Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have been thinking about getting a kindle. I really enjoy reading books on my Palm with The Kobo Books app. I have been searching the forumsand online trying to figure this out and I'm just getting more confused. Is there a way to get books I buy for the Kindle to load on my Pre? I have pReader on my Pre. Is this possible or is there no way to get kindle books on the pre?
    pReader has a Kindle import function. I don't know how well it works though.
    Kindle books are in two formats - .azw and .tpz

Most books that I've bought from Amazon are in .azw format. This is a DRM'd .mobi file. It is possible to strip the DRM and then rename it to .mobi Assuming that pReader reads .mobi files?

The .tpz files are more difficult. They're custom files with embedded fonts etc. Not that easy to strip the DRM...

Hope that helps a bit?
    You can buy the books for Kindle for your PC. Then you can use skindle to de drm the .azw file and then put it on your Pre and read it with pReader. Some people might complain that this is illegal, but as far as I'm concerned, if i purchase the book and then strip the drm to use it form my own use, I don't see any problem.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 08/23/2010 at 09:03 PM.
    it is so much nicer to read the actual book, the smell of the ink and paper, the elegance of a leather bound book is a thing of beauty. i carry a couple around with me all the time. i don't see how reading a book on a 3 inch screen is all that.. now a tablet or laptop would be better, but still not as nice as reading a real book. kind of hard to put ebooks on a bookshelf too!!
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    there is a kobo e-reader too. they teamed up with borders. looks about the size of a kindle.
  7.    #7  
    Thanks for the info! Even if its not what I was looking for (Jack)...I personally like to read on my phone. Its very convenient for me, and I don't like to haul around books with me. To each their own.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    Unfortunately I don't see the mindshare being large enough for Amazon to allow an app for the Kindle. Though I'd like the convenience of it, I don't think reading a book on the screen of my Pre is going to be a big draw for me.

The beauty of the Kindle is that it's VERY convenient to have multiple books on one small device. It's thin, not bulky, and is very easy to read. Looking at a backlit screen all the time gives me a bit of eyestrain, even though I've been doing it most of my life. However reading on the Kindle (I have a 1st generation Kindle) is really easy for extended periods. I'm thinking I may upgrade to the new wifi only version they have just released, but will probably wait for my birthday. )

So my answer is that you won't need a Kindle app as they are different uses for different machines. Just as I wouldn't want to go grocery shopping in a ferrari, I wouldn't want to go on the Autobahn in my Sister's minivan. Likewise I don't want to read books on my Pre nor surf the internet on my Kindle (though having the option to is nice if I'm in a pinch).
    I would be remiss if I didn't ask if you have looked @ the Nook? I bought mine about 2 months ago & love it....did not buy the one w/ 3G b/c guess what? I can have WiFi anytime b/c of my Mobile Hotspot!! (yeah baby!!)
    Quote Originally Posted by sherryterry1 View Post
    I would be remiss if I didn't ask if you have looked @ the Nook? I bought mine about 2 months ago & love it....did not buy the one w/ 3G b/c guess what? I can have WiFi anytime b/c of my Mobile Hotspot!! (yeah baby!!)
    Nook is pretty good. I myself have a Kindle though. 2 best dedicated e-readers on the market - Kindle and Nook!!!
    If you read a lot then consider getting a dedicated reader
    Quote Originally Posted by stomsf View Post
    Unfortunately I don't see the mindshare being large enough for Amazon to allow an app for the Kindle. Though I'd like the convenience of it, I don't think reading a book on the screen of my Pre is going to be a big draw for me.

