1.    #1  
    I'm running the 64-bit version of Ubuntu Linux 10.04 and can't get novacom to install. When I try to run the .deb file, it tells me my architecture is unsupported. What do I have to do to get it to link up with my 32-bit libraries and install? I don't want to have to boot to windows just to use WOSQI
    Usually, when you have problem installing novacomd, you can also get it from webosQI. Since you don't have either one, I would suggest typing in novacom download, and see what happen.
  3.    #3  
    That's actually how i got to where I am. When I attempt installation from WOSQI, it tells me that novacom must be downloaded, I say yes, it downloads, and then when I run it I get the error.
    If a black screen comes up saying anything about removing ignore it. Novacomd is now installed on your PC.

Make sure you also have the latest java running. 1.6 or greater.

Your pre is in dev mode.. Webos20090606.
    google novacom drivers for x64 linux. Palm has them on their dev site somewhere, they shouldn't be too hard to find.
  6.    #6  
    *d'oh*

I googled all kinds of "install i386 novacom on x64 linux" and variations earlier with no luck, but didn't have the good sense to just look for "novacom driver x64 linux". So, here's the link:

Installing the SDK on Ubuntu
    I always think that using windows XP, regardless of how old it might be... Work beautiful in getting these application(s) to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by RL View Post
    I always think that using windows XP, regardless of how old it might be... Work beautiful in getting these application(s) to work.
    I cant think of a single thing that windows does better than my Linux box... but I could sit down over a beer and tell you about what Linux does better than windows for hours.

Windows is a turd... has pretty much always been a turd... now they are simply trying to wrap it in more flashy paper. I agree that it has its place... there are a lot of people out there that aren't tech savvy enough to set a Linux box up, but those same people would be absolutely lost if they had to do a fresh install of windows or mac from scratch, without all the drivers installed and everything else. I can tell you... building a windows box is a 2 day adventure of frustration... building a Linux box is usually a few hours, a pizza, and a good movie.

That said... if you are lucky enough to have an oem disk from the computer manufacturer that puts all your drivers and everything out there for you, its not as bad... but its still a long a frustrating ordeal. You can buy a box with a linux distro optimized to it and have the same experience, only much more pleasant.

Linux boots faster, uses fewer system resources, is much more modular and easy to fix when something breaks... its just... better. Give Ubuntu 10.04 a try and see for yourself... its certainly not everyones favorite distro, but its definitely windows user friendly... and where you normally have to fight with windows to get a peripheral to work, installing the drivers, getting windows to recognize them and communicate etc... Ubuntu will usually "just work" you dont normally have to install anything for most main stream peripherals, just plug it in and it works.
    How do you like Ubuntu? I am looking to switch from Windows XP.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky33cw View Post
    How do you like Ubuntu? I am looking to switch from Windows XP.
    I like it a lot. It has its quirks that you have to get used to, but once you switch over, you'll notice waaaaaaaay more quirks in XP than you did before. I find myself quite frustrated now anytime I'm stuck using XP. Stick with a dual-boot to start with, or perhaps use Wubi before you clear out your XP partition completely.
    I switched and haven't looked back since. The ONLY thing that is really a problem is no official iTunes support which blows if I have an iPod/iPhone, but I don't so no big deal. I love how it just does what you need/want and isn't full of crap like Windows.
    That link is of course dead, but the info is on archive.org, so I updated it
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazirker View Post
    *d'oh*

I googled all kinds of "install i386 novacom on x64 linux" and variations earlier with no luck, but didn't have the good sense to just look for "novacom driver x64 linux". So, here's the link:

UPDATED:Installing the SDK on Ubuntu