Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    Let me start by saying: I've been around a while and know the rules. I've searched for quite a while and am not finding the answer so I'm posting the question:

I was one of those watching online for the announcement of the pre back in 2009 and just when it came out my work went to BB so I was SOL. After they came out, with all the hardware issues, i was glad i couldnt go with it. Now that I may have another chance, how has the overall build quality improved (Sprint version only)? Are the oreo issues resolved? the screen cracking for no reason and the dead pixels? Any feedback would be great, Thanks!
    Devices used: Palm VIIx - Tungsten T - Tungsten T3 - HP ipaq 4155 - Tungsten T5 - BB 7520 - Treo 650 - Treo 700wx - Treo 755p - Q9c - BB 8130 - Treo 800w - HTC Touch Pro - BB 8330 - BB 8520 - HTC HD2 - Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by ehehat View Post
    Let me start by saying: I've been around a while and know the rules. I've searched for quite a while and am not finding the answer so I'm posting the question:

I was one of those watching online for the announcement of the pre back in 2009 and just when it came out my work went to BB so I was SOL. After they came out, with all the hardware issues, i was glad i couldnt go with it. Now that I may have another chance, how has the overall build quality improved (Sprint version only)? Are the oreo issues resolved? the screen cracking for no reason and the dead pixels? Any feedback would be great, Thanks!
    if you you can wait until the end of the year for a new device, i would do that, if you want a new phone the quality is decent.

The screen is fine on most devices, bu oreo, and other problems still exist.
    no the screen isent fine on most devices the random crack that comes from the usb port is a design flaw it's a stress point with alot of stress which makes it crack...as for the oreo that's still there but not as much personally I never had the oreo...dead pixils not a very big deal
    overall build quality is the same
    My Pre is a year old and is Rock Solid. People come to forums to gripe, not to gloat, and the gripers are the minority when you consider how many Pre's are out there. My $.02
    I didn't mind at all that the Pre had almost been out a year already when I picked mine up. It's really been a pleasure to use (and tweak!), and the hardware has given me no issues at all. I recently dove in and upgraded to Uberkernel, and its improved memory management has effectively fixed the OS issues my Sprint Pre sometimes experienced due to its lower system memory (256MB).
    10 months old and still like new,,,best phone I ever had.
    if you get a new model your good. Dropped this (7th phone) a few times and it's doing great.

Wanna buy my old Sprint 700P? Or Kyocera 6035, or Kyocera 7135? They're not NIB but still work
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Meh I feel with every new one it feels sturdier but since they get replaced for free if its manufacturer defect I dont mind the poor build quality. It backs alot of things up so its just a matter of re syncing.
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    if you you can wait until the end of the year for a new device, i would do that, if you want a new phone the quality is decent.

The screen is fine on most devices, bu oreo, and other problems still exist.
    Who said a new device was coming at the end of the year?
    I personally think you believed too much from the complainers. My inital Palm Pre lasted longer than any Palm device I've had in years.

That said, I would not commit to a 2 year (or even 1 year) on a Palm device right now. I suspect we're about to see new hardware. I'd wait.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    I've had mine a couple of months, and no problems at all. I even still have my usb door (which they shouldn't even have put on in the first place).
    Original Sprint launch day Pre. No oreo, no cracks. Works even better than new with homebrew, patches and OC. I think you listened to the wrong people.

Still, the rumors are increasing about a new phone on Sprint....
    Global Posts
    127 Global Posts
    I've had my Pre for about four months now and still love it. I've never noticed any Oreo effect, but I spent a few bucks two months ago and bought a snap-together hard case for it which slides in and out with the keyboard and keeps the slider mechanism solidly in line. Plus it protects the phone from getting banged up from accidental drops. Actually, I've never dropped the phone and don't plan to, but ya gotta be prepared...
    I still have my original Pre Plus and no complaints. I do think the hardware is not as solid though as the Treos were.

ET
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    I still have my original Pre Plus and no complaints. I do think the hardware is not as solid though as the Treos were.

ET
    Relative to Treo; me thinks weight spec called for lighter materials and extruded plastic.
    Global Posts
    347 Global Posts
    That's great stuff guys, thanks a lot! As I start looking for hacks and tweaks (like the above mentioned Uberkernal) is my time better spent in Home Brew or the app store? Thanks Again!
    Devices used: Palm VIIx - Tungsten T - Tungsten T3 - HP ipaq 4155 - Tungsten T5 - BB 7520 - Treo 650 - Treo 700wx - Treo 755p - Q9c - BB 8130 - Treo 800w - HTC Touch Pro - BB 8330 - BB 8520 - HTC HD2 - Palm Pre
    i had a launch day Pre up untill a few months ago... now i'm on number 5... i was just like the guy above saying rock solid how can your pre stink... and now i know why. The "new" refurbs are 50/50 if your going to get a good one. And now we are about a month or 2 from Palm anouncing a new phone...

I say 100% DO NOT get a Pre now. Wait. you will regret it in a month or 2

Welcome back to the forums, Joe Dirt.

It has been awhile.
    Just call me Berd.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast