Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    I've been making my own ringtones for my PPP (verizon), and *occasionally* i have a problem: I have a ringtone file on my computer, and it will be labeled/named (for example) "Santana - smooth.mp3". And when i transfer it to my phone and, while i have the phone connected to the computer, and open up the 'ringtone' file, that will be the file's indicated name as well.

BUT, when i'm using my phone, and open up "sounds and ringtones" and touch "ringtone" to look at my list of ringtone options, the label/name will be "unknown".

The file is there - if i press on play the ringtone will play. But, it's not labeled correctly. It doesn't say "santana-smooth" it says "unknown".

This doesn't always happen: Sometimes, when i transfer a ringtone to my phone, it ends up with the correct label on the phone. But sometimes it doesn't, and i can't have a bunch of "unknowns" on my list, because i will forget what they are.

Help?
    I noticed you are using a .MP3 file extension name. But ... are you sure you are creating a .MP3 formatted file?
    It might be something in the file's metadata....
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    SaintDog: Yes, when i create the ringtone, i specify it as mp3, and that's what it says when i look at the file properties.

JJeffcoat: What do you mean by "metadata"?
    Quote Originally Posted by jjeffcoat View Post
    It might be something in the file's metadata....
    Quote Originally Posted by stephenj View Post
    SaintDog: Yes, when i create the ringtone, i specify it as mp3, and that's what it says when i look at the file properties.

That's the problem. Right click the file (after mounting in USB mode, but you can do it before copying in the future), and select Properties. Switch to the Details tab, and you'll see something similar to that attached image.

Highlight the information in the Title field, and change it to whatever title you want.

The attachment is for a notifcation whose filename is msg_gini.mp3, but shows in my selections as Notification Gini.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    That's the problem. Right click the file (after mounting in USB mode, but you can do it before copying in the future), and select Properties. Switch to the Details tab, and you'll see something similar to that attached image.
    [/B].
    Problem solved.
    Quote Originally Posted by stephenj View Post

^^^^ What hparsons said.

My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    This also solved a similar problem i was having with music files. I'd have an MP3 on my computer named "Van Halen - Unchained.mp3" or somesuch, but when i loaded it onto my phone and opened my music player, the song name area would be blank, even though the song name appeared to be correct in the phone's music file as well.

If i tapped on the blank area it would play, but with multiple blank song titles i was losing track of which songs were which.

Went into the 'details' sections for a bunch of these songs and the same fix worked on them.
    I had this problem with 2 .mp3 files. I tried the above several times without success. I got it to work with one of the files by retyping the file name in the comments section. I tried the same trick several times to the second file with no joy.

So I'm not really sure if typing in the comments section was the trick or for some reason it just finally took.

In any event thanks for the advice 50% is still good!!
    I've got a huge mess. I changed all my MP4's to MP3, and on my phone they all showed as unknown. So I went back into the properties of each and every one and added the title in properties. They still show as unknown on my phone. I made a copy of my ringtone folder before all this on my desktop. Copied it back to my phone and now I have double everything, and all the added ringtones (not the stock) say unknown. I must say, I was trying to do 2 things tonight - convert all to mp3, which apparently was successful, and raise the volume using MP3Gain. Not sure when the "unknown" happened. Do I delete everything (not the stock ringtones) from my phone and start over with the backup file on my computer?

This is a mess!!!!

(I guess I should have just done one at a time till I knew what I was doing.)

I'm not offended by all the dumb blonde jokes because I know I'm not dumb... and I also know that I'm not blonde. Dolly Parton