Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    Hi, I have been plagued by the most annoying problem ever since I upgraded itunes way back when they broke the last sync with the pre. I downloaded doubletwist and when I sync my playlists the songs will come over but the actual playlists will not recognize all the songs in the playlist in the Music Player Remix app. Not even sure if this app is a real app anymore because I can't find it in preware. Anyway, I have tried other music managers such as media monkey, etc. and the same problem happens where the songs will come over but the playlists will not recognize all the songs. Does anyone know an easy fix to this, I haven't been able to figure it out, even by researching the forums. I was hoping the last update would correct this but no luck still.

Thanks!
    Can you post how an excerpt of the contents of your playlist file and where this file is located on the Pre?
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Are you sure they aren't in protected format? Older Itunes songs that had copy protection on them have to be converted, they will not play as-is on the Pre or Pixi.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by verwon View Post
    Are you sure they aren't in protected format? Older Itunes songs that had copy protection on them have to be converted, they will not play as-is on the Pre or Pixi.
    The songs will play just fine on the pre. The problem I am having is the song will not include itself in the appropriate playlist. How do I check if the song is protected anyway?
    Global Posts
    426 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post
    Can you post how an excerpt of the contents of your playlist file and where this file is located on the Pre?
    I am not even sure what I would be looking for here? Can you please clarify?
    Quote Originally Posted by csal80 View Post
    I am not even sure what I would be looking for here? Can you please clarify?
    The Pre reads .m3u playlists, so when your sync program creates playlists, it has to put them in .m3u files and put them in the proper location on the Pre along with having the files with the correct path names. Here's an example of a playlist file:

#EXTM3U
    #EXTINF:325,46bliss - The Way You Are
    46bliss\Veronica Mars\The Way You Are.mp3
    #EXTINF:224,Andrea Revel - The Past Is Never Past
    Andrea Revel\Citysong\The Past Is Never Past.mp3
    #EXTINF:225,Aqualung - Broken Bones
    Aqualung\Memory Man\Broken Bones.mp3
    #EXTINF:322,The Funeral
    Band Of Horses\Everything All The Time\The Funeral.mp3
    #EXTINF:257,Beirut - Postcards From italy
    Beirut\Gulag Orkestar\Postcards From italy.mp3
    #EXTINF:305,Beth Orton - Daybreaker (Four Tet remix)
    Beth Orton\The Other Side of Daybreak\Daybreaker (Four Tet remix).mp3
    #EXTINF:260,Florence And The Machine - Between Two Lungs
    Florence And The Machine\Lungs\Between Two Lungs.mp3
    #EXTINF:466,Followed By Ghosts - The Entire City Was Silent
    Followed By Ghosts\The Entire City Was Silent\The Entire City Was Silent.mp3
    #EXTINF:245,Iron & Wine - Boy with a Coin
    Iron & Wine\The Shepherd's Dog\Boy with a Coin.mp3
    #EXTINF:258,Matthew Good Band - Everything Is Automatic
    Edit: All those \ should be / marks...
    Last edited by malpha; 08/21/2010 at 05:05 PM.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM
    Well, I will try to do a short tutorial for you on the playlists and see if you can get it set up.

1. Navigate to Your Music Directory on the Pre

This is where you will be putting the playlist files.

2. Create a new text document and call it <playlistname>.m3u

In this document, you can start tying the names of songs you want to be in the playlist. What you type depends on how your music is organized. For example, say that your music is located at Music/Artist/Album/track.mp3. Well, we're in the music folder, so to point to the song we want, we'll type:

Artist/Album/track.mp3

Example:

Thursday/War All the Time/Division St..mp3
    Thursday/War All the Time/Signals Over the Air.mp3
    Thursday/War All the Time/Asleep in the Chapel.mp3
    Thursday/War All the Time/This Song Brought to You By a Falling Bomb.mp3
    Thursday/War All the Time/Steps Ascending.mp3
    Thursday/War All the Time/War All the Time.mp3
    Thursday/War All the Time/Tomorrow I'll Be You.mp3
    3. Save your file, eject the Pre, then launch the music app

If everything went well and you didn't type in erroneous path names, your Pre should show the playlist under Playlists.

4. Yeah, buuuuut....I don't want to do this crap manually, omg.

Great, you don't have to. I basically walked you through the first three steps so that you know how the file is SUPPOSED to look, so that when your sync program syncs the files, you can either instruct your sync program to do it correctly...or if that is not possible, let it do it incorrectly and then you go through and fix it (which usually entails getting rid of the preceding /Music/ if it syncs your playlists according to absolute path name rather than relative path name or changing some \ to some /, etc).

The process is different depending of if you're using WMP, Songbird, Doubletwist, or MediaMonkey. I have zero WMP experience, Songbird abandoned Linux so goodbye to them, I never could get Doubletwist to work + it is Windows/Mac only, so I used to use MediaMonkey before I started managing them on device. MediaMonkey is pretty customizable on where to put and how to create playlists so that's why I chose it, but there are members using Doubletwist to great success...somewhere.
    screwdestiny
    PSN Twitter Last.FM