1.    #1  
    I'm new to the Pre (had Treo 650) and am observing a few things that seem odd. Are they normal, or have fixes out there?

1) My screen brightness seems to occasionally dim without explanation. I could be using it and suddenly it is slightly less bright - maybe 10%. It isn't the "power save" type of dim that comes before shutting off the screen, because I am actively doing something (swiping, keyboard, whatever). It might last a few min and then increase in brightness. Any explanations? Is this common, or a flaw in my copy?

2) Schedule notifications: The notification pops up, I touch "dismiss". Sometimes the notification pops up again right away, sometimes the notification comes back a short time later. All I know is I seem to "dismiss" the notification twice before it is finally gone. I haven't figured out a pattern, or know why. Any ideas? I'm using a Google calendar, sync'd with Outlook via the Google sync program (which seems to work really well!) FYI, I've also applied the "notification repeat" patch, but I don't think it is supposed to cause this problem (I read the patch's thread and nothing there is posted like this).

Thanks

PS I'm on Verizon, running 1.4.1.1
    random screen dimming is normal, happens to me all the time. Not so sure about the notifications issue though.
    Screen dimming is due to the ambient light near the phone. The sensor detects the light to make adjustments in the screen brightness. Usually happens when going from inside to outside or vice versa, covering the sensor with your finger, or turning the lights on/off.

If I helped you or you have downloaded one of my files,
    then least you could do is click the "Thanks" button.
    screen dimming is saving power by sensing ambient light. It also dims a few seconds before it goes to sleep.

On notifications, make sure you are swiping directly to the side. If you are a little bit at an angle it doesn't recognize that you've removed the notification. I see that when I do it with my thumb, which naturally wants to drift up just a bit. The way to get rid of a notification is to tap it to expand, then full swipe to the side. If you tap it to expand, and tap it again, it will open the app and show you the message...

I hope that helps. Once you get the hang of it, you will be swiping like a shoplifter!
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for the replies!

Regarding the notification ... just to clarify I'm referring to the "buttons" that appear on the screen to "Dismiss" or "Snooze". Tapping "dismiss" and seeing the notification go away only to reappear a second later is weird.
    Quote Originally Posted by rustymutt View Post
    Thanks for the replies!

Regarding the notification ... just to clarify I'm referring to the "buttons" that appear on the screen to "Dismiss" or "Snooze". Tapping "dismiss" and seeing the notification go away only to reappear a second later is weird.
    There is a patch that will add more space between the alarm clock buttons which might help. Also, you may be hitting the volume button which also has some impact. Probably just have to get used to where to press to get the right thing to happen. I had issues with my fat fingers until I got used to it.
  7.    #7  
    I'll see how it goes tomorrow when I have more reminders pop up.

Meanwhile... ANOTHER QUIRK: I can't view Meeting invites. I receive an Outlook meeting invite and when I attempt to read the email I get the "busy" indicator with the message "retrieving email text..." and then something times out and I get a "unable to download message" message. Is this normal for Outlook meeting invites?

Thanks again
    I'll see how it goes tomorrow when I have more reminders pop up.

Meanwhile... ANOTHER QUIRK: I can't view Meeting invites. I receive an Outlook meeting invite and when I attempt to read the email I get the "busy" indicator with the message "retrieving email text..." and then something times out and I get a "unable to download message" message. Is this normal for Outlook meeting invites?

Thanks again
    I have no problems reading invites. Mine hangs like that when I get a receipt back that someone read a message. Eventually they time out. But when I get an invite, I'm able to accept it and add it to my calendar. Is it syncing your calendar properly?
  9.    #9  
    Yes - it is syncing correctly. Google calendar, using Google sync for Outlook. Everything going into Outlook calendar appears in Google calendar, then appears on my Pre. It is setup to work both ways so changes to the Pre show up in Outlook.

I'm pretty sure I wasn't able to view invites even before adding a single patch. I would love to get this resolved!!
    Yes - it is syncing correctly. Google calendar, using Google sync for Outlook. Everything going into Outlook calendar appears in Google calendar, then appears on my Pre. It is setup to work both ways so changes to the Pre show up in Outlook.

