Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am wondering if I could hear from anyone who overclocked their Pre and saw NO real change or minimal speed increase. There are many who have posted their joy in doing this but I am wondering if there is a chance of it doing very little or nothing.........delete if this has been covered.

Thanks-
    Tom
    You WILL see an increase..its just a given, really once you have been using it for a while it becomes the norm..but if you ever go to a store and use a stock pre..and compare..dear lord they are slow.

It is a big jump if you use any of the 800mhz kernels, go for it,
    Def an increase in speed. My buddy has a stock Pre and it's just very slow in comparison to mine. Using Uber + Govnah, Screen state, Compache enabled at 32MB.

As stated above, it becomes a norm in that you really don't realize the increase until it's gone (back to OEM). After replacing my Pre and running OEM, I was ready to shoot my Pre. Lol
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    I don't think you will find anyone that overclocked a Pre and didn't see a speed increase.
    I'm at 800mhz on Thunderchief, and it makes a huge difference, not just in speed but also eliminating 'Too Many Cards' errors. I had the same positive experience on Uberkernel.
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Smith View Post
    I'm at 800mhz on Thunderchief, and it makes a huge difference, not just in speed but also eliminating 'Too Many Cards' errors. I had the same positive experience on Uberkernel.
    Ditto!!!
    Definite increase in speed! Do it!
    'Too Many Cards' error is gone.

Also it is noticeably faster. No doubt about it. One thing I have noticed is the phone freezing up a little more often and having to restart. While it's more often than before, it isn't bad enough that I would consider going back or replacing my phone.
    "...human sacrifices, dogs and cats living together! MASS HYSTERIA!"

-Ghostbusters
    Well considering you're increasing the performance of the central component responsible for pretty much everything by 60-100%, you'd have to have done something wrong not to see major improvements.
    I am running Thunderchief, with a screenstate of 1005/500 and I am loving the increase in speed, the lack of tmc error, & a noticeably less "laggy" email. I am keeping an eye on Govnah since the update. If you don't have any increase in speed, something is wrong.
    after about 2 or 3 months you wont notice the speed unless you uninstall the kernel lol then you will die without it !!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    You will definetely notice a difference if you clock at 800mhz and have gotten spoiled by it and you then update your webOS to a newer version and all of your patches are gone, I mean you cannot get into Preware and update your patches fast enough, lol.
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    Only way to not see a speed increase is to stop using the Pre.
    T300 - T600 - T650 - T700p - T755p - T800w - Pre
    After seeing the PreCentral video today about kernels and Govnah I decided to take the leap about 20 minutes ago. OMG how can you NOT notice the difference. I installed the uberkernel. I left it at default and its faster but then changed it to screenstate...it's blazing now! I love it. I'm curious and must research on here when I get a sewing order done this evening what the temp should be, what's good what's bad. If someone wants to point me in the right direction that would be great. I can't believe the difference! You'll definitely notice it!
    Jolie

"If my Pre were a man I'd marry him!"

I don't need to understand the way you think I need to, I understand the way I think I need to.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    I'm just wondering how the battery life is with over clocking, I already have trouble getting through an entire day with moderate usage. The main advantage I can see is if I can accomplish tasks quicker with it being overclocked, the screen would be on less and I can underclock it when the screen is off, hopefully getting more battery life???
    in the beginning I was like'nah,why bother,my pre is fine'. Then I tried it once uber was out to the public with gov,and wow,what a differnce. Can't go back,,wont go back.
    that's probably because with the new speed you play with it more without even realizing it. It happened to many of us.
    Quote Originally Posted by vandelay View Post
    The main advantage I can see is if I can accomplish tasks quicker with it being overclocked, the screen would be on less and I can underclock it when the screen is off, hopefully getting more battery life???

/sigh

In a perfect world, this would work. The reality? It is far, far different I'm afraid.

At lunch today I was at 45% battery and I BARELY even used my phone this morning. I get maybe 2-3 hours of heavy use from it.... and I'm running FAR lower voltages than the majority of people... and definitely less than the UK kernels. I barely make it 8-10 hours without use.
    took the leap about 2 months ago. major difference in performance and battery usage. wife has stock pre very slow and laggy in comparison.
    Worst decision for me. I've had to pull the battery 3 times since owning this Pre. With OC I was pulling the batt 3 times a day and sometimes every 3-4 hours.

Went as high as 800 with almost all combinations and the minor diff was DEFINITELY not worth the lock ups. With all of our app testing and ensuring to never run poorly written apps and patches, our Pre's fly stock.

We've timed the "launch card" pulses extensively and it pulses every 1.06 seconds. 98% of my apps load at 1 pulse (excl music, maps, cal) and even at 720 99% of my apps still loaded in one pulse so I was crashing my phone for no reason basically.

With "clean" apps, and a nighly reboot, this phone runs sweet so I'm passing for now.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast