Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Is it safe to give out my phone's IP address (as revealed by ipchicken.com) to a developer to troubleshoot an app?

I guess I'm also wondering in general what are the biggest security risks around webos phones?
    I'm no expert, but I believe that if the developer was truly malicious the only thing he could attack is your network. It's not like he can install software or plant malware on your device just through knowing your IP (unless there is a specific security hole in webOS, which currently there isn't, as far as we know).

Remember plenty of services and websites track your IP constantly when you're online - Precentral almost certainly keeps a log of your IP that will be accessible to the admins - ipchicken.com knows it too - do you trust them? In essence having that knowledge doesn't mean that they're capable of introducing a virus to your computer.

All in all I'd say (in my non-professional opinion) it's safe to give out your phone's IP address. But as always both the decision and the risk is yours to take.

PS. As far as I'm aware there are currently no known security leaks/breaches/problems with webOS.
    Might be worth posting the App, since someone may know if the app is dev'd by somebody reputable or not.

Is it homebrew or from the App Cat?
    i believe you are more open to battery drain attacks, but that's just a hunch... that may also be more applicable to wifi than the voice network. Someone smarter will probably know...

also, aren't our IP addresses dynamic and therefore changing periodically?
    Quote Originally Posted by Workerb33 View Post
    aren't our IP addresses dynamic and therefore changing periodically?
    That depends on his route - could be that he's connecting through wifi with a static IP address. But you're right, connecting via cell data the IP would be dynamically assigned.
    Quote Originally Posted by PayDay99 View Post
    I guess I'm also wondering in general what are the biggest security risks around webos phones?
    sms
    Sprint Palm Pre - WebOS 2.1 > Sprint HTC Arrive
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Thanks for all the replies. It's a known app store app, so it should be fine.
    Probably worth noting, your IP address is going to change each time you repower your device.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    OK, last question, somewhat related: I understand about GPS permissions, but is there any way to know if apps are accessing your address book / calendar?