Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Last edited by nullr; 06/09/2011 at 11:19 PM.
    You're not that only one. And that doesnt "fix" the boot issue. Go make Lunasys faster, if you dare.
    If you want to buy a Palm Pre is great condition. Here's your chance.

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...91#post2782191
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    Boot time is something I pray gets better in the near future.. It's embarrassing compared to an iPhone

My boots take around 5 minutes sometimes...seriously. I don't have a many non-stock apps either. I do have many sync'ed accounts though.
    I would say that the Pre takes about as long as a Blackberry does to boot, but then again, a Blackberry's battery lasts at least 3 times longer.
    I can turn my Evo off an on four times or more before my Pre boots up, thats sad.
    I turned on an old Centro phone last night, put it down to wait for it to boot,and laughed my *** off. It booted up in less than 20 seconds.

I'm so used to the Pre taking a year that I miss the simplicity of the Centro.
    Quote Originally Posted by vasekvi View Post
    I would say that the Pre takes about as long as a Blackberry does to boot, but then again, a Blackberry's battery lasts at least 3 times longer.
    and then again who wants a blackberry?
    Quote Originally Posted by kinster02 View Post
    I can turn my Evo off an on four times or more before my Pre boots up, thats sad.
    Well, I guess this isn't a evo then. :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by jordan23945bulls View Post
    and then again who wants a blackberry?
    I know I dont. Loving my pre all day long.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    people who like to reboot their phone all day.
    You're so right about that.
    Blackberrys are not as rock solid as they used to be. My wife's 9700 reboots sometimes. Her 8310 never did. And when I first got it for her it would reboot when on the phone and I had to wipe it.
    my sprint pre boots plenty fast for me...
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Why does everyone say that blackberrys have solid batteries? My 8330 needed to charged at the end of the day even without me using it. I didn't even have any Email synced to it either. It also took forever.
    Back on topic my phone takes about 5-6 minutes to boot. I have about 150 apps so that never helps.
    LOL I have a few friends with BB's.... yeah they aren't that happy with them, and my non-plus Pre owns their BB. Only people I know who "like" their BB are the enterprise folks I get to deal with.
    once you load up all the App Catalog apps you own and everything else, it'll go back to the same boot time. What takes so long is Luna scanning and indexing installed apps and other files.

Hopefully with the couchDB solution on the horizon we will see faster boot times or maybe Palm has a better idea on how to handle it in the upcoming big update.
    What takes so long is Luna scanning and indexing installed apps and other files.
    Of course, the other half of the issue is that the file-system for all installed applications is encrypted. Boot times slowed a lot when the cryptofs system was introduced. It's an unfortunate consequence of having applications encrypted so that they can't be easily viewed when plugged in as a USB drive.
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Of course, the other half of the issue is that the file-system for all installed applications is encrypted. Boot times slowed a lot when the cryptofs system was introduced. It's an unfortunate consequence of having applications encrypted so that they can't be easily viewed when plugged in as a USB drive.
    If you wanted you could easily copy most apps anyway with stuff like internals its ridiculously easy. Seems kind of dumb. If app piracy is what they are worried I think the are going about it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyusaku View Post
    once you load up all the App Catalog apps you own and everything else, it'll go back to the same boot time. What takes so long is Luna scanning and indexing installed apps and other files.

Hopefully with the couchDB solution on the horizon we will see faster boot times or maybe Palm has a better idea on how to handle it in the upcoming big update.
    Nope loaded most of my apps back (the ones I remember so far) and time still the same. Maybe ill download a bunch of extra ones to see. I never remember the pre booting faster than 2 minutes even after the first setup. I remember I tested against friends BB curve first day I got it and it was in the 3 minute range. Maybe im remembering wrong but seems to me like something has been done about startup. Another side effect awesome battery life using F105 with normal 500-1005 config. Under normal usage on oem battery. Maybe if I mess with the configs it goes higher. Going from 5-10 hours average from before not bad at all. Will try higher usage after full charge to see battery life then.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I have to ask, are the processes being loaded in parallel or in serial? There has been a trend for the last few years in the linux community to change the boot process a little bit in order to make your system boot faster. I'm not sure if any distros are doing it yet, so I wouldn't be surprised to not being used in WebOS. The idea is that some processes require others to be loaded while others don't. If you load the processes without dependencies at the same time as loading the processes that are dependencies, you don't have to wait for them to load later. I don't remember exactly how this is done as I have never cared enough to play with my S0x scripts.
    The Palm Pre is a Linux phone and if you have ever used Linux, you know it never needs to be rebooted unless a hardware swap is necessary. So if your rebooting your phone for a reason, you could most likely eliminate your reboot by a simple command line, script or patch.

I KNOW NOT EVERYONE KNOWS HOW TO USE LINUX, SO DON'T FLAME ME FOR THAT. I AM HERE TO HELP IF I CAN. PM ME IF YOU NEED HELP WITH SOMETHING LINUX AND IF I CAN HELP I WILL DO SO.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
    Quote Originally Posted by demetry14 View Post
    The Palm Pre is a Linux phone and if you have ever used Linux, you know it never needs to be rebooted unless a hardware swap is necessary.
    Agreed. Apart from replacing the kernel, there should be no reason to reboot a webOS device. Anything else can be restarted using the Upstart Manager application or by restarting LunaSysMgr.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Rod - Is luna the WM, like X.org would be on our desktops? If not, what all does it control?

I'd like more info on upstart manager as well. Does it replace the need to reboot after putting the device into dev. mode? I'm still very new to how this os works under the hood and any explanation would be great.
    My launch day Palm Pre Non-Doctored takes 9 minutes for reboot, I have a bunch of programs plus homebrewed.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast