Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    I was pondering the two terms and have a question. I have read the term "feature phone" a few times in the forums - typically in a negative light ("well then you're not ready for a pre. You need a feature phone") - and wondered what a smart phone is, and what a feature phone is.

I have a opinion of what a smart phone is: a phone that is capable of handling "work" related areas - email, document editing, calender. More specifically the ability to handle document editing on the fly. As a writer and a office manager, vacations are much more relaxing when I can leave the office & still be in control.

To me, a feature phone is a phone that does "stuff" - but serves no useful purpose beyond recreation and socializing.

my 755p is a smartphone.

my pre, for me, is a feature phone - it does stuff (albeit incredibly cool stuff).

that being said - what do you say?

why is the pre a smartphone?
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    I think it would seem that the only things feature phones don't do is business work and wifi. I think I can only remember a few feature phones that had wifi.

So in this regard, the Pre is about 95% smartphone (Can read business work). Therefor it is a smartphone.
    Bell Pre- running 2.1 @ 800MHz
    Samsung Galaxy Tab (stock)
    feature phone is a term the carriers use. They have feature phones that are mostly texting. multi-media phones that also do media, and smartphones. Carriers made up the terms, not anyone here... go to verizonwireless.com and see how they have them categorized for a good example...
    The Pre is a smartphone with a kick a## UI that is still in it's infancy and is unfortunately missing some key features, but all this will change in the up and coming months with webOS 2.0 and many more devices running webOS.
    feature phone is a phone that has features (i know, don't use the word you're defining in the definition... ) like maybe a keyboard, camera, something in the way of a music player, etc. many would have a resistive touch screen these days too.

a smartphone is a mini computer.
    Feature Phone - Any mobile phone that is not a smartphone or PDA phone.
    Smartphone - A mobile phone offering advanced capabilities, often with PC-like functionality (PC-mobile handset convergence).

If you consider your 755P a Smartphone and your Pre a Feature Phone - You’re probably not smart enough to own a Smartphone.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Smartphone: Sends e-mail
    Feature Phone: Any phone that doesn't
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    Do people really edit documents on these little phone screens. If that's what it takes to be a smart phone. Oh well.
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    i've had some dumbphones that did email.
    In a nutshell, a smartphone is a device that lets you make telephone calls, but also adds in features that you might find on a personal digital assistant or a computer--such as the ability to send and receive e-mail and edit Office documents, for example.
    From here http://http://cellphones.about.com/o...t_is_smart.htm
    Global Posts
    834 Global Posts
    According to AT&T, a "smartphone" is a device they can charge you twice as much for the same data for.
    Wow, I will have to tell my son his LG Remarq is a smartphone! ;-)

Gets me off a lot cheaper than a Pre, EVO, or Epic!
    Quote Originally Posted by aapold View Post
    According to AT&T, a "smartphone" is a device they can charge you twice as much for the same data for.
    Verizon has the same definition - If you have a smartphone you have to buy a data plan. So if you are on Verizon and are required to have a data plan you have a smartphone. I guess???
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    I believe the biggest difference is that a "feature phone" has its capabilities hardwired in, and can't be added to via apps. A "smartphone" would be one that can add capabilities via apps.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    pantech link sends email... and its a feature phone (or qmd =quick messaging device)

if email is a qualifier than i would say the support to view attachments makes a smart phone - welll .... smart...

but it also needs contact sync a robust calendar full html web browser capabilities ,....
    feel free to add on
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    I believe the biggest difference is that a "feature phone" has its capabilities hardwired in, and can't be added to via apps. A "smartphone" would be one that can add capabilities via apps.
    This is it. And Java mobile apps like the cell phone games you can download from your carrier for dumb phones don't count.

Smartphone have applications you can get to extend functionality. Feature phones have all the advanced features that smartphones have, like web browsing, e-mail, etc. but can't have their features increased by the addition of new applications.

In other words, when you buy a feature phone, you get the features listed on the box and that's it.
    Global Posts
    184 Global Posts
    I think the "hardwired and stuck that way" post was the answer I was looking for.

I think, regarding his "not smart enough statement" not - yet-pre is a jerk & a "feature" person.

Thanks for the input folks!
    many feature phones are getting that ability, so i stand by my post of attachments... check out the samsung eternity or the mythic or even the pantech link... all can have apps..

all companies are playing the app market game so if thats the line youre drawing its gonna get hazy pretty quickly
    nice try ryleyinstl... i can write a Wiki Article overnight took and post it up

but anyway... the smart debate was out when the iPhone was released ... did it really fit into smartphone category or was it a feature phone...

like i said apps are the way of every phone, smart , feature or "dumb" ... apps aint the gauge anymore...

PS: ryley i was kidding
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast