1.    #1  
    Hey everyone,

In about 5 days I get a new Palm Pre from Bell, and while I was doing some research I wanted to ask a fairly simple question which i couldn't find else-ware.

Why Root (Hack?) The palm pre?

In a few articles I read it says that applications (homebrew ones) can be installed without rooting the phone, so thats why I'm asking. Is there more possibilities? I figure warranty will be canceled if I do root it.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
    You do not root your pre, you just enable developer mode and install homebrew-apps. the warranty will not be canceled.
  3.    #3  
    Thank you, thats all I needed to know!
    Quote Originally Posted by AviPBN View Post
    Hey everyone,

In about 5 days I get a new Palm Pre from Bell, and while I was doing some research I wanted to ask a fairly simple question which i couldn't find else-ware.

Why Root (Hack?) The palm pre?

In a few articles I read it says that applications (homebrew ones) can be installed without rooting the phone, so thats why I'm asking. Is there more possibilities? I figure warranty will be canceled if I do root it.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
    The proper word to use is Enhance. Sound a lot better. We enhance our pres' for different reasons. You should try it. Read this:Application:Preware - WebOS Internals
    Yes, rooting is now outdated, thanks to Preware!
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    The benefits far outway the risks when using homebrew.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    One more side note, if you felt inclined to take on one of the handful of projects that do require root terminal access to your Pre and modifying things manually, you still wouldn't be voiding your warranty. Running WebOSDoctor on your Pre would undo anything done by "rooting."
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    It is as if you said that the result a dog and a cat mating was a giraffe. It's so completely wrong, that it's difficult to argue with someone who believes it to be true.
    Quote Originally Posted by VeeDubb65 View Post
    One more side note, if you felt inclined to take on one of the handful of projects that do require root terminal access to your Pre and modifying things manually, you still wouldn't be voiding your warranty. Running WebOSDoctor on your Pre would undo anything done by "rooting."
    unless of course you try the 1.2ghz overclock and somehow fry your phone =) No, I haven't done it yet, but waiting to see who's first =)
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    Yes, rooting is now outdated, thanks to Preware!
    Preware is indeed great, but rooting has always been "outdated" on the Pre--developer mode has been there since day 1, which is to say that root access has always been available from Palm without having to break-in.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by linh.nguyen View Post
    unless of course you try the 1.2ghz overclock and somehow fry your phone =) No, I haven't done it yet, but waiting to see who's first =)
    Yeah, if you can get bast the Palm logo boot screen and have it up and running long enough to actually happen. My Pre has pink underwear so I couldn't try this.
    vasekvi, don't feel bad, my pre is sportin pink undies too
    Hrmm, I'm running a really low voltage on Warthog at 1.05ghz... I may just have to try SR71. Pretty sure I have a Chuck Norris Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by 9KRacing View Post
    Hrmm, I'm running a really low voltage on Warthog at 1.05ghz... I may just have to try SR71. Pretty sure I have a Chuck Norris Pre.
    You'll never know till you actually load SR71.
    This talk of Chuck Norris Pres makes me irrationally angry.

My Pre doesn't wear pink underwear because that would confine its gigantic balls; my Pre's balls are so big that both of them have Pres of their own running SR-71 nightlies updated in real time whenever Unixpsycho sits down to write code.
    My Pre is so cool, SR-71 is constantly giving me error messages about the processor potentially freezing.
    My Pre cannot be Chuck Norris because it eats so much battery power, I keep it permanently lodged on a touchstone energized by a horizontal hamsterwheel harnessing the power of Chuck Norris performing non-stop roundhouse kicks in my basement.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    This talk of Chuck Norris Pres makes me irrationally angry.

My Pre doesn't wear pink underwear because that would confine its gigantic balls; my Pre's balls are so big that both of them have Pres of their own running SR-71 nightlies updated in real time whenever Unixpsycho sits down to write code.

My Pre is so cool, SR-71 is constantly giving me error messages about the processor potentially freezing.
    My Pre cannot be Chuck Norris because it eats so much battery power, I keep it permanently lodged on a touchstone energized by a horizontal hamsterwheel harnessing the power of Chuck Norris performing non-stop roundhouse kicks in my basement.
    [