The beauty of the Kindle is that it's VERY convenient to have multiple books on one small device. It's thin, not bulky, and is very easy to read. Looking at a backlit screen all the time gives me a bit of eyestrain, even though I've been doing it most of my life. However reading on the Kindle (I have a 1st generation Kindle) is really easy for extended periods. I'm thinking I may upgrade to the new wifi only version they have just released, but will probably wait for my birthday. )

So my answer is that you won't need a Kindle app as they are different uses for different machines. Just as I wouldn't want to go grocery shopping in a ferrari, I wouldn't want to go on the Autobahn in my Sister's minivan. Likewise I don't want to read books on my Pre nor surf the internet on my Kindle (though having the option to is nice if I'm in a pinch).
    Well hopefully there will be many users with different perspectives. There are already kindle apps for Andriod and Apple iOS. Hopefully one for webos will also be released...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Obviously, some people would prefer to read a book on a dedicated, larger screen device. But for those that are satisfied with reading on their Pre, Kindle books is a good option if you are willing to de drm the Kindle book. I have been using the eReader website for a long time and it used to be really good, but the prices have gone up and the selections have gone down. Kindle on the other hand, does have some good prices and a very good selection. The ability to put Kindle books on your Pre is a nice option, for many of us who want to read books on the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaurav View Post
    Well hopefully there will be many users with different perspectives. There are already kindle apps for Andriod and Apple iOS. Hopefully one for webos will also be released...
    If you want a Kindle app for WebOS be sure to drop Amazon a line at kindle-feedback@amazon.com. They don't know something is in demand if nobody tells them they want it.
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    it is so much nicer to read the actual book, the smell of the ink and paper, the elegance of a leather bound book is a thing of beauty. i carry a couple around with me all the time. i don't see how reading a book on a 3 inch screen is all that.. now a tablet or laptop would be better, but still not as nice as reading a real book. kind of hard to put ebooks on a bookshelf too!!
    I tried to read a book on my Pre and my eyes are just too old to adjust to a small screen. I'm loving my Nook and carry it everywhere with me. Right now, I probably have 400 books loaded on it. I also have a Nook app on my PC and I can access all the same books from it.

My problem is that I have two full walls of books. Well, it's not a problem. I love books and I will continue to buy some, but maybe I will not run out of room so fast.

Of course, I will still be looking seriously when a certain tablet hits the market....
    I personally have developed different habits of reading depending on the medium I am using. For some things I prefer to read on my Pre, and others on my computer and others actual textbooks. Each platform has it benefits and virtues and serves a different function. This is how my reading habits generally work:

• Reading on my phone: I use my Pre almost exclusive for various medical reference texts. Its much more convenient than carrying around a book. Its faster and more easy to access
    • Laptop/tablet: I don't recall the last time I actually bought a newpaper or magazine. I almot always only read these on on my laptop. Even though a newspaper has more reading space, I much rather prefer the rich multimedia experience on a PC screen or iPad like device
    • Textbooks: I absolutely perfer paper textbooks for studyying and or review materials. I like to read on actual paper, flip over, highlight, make annotations, underline, bookmark and etc. I just can't do that as well on any other platform. For me, the learning experience is just better on plain old paper.
    • Kindle like device: I have not read a novel for pleasure on an e-ink device like a kindle but would be willing to try.
    Last edited by Gaurav; 08/24/2010 at 11:07 AM.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    it is so much nicer to read the actual book, the smell of the ink and paper, the elegance of a leather bound book is a thing of beauty.!
    Its so much nicer to flip through the bills I didn't spend

They have paper and leather scratch&sniff stickers you can put on your kindle (or nook or pre or whatever).
    Funny, I'm looking into buying a kindle as well
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Has anyone tried to use My Tether to connect via wifi on a Kindle 3? I keep getting error messages that "peer-to-peer networks are not supported on Kindle." I didn't think My Tether used a peer-to-peer setup anymore. Anyone know a workaround?
    Quote Originally Posted by hilaritas View Post
    Has anyone tried to use My Tether to connect via wifi on a Kindle 3? I keep getting error messages that "peer-to-peer networks are not supported on Kindle." I didn't think My Tether used a peer-to-peer setup anymore. Anyone know a workaround?
    I've had this working like... once. It just keeps connecting and disconnecting itself. Very frustrating.
    Palm Pre!!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast