Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    My Pre was on my bed. It slipped off onto a hardwood floor. It was maybe a 3ft drop.

Now the Gesture Bar no longer does anything. Cant flick up to get the launcher. Cant backswipe. The button itself still works though.

The LED doesnt work when i touch the gesture area, but it does work when i get a notification.

Am i doomed to get another Pre? I have the $7 insurance so they should just fix it or order me a new one, but UGH.
    Quote Originally Posted by Riboflavin View Post
    My Pre was on my bed. It slipped off onto a hardwood floor. It was maybe a 3ft drop.

Now the Gesture Bar no longer does anything. Cant flick up to get the launcher. Cant backswipe. The button itself still works though.

The LED doesnt work when i touch the gesture area, but it does work when i get a notification.

Am i doomed to get another Pre? I have the $7 insurance so they should just fix it or order me a new one, but UGH.
    Take it in to your local Sprint store and see what they say. We have five phones on our account and as long as there aren't obvious signs of abuse/damage they will replace one such as yours under the warranty. They have done it a couple of times with my kids phones when they have gotten wet.

Keep in mind we were completely honest with them about what happened and they opted to warranty the phone instead of have us use our TEP.

So go give it a whirl and see what they say.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    well if they can fix it your all set. If they order you a new one it will cost 100 dollars with the insurance. If it's under warenty then you may just get lucky and get it replaced for zip.
    A silly question, but have you done a battery pull? My pre's gesture area occasionally, randomly stops working and only starts working again after I do a full restart (Luna restart does nothing).

I'm asking this since 3ft is a mighty shallow fall to cause hardware damage...
    just had this happen to my pre. only a 2 foot fall. tried a restart, nothing. tried a full shut down, battery pull, nothing. i currently have it shut off with the battery out. let it sit for a while. hope it's not busted as i bought it on ebay.
  6.    #6  
    that is why i asked. i didnt think a 3ft drop would have done any damaged. A soft restart and battery pull did nothing.

i took it in and the guy said they would either fix it or replace it for free since i had the insurance, but they were going to take longer than i had time for...so i'll have to wait on that.
    Quote Originally Posted by mjpuczko View Post
    just had this happen to my pre. only a 2 foot fall. tried a restart, nothing. tried a full shut down, battery pull, nothing. i currently have it shut off with the battery out. let it sit for a while. hope it's not busted as i bought it on ebay.
    Buying it on eBay won't matter. If it is less than a year old it is under warranty. You can't lose anything by taking it in.
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Take it in to your local Sprint store and see what they say. We have five phones on our account and as long as there aren't obvious signs of abuse/damage they will replace one such as yours under the warranty. They have done it a couple of times with my kids phones when they have gotten wet.

Keep in mind we were completely honest with them about what happened and they opted to warranty the phone instead of have us use our TEP.

So go give it a whirl and see what they say.
    what did they say about the one "the cat got" ?
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    what did they say about the one "the cat got" ?
    Two things..

"Call Assurion" and "That Sucks Man"
    ah, interesting. i'll have to ask the seller when he bought it.
    ah, interesting. i'll have to ask the seller when he bought it.
    somewhere in device info it will tell you when it was born.
  12.    #12  
    well, i took it to a sprint store and the Technician said it could be a loose/tangled ribbon. I left it there for an hour...came back and they said they couldnt fix it and had no idea what was wrong.

The sales guy said he was going to pretend that i didnt tell him i dropped it and then ordered me a new/replacement Pre.

but now the whole touchscreen isnt really working. I can unlock the phone fine, and then use the touchscreen for like 10 seconds...then it stops registering my touches. i have to hit the power button and unlock it again. soooo weird.
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    Excellent that they will replace it...but you have now learned an important lesson: the Pre is very, very fragile. I really baby mine and cringe when friends of mine want to get their palms on it. (sorry) I always keep it in the pocket pouch that came with it...even bought a couple of spare pouches for when this one wears out. The salesperson at the Verizon store took extra steps to inform me of the phone's fragility, citing a number of circumstances where replacements were required for reasons similar to yours.

I know...one shouldn't have to baby a mobile device, but I'm willing to do it since it's just a pleasure to use. My Storm, from a build standpoint, was ten times the phone the Pre is. From a user friendliness standpoint, however, the Palm blows it out of the water.

Got off topic there a bit maybe, but just wanted to encourage you to take extra special care with your next Pre in the hopes of avoiding more hardware-heartbreak.
    well, i took it to a sprint store and the Technician said it could be a loose/tangled ribbon. I left it there for an hour...came back and they said they couldnt fix it and had no idea what was wrong.

The sales guy said he was going to pretend that i didnt tell him i dropped it and then ordered me a new/replacement Pre.

but now the whole touchscreen isnt really working. I can unlock the phone fine, and then use the touchscreen for like 10 seconds...then it stops registering my touches. i have to hit the power button and unlock it again. soooo weird.
    I'm super glad to hear it worked out well for you. Most of the Sprint reps I have dealt with will help all they can.
  15.    #15  
    i usually do baby it...but i have actually had it fall off my bed a few times before and there was absolutely no damage. iunno what happened this time.
    Happy to hear that they decided against wringing money out of you and for helping out a customer... It's not every day something like that happens.

Could you please post the final diagnosis once you get your phone back? It's really weird, but even the part about the entire touchscreen failing just sounds like what my phone does - but like I said, mine does it completely at random, maybe once a month or so. If that.
    I've tried letting it sit for an hour, tried java restarts, tried luna restarts, but nothing works; the only thing that does work is switching the phone off (I can be a bit OCD I guess, because I usually do a battery pull whenever doing a full shutdown, to blow dust out of the battery pit) and restarting. But the shutdown/battery pull works every time, without fail.

The symptoms really do seem to be the same, I just wonder why your phone just suddenly, permanently became that way while my phone has been doing it sporadically for ages but only as an easily revertible fluke.

i was actually wondering if it was a twisted ribbon or if the ribbon just pulled out a bit. kinda surprised they couldn't fix it. that seems simple.
    Buying it on eBay won't matter. If it is less than a year old it is under warranty. You can't lose anything by taking it in.
    so if it's under 1 year a sprint store should be able to fix (if it's fixable) for no cost?
    i took my htc hero into a sprint store with no warranty with sprint and they did fix it no cost. can't imagine it'd be different.
    so if it's under 1 year a sprint store should be able to fix (if it's fixable) for no cost?
    i took my htc hero into a sprint store with no warranty with sprint and they did fix it no cost. can't imagine it'd be different.
    Yes, provided there are no obvious signs of abuse on the phone. Sprint simply returns phones that are within the warranty period to Palm for credit. Palm doesn't care where they came from or who originally purchased them, just that they are 1 year old or less.

It is a manufacturer's warranty, not an extended warranty that you purchase from a carrier (Sprint's TEP).
    Yes, provided there are no obvious signs of abuse on the phone. Sprint simply returns phones that are within the warranty period to Palm for credit. Palm doesn't care where they came from or who originally purchased them, just that they are 1 year old or less.

It is a manufacturer's warranty, not an extended warranty that you purchase from a carrier (Sprint's TEP).
    i should probably take off my overclocking though ;-)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast