1.    #1  
    Does anyone who uses Verizon know how to adjust the number of rings before voice mail activates? My Palm Pre is set a 8. No wonder I don't get any voice mail
    Thanks
    you need to call verizon CS to change that i believe
    when you call them they should give you the syntax so you can adjust it when needed. Personally I use youmail.com which takes care of that by intercepting the call after the specified number of rings. Much better than VZ voicemail...
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    when you call them they should give you the syntax so you can adjust it when needed. Personally I use youmail.com which takes care of that by intercepting the call after the specified number of rings. Much better than VZ voicemail...
    Okay. Here's the deal. I finally got through to customer service. Basically, they said there was no way to change the number of rings. I asked to be put through to technical support. Got to talk to a pretty knowledgeable person who, after looking at my 'platform' said that the ring count could not be changed. There are platforms where the ring count can be changed but not the one I have. She also said that the ring count has to be changed by Verizon. She did allude to the fact that it might possible for some enterprising person to crack into the phone and do it themselves but that it would be risky. Might void the warranty on the phone, etc. She said she was going to look into whether or not my platform is scheduled for any upgrades in the foreseeable future or if there might be perhaps some other work around that she wasn't aware of. And would be back in touch.

BTW, I just downloaded YouMail this AM. I customized my voice message. I played it back by calling my number on another phone. That's how I found out it takes 24 seconds before the message kicks in. Way too long IMO.

Question: Do you also get emails of every call that goes into voice mail using the YouMail client? I have Thunderbird as an email client. All of the voice messages end up there as well. I can even play them on my PC.
    yes, I get a text and an email.

I think their answer to you is poppycock. The number of rings and routing to voicemail has nothing to do with the phone. The line rings even if your phone isn't ringing.

If you call your phone you can see this. Often you will hear the ringing in the phone you call from one or two rings before your other phone rings. Especially with cell phones because the system has to figure out what tower you are connected to.

That makes absolutely no sense to say they can't control how long it rings because you have a Palm phone. What sort of phone did you have before? Was it on Verizon?

this should be about as simple as turning call forwarding on and off.
  6.    #6  

I think their answer to you is poppycock. The number of rings and routing to voicemail has nothing to do with the phone. The line rings even if your phone isn't ringing.

If you call your phone you can see this. Often you will hear the ringing in the phone you call from one or two rings before your other phone rings. Especially with cell phones because the system has to figure out what tower you are connected to.

That makes absolutely no sense to say they can't control how long it rings because you have a Palm phone. What sort of phone did you have before? Was it on Verizon?

this should be about as simple as turning call forwarding on and off.
    There is not anything to disagree with in your response. Or, my experience hearing the rings first in the phone I am calling from and then in the Palm agrees with yours as well. But what's a guy to do if that is what tech support is telling me?

I been with Verizon off and on. I moved to AT&T a couple of years ago but was getting too many dropped calls and switched back to Verizon. This is my first Smart Phone. I have to admit that for whatever reason the learning curve has been a bit steeper than I might have wished for with respect (and no disrespect intended..) with webOS. I like it, I just didn't realize that the Palm is really performing more like a PC.

Could you tell me a bit more how you are using YouMail to switch to an Email app. or Text app? When I click on the YouMail icon, I can see voice mail messages and the little task bar down below. When I click on the icon with the open envelop, I get a prompt: 'share via email' & 'share via text'. Cool. A new window pops up. I get a prompt to enter a name or #. Down at the bottom there is a message: 'Please listen to this voicemail & a link. That's what I get. What's with that? But I want to text the recipient back not send someone else the voicemail! The other icon just to the left with the letter 'A' doesn't open at all.
    Thanks.
    ok, I think we are thinking about this wrong. Are you counting the number of rings the caller hears, or the number of rings you hear on your phone?

Also, I don't actually think the way I'm using youmail makes a difference, either. Basically, if I don't answer my phone, it routes to youmail. The youmail service doesn't do anything until the caller hangs up. At that point, it sends me a text message telling me I missed a call. It includes nothing more than caller name/number and my youmail number so I can call for the message or call them back. It also tells me whether they left a message. With all the volume setting problems on the pre, I do this so I know I missed a call. If the caller leaves a message, I have the file emailed to my work email. I do that because I often have to forward them to others in the company and it saves me tons of typing. All of those settings are made from the youmail.com website, not from the phone.

I set this up like this long before I got my Pre. I also use the Youmail app some times, but about half the time I just click on my number in the text message and listen to the message the old fashioned way because i don't leave the youmail app running.

Ok, that said... there is nothing about what youmail does after the call ends that would have anything to do with how many times it rings before it intercepts the call.

So, I think the next step is to get some common terminology.

Call yourself a bunch of times. Count the rings heard in the calling phone and ignore your pre. See if it varies more than one ring on average. See if that is 8 rings - that would actually be reasonable because at least two of those rings happen before the network has even found your cell phone.
  8.    #8  
    ok, I think we are thinking about this wrong. Are you counting the number of rings the caller hears, or the number of rings you hear on your phone?
    Number of rings on caller phone. Tried 2x. Each time message picked up on 5th ring. Not, as I previously stated the 8th ring. Go figure.

Also, I don't actually think the way I'm using youmail makes a difference, either. Basically, if I don't answer my phone, it routes to youmail. The youmail service doesn't do anything until the caller hangs up. At that point, it sends me a text message telling me I missed a call. It includes nothing more than caller name/number and my youmail number so I can call for the message or call them back. It also tells me whether they left a message. With all the volume setting problems on the pre, I do this so I know I missed a call. If the caller leaves a message, I have the file emailed to my work email. I do that because I often have to forward them to others in the company and it saves me tons of typing. All of those settings are made from the youmail.com website, not from the phone.
    Oh..Thank you for that last tidbit. So I can go to the YouMail dot com site and change the setting such that my email client is not getting clobbered by voicemail messages? I don't need that functionality fo' sure.

Thanks for that.
    Snip..

Ok, that said... there is nothing about what youmail does after the call ends that would have anything to do with how many times it rings before it intercepts the call.
    Call yourself a bunch of times. Count the rings heard in the calling phone and ignore your pre. See if it varies more than one ring on average. See if that is 8 rings - that would actually be reasonable because at least two of those rings happen before the network has even found your cell phone.
    Okay. Refer to the beginning and my response. You are correct.
  9.    #9  

I've been chatting with support over at YouMail. One person in particular has been particularly helpful. Here is a link he provided me that has to do with this issue: Change number of ring before voicemail pickup the call

Apparently, it is the switch in the local area that determines the number of rings and whether you can or can not change the number of rings. This information would corroborate what the Verizon tech person told me earlier. Although, she was using different terminology to be sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmcarner View Post
    I've been chatting with support over at YouMail. One person in particular has been particularly helpful. Here is a link he provided me that has to do with this issue: Change number of ring before voicemail pickup the call

Apparently, it is the switch in the local area that determines the number of rings and whether you can or can not change the number of rings. This information would corroborate what the Verizon tech person told me earlier. Although, she was using different terminology to be sure.
    Yes, different switches have different capabilities. You must live in Amish country?

Anyway, I thought you said that Verizon's story was that it was because of the phone you are using...
  11.    #11  
    =Workerb33;2618173]Yes, different switches have different capabilities. You must live in Amish country?
    Nice guess. Matter of fact, I do live in Amish country - the heart of it: Lancaster, PA. Cell phones have 'liberated' the Amish.

Anyway, I thought you said that Verizon's story was that it was because of the phone you are using...
    Please re-read my original message. I did not say that. She referred to the 'platform'. Perhaps, I was remiss in not asking her what she met by the term 'platform'. But she never mentioned my phone. Maybe, she was referencing webOS, which of course would amount to the same thing: Palm Pre = webOS.
    makes sense if "platform" means central office switch. That's the first time I've ever heard it called that. But it sounds like you've got things figured out.

To me, webOS is your "platform".