Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    First, I want to apologize if this has been asked previously, but my searches yielded no results.

I have a refurb Sprint Pre and have had it for around 6 months. Very recently (a little over a month ago) my keyboard started to act up. It would be working fine for a time, then suddenly just quit. If it decided to stop working while I was pressing a key, it would continue pressing the key. After a full reset (not just luna) the issue would be resolved for a short amount of time. Sometimes, it will go days without acting up, sometimes I reset the phone, only to type 4 characters and have the same issue.

Deciding that, since a hard reset temporarily resolved the issue, it was a software issue, I did a full doctor on my Pre. Before doctoring, I was heavily patched and over-clocking. With a fresh install of webos 1.4.1.1, I booted the phone with no patches or custom kernels. After typing merely 8 characters, the keyboard locked up again. After the 1.4.5 update, the problem persists. I am again over-clocking and patched, as that seems to have little or no bearing on the issue.

At this point I am just confused. If this is a hardware issue, why does a reset resolve it? If it is a software issue, why didn't doctoring it fix it?

I appreciate any insight!
    Andrew - Sprint Palm Pre, webOS 2.1
    sounds like a hardware issue.
    I just posted a thread about this issue yesterday, I have the same EXACT issue. Still no resolution though. 1 user said a doctor fixed his but I guess that won't work in our case. Mine's a refurb just over a month old too. I'm wondering if I should ask for a replacement.
    Quote Originally Posted by anus1220 View Post
    I just posted a thread about this issue yesterday, I have the same EXACT issue. Still no resolution though. 1 user said a doctor fixed his but I guess that won't work in our case. Mine's a refurb just over a month old too. I'm wondering if I should ask for a replacement.
    Yes, and ASAP. Refurbs usually have a 90 day warranty. If it's not working like a new phone, they should send you another one.
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    Yes, and ASAP. Refurbs usually have a 90 day warranty. If it's not working like a new phone, they should send you another one.
    Thanks, I'm going to give them a call tomorrow. Also the backlight on the top line of the keys is dimmer than the rest which I've read is a common problem on refurbs.
    Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    Ok, I got my refurb replacement yesterday, and last night the speaker started acting up. Whenever I try to place or receive a call, the earpiece just gives a feedback-like noise. I guess I'll be going back tomorrow.
    Last edited by bdgdl08; 08/22/2010 at 05:54 PM.
    Sometime these hiccups aren't constant. You're entitle to three exchanges within a six month period. Did you try running a webos repair utility on the phone. This application might fix the problem. You don't want your account to have too many returns on it.

Good Luck.
    Global Posts
    246 Global Posts
    This is currently my 6th Pre since June of 09. I'd just rather have one that works. I'm going to try and doctor this phone to see if that helps, otherwise...
    Last edited by bdgdl08; 08/22/2010 at 05:54 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by anus1220 View Post
    I had a problem with the keyboard on a refurb pre that I bought for my son. The keys would not work, and if you pressed them until they did work, you got double or triple entry. I took it in to the Sprint support store, and the tech there opened it up, cleaned the keys and presto!, it is perfect. Not just good, perfect. He said there was a lot of dust and sand that got inside the keyboard.

I'd try that first if I were you.

It is great that Sprint provides this kind of service for its customers. They didn't even try to figure out if they phone was still under warranty, they just fixed it.