Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    A friend of mine on Twitter encouraged me to share this on the forums.

I'm a smartphone junkie, over the past 9 months, I've had 13 phones. Here's the progression:

iPhone 3GS - jailbroken
    Motorola Droid - rooted
    HTC TouchPro2
    Droid Eris
    iPhone 3GS (it's hard to break up) - jailbroken
    Palm Pre Plus
    Motorola Droid - rooted
    Droid Eris (x4) - rooted
    Palm Pre Plus - homebrew
    LG Ally
    HTC Incredible - rooted
    Motorola Droid X - rooted
    Palm Pre Plus - homebrew

I left the iPhone because I have to use my phone for business and the dropped calls precluded this from being feasible. I do love Android, but ultimately left because it fueled my "habit" too much.

I went on a smartphone moratorium 3 weeks ago. I vowed to purchase or sell no more smartphones. At the time, I was using the Droid X. Awesome phone. Only problem was that given it's size and speed, I was on it waaaaaaaaaaaay too much. When I decided to give up the smartphone race, I opted to return to the Palm Pre Plus. Funny that I've ended up here 3 times. Of all the OS's I've used, I prefer WebOS for many reasons - ease of use, multitasking is better than any platform, homebrew community, WebOS community, simplicity (Android is powerful and calls out to my geeky side, but there's much to be said for a platform that just works without the bugs of an OS that's trying hard to be the most advanced), the camera, and the size of the device.

It's interesting to me that over the last 9 months I've used some of the best smartphones on the market. Hands down, I think the Pre Plus (with Homebrew) bests them all. I expect that when Palm releases the Pre 2 I will have to break my smartphone moratorium and spring for it.
    Wow... that is an expensive habit. Should I open a clinic?
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    impressive. you are clearly the perfect woman.
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    I'm impressed with the range of experience you have with the multiple OS's and devices. And to see you come back to webOS three(3) times says a lot for that OS. Thanks for sharing!
    The marketing team for the Pre2 (if it exists) should get a hold and do a bit on you!!

Funny stuff! I have a hard time keeping a phone for more than 6 months...
  6.    #6  
    It's not as expensive as you'd think. There was the initial outlay of $200 for the iPhone 3GS. Sold that on Craigslist for $450. Paid for early termination fee with AT&T as well as new Droid. Each phone was either returned or sold on Craigslist to pay for the next phone. It's roughly cost neutral though requires a lot of time and energy. It's the accessories that start to add up.

My poor ungadget husband would not agree that my smartphone habit makes me the perfect woman (poor guy). We have 6 kids. My 10 year old regularly asks me if she can get a new cell phone - after all, mom does every few weeks... Hence the self-imposed moratorium.
    while you are on your moratorium, you can focus on buying a touchstone charger for every room in the house. Verizon is still selling them bundled with a car charger for $9.99
  8.    #8  
    Just bought 3... I expect I'll have to consider an accessories moratorium at some point.

While on the subject though, I purchased a 2pk of cases from AT&T:
    AG Findings Blue/Chrome GRT Slider Case - Palm - Cell Phone Accessories - Wireless from AT&T

They don't use tabs to stay on the device, it slides on. It comes with 2 backs, one of which is touchstone compatible. I've used Seidio cases and an Otterbox case on the Pre, I like AT&T's cases the best. A bit pricey, but worth it given the touchstone compatibility.
    Honestly, this sounds like a crazy joke.
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    while you are on your moratorium, you can focus on buying a touchstone charger for every room in the house. Verizon is still selling them bundled with a car charger for $9.99
    Great... I need to pick up another one for my sons Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetmom88 View Post
    It's not as expensive as you'd think.
    Probably not... I'm just feeling the sting of upgrading my wife and I both to two new EVO's Saturday so that I could pay my first $100 TEP deductible on Sunday to replace one of them (cat knocked it off the kitchen counter and shattered the glass screen).

I didn't have any intention of keeping mine. I just figured I could play with it for just under 30 days and take it back then wait for the new HPalm device.

