1.    #1  
    Ok, I'm starting this new thread since I can't seem to find any others that address directly the issue. I came across another member who have had a similar problem to mine, and still has not found any solutions either. May be this could come in handy for other people in the future.

So here goes. After editing the CarrierNetworkSettings.db3 file to include my provider, which is Telma mobile in Madagascar, I now have the Edge/3G logo on the top right of the screen. Still cannot use data though, as whenever I'm trying to load a website in the browser, I get a message error stating "Unable to resolve host [2006]". I can't manage to get any other apps that require data usage to work either.

So basically, I think if the settings I entered in the database file were not correct, I wouldn't get the 3G/Edge logo. Since the Network Settings info I got from my carrier mentions the use of a proxy - but on my end I can't seem to find where to enter these info (only the mms proxy are editable both directly on the device and in the CarrierNetworkSettings database file) - my guess is that's where the problem lies.

Bad news for me is, unfortunately every carrier in the country uses a proxy in their Network Settings requirements Such a shame Palm did not include the possibility to modify proxy settings in WebOS so far. Here's hoping they can change that in upcoming versions, so I can finally use my Palm up to its potential.
    Last edited by ShotmaKer; 08/23/2010 at 02:49 PM.
    I would guess it's because only some apps will work with a proxy. Web pages go well, because it's just http requests. Most proxies do this with ease.

Email (imap, pop, exchange) uses different ports for accessing the server, most standard web proxies will not do this at all.

Hopefully, your carrier has a smartphone or 3G USB network plan that does not have a proxy. You will have to change to this to get it to work and get the most out of the phone.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
  3.    #3  
    Well I'm also hoping for them to release a smartphone plan that does not have a proxy. Until then I'm stuck with no data on my Palm, and it's such a shame because I really love the device.
    It can still work on wifi - maybe at home or office or hot spots.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
  5.    #5  
    Yeah, sure thing. Although wifi is not as common over here as it is overseas. Plus wifi is too much of a hassle with the bad connection speed, and prices ain't the cheapest either. Anywayz, just managed to get the data to work, so I thought I'd let you know. I tried to explained how here, although I'm not really sure which changes made the trick. It's working though, and I couldn't be more thrilled at the moment. Discovering the Palm's potential and really enjoying it. Thank you very much for you answers, frantid.
    That's great, maybe you found out how to enable proxy support? If your email works, then it's probably the second apn you set up working. Unless Palm has some linux proxy service running on the Pre? But I think the webos Internals team would have found it by now, if that were the case.

7.    #7  
    Really not sure which apn is getting the job done though. And I don't want to test one at a time, in case something goes wrong and I lose my data connection again. The second apn doesn't use a proxy, so there's a chance it's the right one. Nonetheless, that would be kind of weird since that apn isn't mentioned anywhere on the carrier website and was posted by somebody on a forum right after the carrier debut some 3-4 years ago. When I called the support center, they did not mention that apn either, and told me to stick to the first one because "it's the only one that's working at the moment and it does work for everybody else". My understanding is that they use the proxy to force people to use their wap service, in order for the network not to get saturated for one (it probably would if people were exclusively using the faster internet service in lieu of the slower wap service), and for another, because the bulk of mobile devices over here most probably support only wap.

Email works grand, as well as web browser, facebook app, etc. Gosh, even tethering is working, just haven't realized before how fabulous it was. I don't know about the linux proxy service, but as you said if there were one, the guys would probably have found it by now.