I'm pretty sure I wasn't able to view invites even before adding a single patch. I would love to get this resolved!!
    Oh, you are synching through google? that's a differrent story. I'm notorious for not using gmail (long story) so I don't know much about it. But, it may be that the google calendar doesn't have the ability to pass that through. Are the invites coming from an Exchange server? If so, why aren't you using EAS to sync with your server?

I mistakenly thought you were synching with Exchange (EAS). I sync with Outlook using Pocket Mirror, which is a thrid party app. It supports memos and tasks, and doesn't require all the info to pass through google.

You can try it free for 7 days if you want to mess with it.

Reserve yours today!
  11.    #11  
    My company doesn't have an exchange server, so I've resorted to the free software options

All the invites are coming in as normal email (imap according to the account settings) - note this is not a google email account.
    On the double notifications, since you have the same appointment on two calendars (outlook and google), aren't you having to dismiss the outlook notification and then dismiss the google notification?
  13.    #13  
    cshrader -

Yup - my outlook gives me a reminder as does the Pre, so I have to dismiss it on both systems.

I removed the "notification repeat" patch and installed the Ubercalendar patch late last night, and today's meeting reminders also required a doubled "dismiss". The Pre notification seems to happen a minute before Outlook's, and I'm wondering if I hit "snooze" via Outlook that it is causing the Pre to want to reissue the reminder alert?
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post

I mistakenly thought you were synching with Exchange (EAS). I sync with Outlook using Pocket Mirror, which is a thrid party app. It supports memos and tasks, and doesn't require all the info to pass through google.

You can try it free for 7 days if you want to mess with it.
    Will Pocket Mirror work without an exchange server? Will it automatically keep things in sync, or do I have to manually kick off the sync?

For years with my Treo 650, I only did manual syncs with Outlook and never had email or anything pushed to my phone. So how all this happens is really new to me.

Thanks!
    Will Pocket Mirror work without an exchange server? Will it automatically keep things in sync, or do I have to manually kick off the sync?

For years with my Treo 650, I only did manual syncs with Outlook and never had email or anything pushed to my phone. So how all this happens is really new to me.

Thanks!
    If you are syncing with an Exchange server, you would use the EAS capability included with the Pre.

If you can't sync to Exchange, you could use Pocket Mirror to sync with your Outlook client - which is syncing with Exchange. However, in that scenario you aren't getting email on your phone. Only contacts, calendar, and tasks. I did that for a long time. Now I have access to the exchange server via EAS, so I am only using Pocket Mirror for Tasks.

The reason I like 3rd party sync tools is that it continues the paradigm that Palm users are accustomed to so it's easier to figure out. That, and it keeps my info away from the Google.
    Ps, EAS sync can be automatic/push like a blackberry. Sync with outlook is a process you have to kick off like you did with your Treo.

Reserve yours today!
    I am getting in on this quite late, so perhaps no one who cares will notice, but I wanted to try and clarify something. Outlook is a mail client which can retrieve or view mail from any POP3 or IMAP mail server, not just Exchange. I have two outlook installations, at home and at work, both pulling mail from multiple servers, including my office's Exchange server, Gmail, and Time Warner's RoadRunner. The Pre can retrieve mail from all the same mail servers that Outlook can. However, Outlook also has contacts, tasks, memos, and calendars, which are designed to sync with an Exchange Server, but may stand alone, or be synced to other servers or devices through third party software, as you are doing with Google Sync. That is what Pocket Mirror does for the Pre. It can sync any or all of the non-mail data in Outlook with your Pre. So if there is some part of your Outlook data, say memos and tasks, that are not syncing via Google Sync (I don't know it's limitations), pocket mirror can fill the gaps. I am using Pocket Mirror to transfer Outlook data from my work PC to my home PC through my Pre. (Because I can't log in to my company's Exchange server from home.) One warning though, however you achieve synchronization across multiple servers, clients, and devices, it is easy to end up with double entries and double notifications.

Regarding your quirks, I have not noticed any of them. My screen brightness never changes unless I deliberately change it. Maybe my ambient light sensor doesn't work.
    The only problem I had with stubborn notifications was with the alarms of the built in clock. The problem went away when I doctored my Pre after the last OS update.
    I don't get many meeting invitations and when I do, I am usually at the PC and respond from there, so I may simply have not noticed the invite problem.