So now that I will have a replacement, I can't return it and get my upgrade eligibility back. So off to Craig's List or Ebay I shall go to offset the cost of whatever new WebOS device comes out next.
    and you can get a wall charger + palm cable for under $10 delivered on amazon.com all day long. I have one for every touchstone, and I've lost count. They are everywhere in the house/office/car.
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    Probably not... I'm just feeling the sting of upgrading my wife and I both to two new EVO's Saturday so that I could pay my first $100 TEP deductible on Sunday to replace one of them (cat knocked it off the kitchen counter and shattered the glass screen).

I didn't have any intention of keeping mine. I just figured I could play with it for just under 30 days and take it back then wait for the new HPalm device.

So now that I will have a replacement, I can't return it and get my upgrade eligibility back. So off to Craig's List or Ebay I shall go to offset the cost of whatever new WebOS device comes out next.
    you jumped to EVO? whuh? does your elder board know about this? this won't end well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    you jumped to EVO? whuh? does your elder board know about this? this won't end well.
    No... not officially... I had really just planned on playing around for a bit. You know, a little bit of WebOS infidelity . It's all in good fun, "phones with benefits". But I'm still true to my first love. In fact I just purchased (from Rot here on the forums) a German O2 GSM Pre so I could have my Pre and apps when I travel to Europe for work.

I would have put my wife in a Pre but Good Messaging for Enterprise has not released the WebOS version yet and my wifes work requires that for access to their mail server. I have been waiting since last fall. They had a public beta ready to roll out at the end of May and it got shelved due to security issues in WebOS.

So... in the end, when my EVO replacement comes in, I will activate it on her line and return her EVO and get her upgrade eligibility back. I already have my Pre re-activated on my line. Then when the new HPalm comes out I will use her upgrade and just activate it on my line.

BTW.. I did go pick up two of the TS Bundles. $10 each and Free overnight shipping.... you just can't beat a deal like that.
    Glad to have you back....again!

Your exposure will be invaluable to our new members transitioning from other platforms. Please visit often.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetmom88 View Post
    It's interesting to me that over the last 9 months I've used some of the best smartphones on the market. Hands down, I think the Pre Plus (with Homebrew) bests them all. I expect that when Palm releases the Pre 2 I will have to break my smartphone moratorium and spring for it.
    Hopefully the Pre 2 will be worth breaking your smartphone moratorium. I’m glad you settled back to the Pre Plus, it is truly an awesome phone. Welcome back and please stay awhile.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
  17.    #17  
    [QUOTE=pastorrich1;2623382]No... not officially... I had really just planned on playing around for a bit. You know, a little bit of WebOS infidelity . It's all in good fun, "phones with benefits". But I'm still true to my first love. In fact I just purchased (from Rot here on the forums) a German O2 GSM Pre so I could have my Pre and apps when I travel to Europe for work.]

I think it's good for Pre owners to venture out into other OS's to see what is up in other platforms. Shows us what is possible, and has always reaffirmed for me that WebOS is where I want to be. Trying out the Incredible and Droid X only got me excited for better hardware for Palm devices. Can't imagine how smooth and enjoyable WebOS will be with a 1GHZ processor under the hood.

It's funny that with the Droid X and Incredible, most people don't Overclock, they underclock according to screenstate in order to save battery life. No real need at this point for the phone to function faster than 1GHZ provides. I recently checked out the Blackberry Torch at an AT&T store and it made me hope for better, more solid and quality construction in the next Palm device.

If we don't try out other platforms, we can't ask Palm for the most advanced features to come to WebOS, and it's next to impossible to really appreciate the platform for what it offers that iOS and Android simply can't offer.
    WOW! Looks like you've tried every platform except blackberry and Nokia Maemo. Glad to see you back here...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaurav View Post
    WOW! Looks like you've tried every platform except blackberry and Nokia Maemo. Glad to see you back here...
    Oops, forgot to mention that I use a Blackberry Bold at work. Hardly worth mentioning I expect.
    Geez! At least you've managed to keep the spending on this habit to a minimum.

Some of us who have been sticking with Palm must seem kind of silly to you, in comparison! LOL!

I've even gone so far as to get my son addicted!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast