Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    My boyfriend's Pre has started acting up a lot; screen turning itself on and off, crackling on calls, speaker at the back crackling 24/7, etc.

Does anyone here in the UK have experience of the repair/replacement process, and advice whether to speak to o2 or Palm first?

Palm seem to charge for support ($25 in the US from what I read), and take you through resetting your phone and things (clearly won't do much in this case), and only refund the cost if they determine a return is necessary. Is this true, Brits? If so, do they send out a replacement phone before you send yours in, or are you left without a phone for ages?

Alternatively, how's o2's repair service? He doesn't have insurance, so I don't know if o2 would just tell him to get in touch with Palm as it'd be covered by the warranty instead?..
    H/Palm will change or repair your phone as long as it's still within the manufacturer warranty.(1yr) Not having insurance on your phone, doesn't seem like a smart thing to do.

Before doing anything, run a doctor on the phone. It might just fix the software problem your having. Here is the link to webos internal doctor versions: http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions

The exchange/repair service with Hpalm is as follows: If approve for exchange/repair. You will get a confirmation email on how to ship the defective device to Hpalm. Usually take up to five to seven business days, for phone to be repair, and send back to you. Sometime sooner.

Any other option can be explain to you by a representative. Explain the issues/problem you're expereincing with your phone clearly to the representative.

Good luck..
    Last edited by RL; 08/22/2010 at 08:48 AM.
    Global Posts
    492 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RL View Post
    H/Palm will change or repair your phone as long as it's still within the manufacturer warranty.(1yr) Not having insurance on your phone, doesn't seem like a smart thing to do.
    I dunno how it is in America, but in the UK phone insurance is really expensive; usually upwards of 10 ($15) a month, when the contract is only 30 or so a month, so not very many people use it here...

Also, the Pre's warranty is 2 years here and not 1 year as in the US, so any problems within the 2 year contract should be covered. Just not sure how difficult o2 will be about exchanges/repairs if not covered by insurance, as obviously they try to push their own insurance as much as possible!
    I haven't returned my pre,however my wife is on her 3rd bb curve.
    you phone 02 they give you a R.A.N number and where to post it.
    you can hire a dumb phone from 02,25 if i remember.
    Or use an old phone until they post it back,usually 5/10 working days.
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenX View Post
    Alternatively, how's o2's repair service? He doesn't have insurance, so I don't know if o2 would just tell him to get in touch with Palm as it'd be covered by the warranty instead?..
    I can't say for sure yet but my Pre power button failed and I went back into O2 last Monday to see what they would do. They checked I had it backed up and then sent it off for repair. It is, after all, under warranty and it is also in their interest to make it work (so I can use the contract I pay them for). No mention of any charges except the 25 deposit for a loan phone which I immediatly stopped using as it wouldn't work with email and I couldn't sync my contacts, suffice to say I could have got a significantly better phone for 25.

I expect a call this week to say when I'll get it back, in the meantime I am using my old Treo with an unlimited data plan which is a novelty, setting up frequent email sync and goosync for calendar was something I never did before due to data costs. It also lasts 3 days without charging which is nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by andyhurley View Post
    I can't say for sure yet but my Pre power button failed and I went back into O2 last Monday to see what they would do. They checked I had it backed up and then sent it off for repair. It is, after all, under warranty and it is also in their interest to make it work (so I can use the contract I pay them for). No mention of any charges except the 25 deposit for a loan phone which I immediatly stopped using as it wouldn't work with email and I couldn't sync my contacts, suffice to say I could have got a significantly better phone for 25.

I expect a call this week to say when I'll get it back, in the meantime I am using my old Treo with an unlimited data plan which is a novelty, setting up frequent email sync and goosync for calendar was something I never did before due to data costs. It also lasts 3 days without charging which is nice.

Exact same happened to me although they shipped it back to my home I didn't need to collect.
  7. sde
    yep, same thing.

Dead power switch, returned to local O2 shop (the O2 Dome) and it was back 9 days later. Unfortunately the plonkers downgraded it to 1.40 (but the letter from the repair centre boasted about upgrading it to the latest version )

Other than that it was exactly as expected. Having to use a old phone was hell though, it's annoying that they can't provide a decent loaner
    Guys,
    In my experience, it's faster to call Palm direct. They at least know what sort of phone you're talking about, and have knowledge of the various problems. They give you an SRO number and an address to send it to, and I had mine back inside a week.

Not relevant here, but worth mentioning for people browsing the thread; they don't check if you have an o2 contract, or if you're the original purchaser, so if like me you've got an ebay phone and you're using it on another network, it's no problem.

They will Doctor the phoen to the newest version before they do anything to it, so be sure to backup, including the flash.