Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    I must have a bad Pre!! ARGGGHHHHHH! I just did a standard restart after doing a PreWare update and got the "erase all data" screen or "just restart." I tapped "just restart" and then discovered that I had to reload my Palm profile and all my applications and sms and all were gone. Totally, TOTALLY unacceptable!!! Maybe I have one of the few bad Pre units as I seem to have more trouble than anyone else. I've been trying to hold on until the next WebOS device on Sprint (pricing issue) but I don't know now. All GONE!!!!!
    I've had that happen to me 3 times. Lucky for me it was shortly after I backed up everything.
    Sounds like a Preware bug to me.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pre-fan View Post
    Really? I had not hard of such. Do you use Preware? Got any clues for me?
    You had just performed a Preware update, right? You didn't provide too many details, but I'm assuming you mean that you updated some package on your phone. Therefore, it would logically follow that the issue is related to your Preware update.
    that sounds like a problem on Palm's side with your profile, perhaps corrupted during the shut down? Did you have your Preware and USB stuff backed up before that happened? If you had Preware save you package info it will all be recoverable from the USB drive. Same with apps if you use Save/Restore.

Either way, if your phone decided to start completely over, that sounds more like something happened when it tried to reconnect to Palm, or maybe something got scrambled during shut down...

Ouch. I hope you recover the important stuff.
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    that sounds like a problem on Palm's side with your profile, perhaps corrupted during the shut down? Did you have your Preware and USB stuff backed up before that happened? If you had Preware save you package info it will all be recoverable from the USB drive. Same with apps if you use Save/Restore.

Either way, if your phone decided to start completely over, that sounds more like something happened when it tried to reconnect to Palm, or maybe something got scrambled during shut down...

Ouch. I hope you recover the important stuff.
    Yea - thanks. I, of course, lost all the homebrew stuff as well and gonna have to get Preware and all that back on to get to save/restore. When I used save/restore before, I did not off load the save. Are you suggesting the info might still be on the Pre?

Fortunately, I have chosen to save all contact data to my google id rather than palm profile, so I'm hoping all that will be fine. Something very strange happened.
    both the preware list and the save/restore stuff should be on your USB storage area.
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    Quote Originally Posted by pre-fan View Post
    The problem the OP described is the screen that results after a log out of the palm profile occurs. If the log out was not initiated by the user, I assume it is possible based on the description on the dialog though how one would perform the log out I'm not aware of. However there is a bug server side most likely, though the cases are few compared to total webOS users, that causes users to be logged out of their profile. Anything occurring on the device when this happens is merely coincidental otherwise it would be happening widespread if it was something popularly used causing it. On behalf of the homebrew community I can assure everyone that it isn't anything homebrew that you can get from the preloaded feeds in preware, preware itself, or from the developer community here. I can't speak for any packages downloaded outside of these sources.

There is a big thread on the forum about being logged out of profile which has contact info for the palm rep on the forum to make a report to so they can gather info to help solve why it happens.
    As requested: for my works on webOS patches and apps. Twitter: @larryboytw Patches: Small icons browser start page, 5x5 launcher. I have an AAS CIS Programming degree. I enjoy working on open source projects and alpha and beta testing.
    http://install.preware.org/ for easy to get up and running for patches and apps.
    It happened to me right after I finished doctoring and just got the apps downloaded (not preware) or even developer mode.