1.    #1  
    Hi all,

I'm on Sprint, upgraded to 1.4.5 and then because I always do, I doctored my phone to 1.4.5 because I like clean upgrades and to start fresh.

Everything seemed to be working until today.

I went to play some of my Podcasts (mp3 files) and I kept getting an error that for 'some unknown reason there was a problem playing the file'

I thought it was just a bad download. So I re-downloaded that file. Still the same.

Then I tried any audio file I had on my Pre, same result.

Then I used RadioTime app to just stream something from the network that would not be playing from something that was stored on my Pre ( I know that streaming also involves buffering the data to the storage space).

Still would not work.

I gave up on trying to fix it because I was out in the city walking around with my friends so real troubleshooting could not take place until I got home.

Then, we saw something and I wanted to take a picture of my friend next to a statue and when I launched the camera app, it was just black.

I figured the Pre was hosed and needed a reboot.

I rebooted the phone and when I got home I tried the camera again, still nothing.

I ran a 'chkdsk' on the USB partition when I got home as well, so far nothing is being reported back as bad.

Then only thing that I'm thinking could have caused all this, is that I ran the 'fix patch for 1.4.5' even though it was recommended to be used on devices that were upgraded over the air and not Pre's that were doctored.

Also, I restored some data using Save/Restore, and am working if some of the restored items messed up some settings.

But that doesn't make sense to me either, because if I'm not mistaken the Pre was working after I did all of these things.

I'm also back to running a native kernel.

Is it possible that my hardware is finally going? Can the camera and the media play back of sound be on the same chip or board?

Of course, I'm going to try and re-doctor the phone when I have time later tonight.

But I just wanted to know if anyone has lost the camera and media play back and what the problem ended up being and how did you get it resolved.

I will try and provide more details as I find them with more testing that I will be doing.

Thanks!

Rob

Oh yes, I will trying and run those interactive tests that are found in the 'Device Info' app. That might be a good start!
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)

Even then, nothing fixes the problem. The only think I would suggest is to re-run a webos doctor.

@try this: Webos Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals
    try to run the webOS doctor first. dont restore any patches yet. test the mp3 and other files that you need to test (tranfer via pc) if it still wont play... if it plays, then try to restore your patches then try to play it again... depending on the outcome, there should be a solution or explanation as to whats causing it (case isolation).
    Not sure about the camera problem, but I am also having the audio issue with my pre. I am running verizon 1.4.1.1 so i dont think its a software problem. I've doctored my phone 3 different times and still nothing. Any media files I try to play just continously buffer.
    Quote Originally Posted by jackyl565 View Post
    Not sure about the camera problem, but I am also having the audio issue with my pre. I am running verizon 1.4.1.1 so i dont think its a software problem. I've doctored my phone 3 different times and still nothing. Any media files I try to play just continously buffer.
    thats why there is a need to isolate the case since you might be having the same problems but it may be of different causes...

on your case... what are the file types of those media files that you are trying to play on your pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by dameweg View Post
    thats why there is a need to isolate the case since you might be having the same problems but it may be of different causes...

on your case... what are the file types of those media files that you are trying to play on your pre?
    I have tried just playing online radio streams (not sure what file type) and the podcasts that I've tried to play through dr.podder were mp3. No matter what I've tried the streams and podcasts just try to buffer. I've also tried playing mp3 files through the regular music app and they won't play either.
    The same thing happened to my Pre after the last update that gave us video, the Sprint store repair center could not fix it so I got a replacement phone no charge.
    Well?
    Alright well I fixed all of my problems. I doctored my phone once again, but instead of logging into my previous palm profile, I created a new one thinking that maybe something had happened with my phones settings or something and had gotten backed up to the previous profile. I created a new profile, logged in with that one, downloaded radiotime, and the first station I clicked on (one of the verified non-working stations with my old profile) started right up. Just a thought of something you might try.....
    Does your camera work?
    Well?
    Quote Originally Posted by NVpreguy View Post
    Does your camera work?
    Yes my camera is working as well. So far so good....
    Sounds like a corrupt database somewhere that is also backed up to the Palm profile.
    Global Posts
    152 Global Posts
    Similar thing happened to me a couple of days ago but I had been messing with the phone so it did not strike me odd that it stopped working. First thing that gave it away it did not make the charger noise it normally does when put on the touchstone. So I looked at silent switch but it was not on silent. I had to get up early the next so I set my alarm 1 minute after to test if it would work. It didn't so I set another alarm. Tried music app no song would play, no ringers worked and no other media would play. Doctor fixed it for me. Don't know what caused it.
    I've had similar problems but I didn't doctor I updated to it with sprint and sense then I'll get the same errors and nes em isn't working which is a bummer too I even used the fstab fixer in preware which didn't help so I'm kind of lost but I'm shure it'll be fixed sometime.well have a wonderful evening
  14.    #14  
    Thanks guys, it seems that after the doctor everything was working again, even the camera.

I've never seen a corruption or anything like that affect the camera, I never even applied any patches to the camera.

I just find it interesting.

Rob.
    Robert L
    Astoria Queens, N.Y.C
    - Palm Pre (Sprint) - formally Palm Treo 650
    Version 1.4.1.1
    Sprint Configuration 2.3
    Model: P100EWW
    Hardware Version: A
    Firmware: CC1.4(510)