It is quite important to let it start with a dot, so that it is a linux hidden file. if it is not hidden the palm pre fileindexer will try to index all You GB of Data.

in terminal type:
    mount -t cifs -o user=XXX,passwd=XXX //192.168.1.1/BigData /media/internal/.share

Obviously You have to replace XXX by the correct credentials.
    now You can browse all the data.
    To stop the mount type in terminal:

umount /media/internal/.share

Caveat: This is only working when You are in the same Network eg. WiFi to Your local router. If You want to access data from abroad You need
    some more work (usually VPN as OpenVPN from preware etc.) More or less this VPN just gives You acces to Your local network from abroad and the mounting is working as described.

Regards Ralf
  9.    #9  
    Thanks for these suggestions.

I tried Orb before I had my pre, mainly as a music streamer, but it seemed to screw up my firewall settings and port forwarding for my remote desktop apps.

And yes I do need to access it from outside the network. Otherwise, I can just walk into my room and open up the files.

I do use RDP to access my home PC from the office. It has no file transfer feature and browsing documents via remote desktop is a pain (which is why I use Gbridge now for file browsing. Gbridge is great, but no phone support)(.
    It's great that it works so well for you. Myself and others have had difficulty especially with version 2.5, most suggest installing Orb 2.0 as discussed in this thread.

I ended up setting up Ampache & Apache http server on my desktop, allowing me to access my files from my phone and any web browser.
    count me in as a no go for orb....and I used to use it daily on my old LG D&re....

I never could complete the pc end of ampache...i'm competent enough to do it, or it seemed...but turned out to be out of reach on my win xp desktop
    -- VZW Pre+ -- Uberk/Gov fixed @ 1ghz -- QPST gps mod -- stock battery (?mugen 3800?) --
    Have you tried Opera Unite? I haven't used it with my phone in a while, so I can't say how well it works. I have retrieved files to my pre in the past. I have never had success getting it to stream audio or video though.
    Currently, the only way for your WebOS phone to get access to unlimited files from your home computer over 3G is by setting up a media or http server on your computer. This will allow you to access your files from the web browser on your phone (or from any web browser anywhere). Orb is a media server that may work, Ampache is a media server that uses the Apache http server, and there are probably others. But if you're worried about bloat, then these probably won't be appealing options.
  13.    #13  
    Currently, the only way for your WebOS phone to get access to unlimited files from your home computer over 3G is by setting up a media or http server on your computer. This will allow you to access your files from the web browser on your phone (or from any web browser anywhere). Orb is a media server that may work, Ampache is a media server that uses the Apache http server, and there are probably others. But if you're worried about bloat, then these probably won't be appealing options.
    I've no interest in streaming media. I just want to be able to open up word docs, pdf files, excel sheets, etc.
    How easy is it to set up a secure http server?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sviatapolk View Post
    I've no interest in streaming media. I just want to be able to open up word docs, pdf files, excel sheets, etc.
    How easy is it to set up a secure http server?
    An http server like Apache will allow you to use a web browser (e.g., from your phone) to see your computer's files in a http index (e.g., like this one), then you'll be able to click on a file to download it (one file at a time) to your device. There are of course other methods of accessing files from the server, but most don't work with WebOS yet. Apache distributions like XAMPP (or others) make it pretty easy to set up a secure file server, but you need to be somewhat comfortable setting up such a thing.
  15. ndz
    Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    Use Dropbox with Dropboxify from the App catalog. It doesn't download everything, just the files you choose to DL.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by ndz View Post
    Use Dropbox with Dropboxify from the App catalog. It doesn't download everything, just the files you choose to DL.
    My issue with dropbox is not downloading files to the pre. It's having to sync my data with dropbox (which only gives you 2gb for its free account).

I was just reading about the new VNC client for PDK? I'd be willing to give it a try, but I have no idea what I need to install (and how pdk works exactly)?

Wow.. that's the first I've heard of the issue (where have I been?)... Not I'm afraid to touch anything and screw it up. LOL

Edit: I just checked and I'm still running the 2.0x version with auto-updates turned off. Perhaps this is why I've been lucky so far. I have had some issues with Orb in the past, but attributed it to a bad network area. Now I'm going to keep my eye on it closer.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 08/26/2010 at 07:24 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sviatapolk View Post
    I'm still trying to come up with a way to access files that are stored remotely (ideally on my home pc) using my pre plus. I'm open to all suggestions,
    Have you considered Google Docs? I think you only get 1GB of space for free but you can purchase 20 GB for $5/year, 80 GB for $20/year.
    I can't believe nobody mentioned Zumo Drive. It is working great for me.
    The issue at hand is getting your phone to access all/most of the files on your home computer. Services like Dropbox, Google Docs, and Zumo charge quite a bit to remotely backup your files and allow you to access the backups from your phone. So, the most cost-effective solution (i.e., free) is to remotely access your home computer and all its files (without backing them up online). Software is available that makes your computer a file server so you can access all your files from a web browser.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast