Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Has someone tried to use another init-system, not the original upstart, in mind comes the overly simple arch-init system or gentoo's openRC (based on the old init). My experience with upstart used in pre and developed from ubuntu is that it is overly bloated and does not hold to it promises. My netbook with UNR starts in considerably longer (I mean 3-4 times longer) times than with arch (around 20 secs). So the only downside I know is the service watchdog in upstart. Is this one used in the pre? Probably there are possibilities to use some extern program to watch and restart daemons when they die with for example gentoo boot system - this will cut I think the start times at least in half.
    [EDIT]There is still systemd
    TBFKAYIBYNYAAYB[/EDIT]
    Last edited by gergan; 08/24/2010 at 09:37 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkguy View Post
    nabril: preset reset is best run at night when time to boot is unimportant. Luna reset can be done from the newer preware menus and from the luna manager app. Luna restarts clears tmc errors everytime for me and generally fixes almost any problem I have. I do remember having a prob where the video app didn't see my videos and that did require a full reboot but any other prob I had was fixed w a luna restart.
    agreed and thanks. I have preset reset do it at 5am, while I am fast asleep.

Sprint Pre-
    UK Screenstate 500/1ghz
    Mode Switcher--RULES !!!
    Advanced preferences by Sconix
    Lots of patches
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Actually, now I look back at the start of this particular thread, it seems that I have confused it with a similar thread on the same topic which had far more unrealistic and ludicrous posts in it. Apologies to the OP of this thread.

The trouble is that I have read about 6 different threads on this topic, and provided my constructive input on each, but new threads keep popping up.

-- Rod
    I know the thread you speak of and yeah that thread was outta control from the first post. And as you have said, there are many of these threads floating around. I think the problem is, they don't come up often enough for the Mod's to get around to merging them.
    My expectation is that experienced users such as yourself pitch in and summarise the information for the new users. Perhaps that is an unrealistic expectation for this community ...

-- Rod
    I can only speak for myself but I have and will continue to do that since I have always felt a forum is dependent on everyone helping out.
    Quote Originally Posted by NABRIL15 View Post
    rod--is there an app out there that can auto luna reboot at a certain time? I have preset reset, but that does a full reboot.
    You can always Google crontab and setup a reoccurring job that will automatically reload LunaSysMgr.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchettjack View Post
    my sprint pre boots plenty fast for me...
    When you say plenty fast, how long are you talking about? Mine takes at the fastest 3 minutes, and as long as 4-1/2 minutes. That's way too unacceptable for me.
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
    I just timed my AT&T Palm Pre Plus and it took 2:20 to boot. The Palm logo started glowing right around 1:10.
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Actually, now I look back at the start of this particular thread, it seems that I have confused it with a similar thread on the same topic which had far more unrealistic and ludicrous posts in it. Apologies to the OP of this thread.

The trouble is that I have read about 6 different threads on this topic, and provided my constructive input on each, but new threads keep popping up.

How do you suggest that the knowledge given over and over again constructively in each of those other threads is effectively passed to the OP and participants of this thread?

-- Rod
    Apologies accepted.

I suggest a wiki they are pretty good at accumulating and sharing knowledge in a very easy to understand method everyone can contribute to. If only we could get one set up

Quote Originally Posted by demetry14 View Post
    This thread has gone off topic and should be returned to the OP's original inquiry.
    If you want an instant on OS go buy an Acer with Splashtop in the meantime.

On the otherhand... If you are willing to learn and WANT to know more, the WebOS-Internals team has a great wiki. Even with how hard it is to keep current and organized itself, still a great wiki!
    See I knew my idea for a wiki would work. This thread did go WAY of topic. I just posted my findings that making a new profile wiped out alot of stuff I did not need and cut my startup/luna restart times in half. There was not a single question in OP because I did not have questions just suggestions. I would welcome faster start up times who wouldn't? But the times I achieve in OP are good enough. The thread topic was not meant to be a question hence the lack of question mark. Most of the time my Pre is off it turned itself off. Sometimes due to a bug sometimes due to a dead battery. But under 2 minute start up I can deal with.
    There's Kernel XIP. Have at it.

System Size - eLinux.org
    I just avoid having to restart or do Luna restarts...
    Quote Originally Posted by nullr View Post
    I suggest a wiki they are pretty good at accumulating and sharing knowledge in a very easy to understand method everyone can contribute to. If only we could get one set up

See I knew my idea for a wiki would work.
    Not sure if you saw this post after the post you quoted.

Yes, that's why WebOS Internals uses a wiki, but it's a challenge getting people to keep that up to date too ...

-- Rod
    The only reason why I ever have to reboot is because my GPS radio dies and won't respond until I reboot the phone. It is quite annoying, but I don't want to go through the trouble of getting a new phone and transferring all my stuff onto it ... I'd rather just hang on and wait until the new phone lands. For everything else, a luna restart should usually do the trick. The "extended reset" options patch is very nice in this regard.
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Not sure if you saw this post after the post you quoted.
    Nope missed it whenever I see something on webos wiki that's out of date I will edit it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkguy View Post
    nabril: preset reset is best run at night when time to boot is unimportant. Luna reset can be done from the newer preware menus and from the luna manager app. Luna restarts clears tmc errors everytime for me and generally fixes almost any problem I have. I do remember having a prob where the video app didn't see my videos and that did require a full reboot but any other prob I had was fixed w a luna restart.
    Additionally, there are two patches I find to be most helpful;
    1-Advanced Options In Launcher, allows you to turn DevMode on and off, Rescan Applications, Rescan File indexer and Run Garbage Collectors.
    2-Advanced Reset Options, allows you to do a Java Services Restart, Luna Restart, Device Restart and turn Airplane mode on and off.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Quote Originally Posted by xcomputerman View Post
    The only reason why I ever have to reboot is because my GPS radio dies and won't respond until I reboot the phone. It is quite annoying, but I don't want to go through the trouble of getting a new phone and transferring all my stuff onto it ... I'd rather just hang on and wait until the new phone lands. For everything else, a luna restart should usually do the trick. The "extended reset" options patch is very nice in this regard.
    The GPS service can just be restarted. "How", I don't know the service name but if I did I could make you a script that will in fact make sure the service was in fact not running and then restart it.

If anyone knows the service name PM me and i will make the script and post it in my signature.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123