1.    #1  
    Since yesterday my pre doesn't boot up... gets stuck in loop while booting up so i went through the forum and found threads discussing the same problem. So, i tried restoring it using webosdoctor but it doesn't detect my pre. Pre is showing the white usb logo but neither can i see the usb drive in my computer nor does the doctor see it. Any suggestions on what i should do?
    I had this problem last year when I accidently ran WebOS Doctor on my phone and (very stupidly) disconnected the phone in the middle of the program and my Pre got stuck on the Palm logo trying to boot.

-Take the battery out
    -Without the battery press the up volume key (don't let go) connect your Pre to an electric outlet (keep pressing the volume key).
    -put the battery back on your Pre and you'll get a big USB sign on the screen.
    -Open WebOS doctor and go through the steps until it tells you to connect you phone.
    -Connect phone onto computer and it should recognize it.

I hope this helps you. Good luck!
    Also, rebooting your pc before connecting your pre helps sometimes too.
  4.    #4  
    Mudotron i tried that. I see the big white USB sign on the screen but the doctor doesn't detect it. I tried rebooting my mac as well but the problem persists.
    Quote Originally Posted by gmoj1 View Post
    Mudotron i tried that. I see the big white USB sign on the screen but the doctor doesn't detect it. I tried rebooting my mac as well but the problem persists.
    Find an XP pc to try it. I have tried running it on my windows 7 desktop and it did not work (did not detect). Worked fine on my old XP laptop. I have a macbook pro now, but haven't had a reason to doctor.
  6.    #6  
    i will try this today and let you know how it goes. thanks sputnik767.
    The only time when webos doctor doesn't recognize your phone, usually because of one or two things. First, is the phone in "Recovery Mode":Using the webOS Doctor. Second, make sure novacomd is enable, and you're also running java 1.6 or greater.

Good luck.
    Trying a different USB port sometimes works as well (don't use a hub if you are). Also, to simplify things, just plug it in as you normally would (no battery pull). At the point you see it boot loop simply hold the volume up button down until the USB icon appears on screen.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

HOW TO: Zip/Unzip via Pre/Pixi using Terminal
    HOW TO: Modify DTMF audio (webOS 1.4.5 or earlier)
    Palm Pre wallpapers
  9.    #9  
    Well it worked in windows xp. But when the doctor reaches 8% it disconnects. I tried a couple of times and everytime I get "Phone Disconnected" error. What can i do next?
    If you're not, try the USB ports on the rear of your PC.
    If it helps you any, sometimes it takes me 3-4 tries because of disconnects. Something else you might want to try is unpluging any other USB devices while your trying to doctor.
    Last edited by NachoB; 08/20/2010 at 03:51 PM.
    If you found my post useful then please sign up for a Dropbox Account, I could use the extra 250mb of storage.

Palm Pre wallpapers
  11.    #11  
    i tried all the USB ports but as soon as the doctor reaches 8 %, pre's screen flicks and i get the same error - "Phone Disconnected". This is ****ing me a lot.
    Global Posts
    182 Global Posts
    i tried all the USB ports but as soon as the doctor reaches 8 %, pre's screen flicks and i get the same error - "Phone Disconnected". This is ****ing me a lot.
    Had the exact same problem. The solution for me was to both find a PC that did recognize my device, and use the volume up-reboot trick.
  13.    #13  
    XImtc did you also get the same error when the doctor reached 8%? i think 8% is the time when the loop begins so it disconnects the connection and starts a new boot resulting in discontinuation of doctoring. I tried doing this in my mac, windows xp in parallels aswell as my xp desktop but i get the same errror.
    Certainly sucks that you're having such a difficult time. Your PC is starting to become prime suspect. How old is it? Does it have USB 1.1 or 2.0?
    Are you using a Palm OEM USB cable? Have you tried a different USB cable? Have you ever used your current PC to successfully doctor your phone?

EDIT: Based on your post above, your USB cable is now prime suspect

Palm Pre wallpapers
  15.    #15  
    but i am using the cable that came with the phone and i haven't tried with other cables. I don't even have other cables to try.
    Last edited by gmoj1; 08/20/2010 at 04:24 PM. Reason: incomplete post
    They can get damaged, or even be sent out faulty.

Take it to a Sprint store and have them run the Doctor on it so you can get back up and running at least. And bring your cable so they can attempt to use it to determine if it's faulty or not.

Palm Pre wallpapers
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post

Take it to a Sprint store and have them run the Doctor on it so you can get back up and running at least. And bring your cable so they can attempt to use it to determine if it's faulty or not.
    Thanks for the reply NachoB but i have an unlocked German Palm pre which i bought through ebay. So, talking to Sprint is impossible ... i don't know if the local o2 store's gonna help me. That's why i am looking to find a solution on my own. Is there no other way?
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoB View Post

+1

I had a devil of a time once trying to figure out why I could not get a reliable charge using the cord directly or the touchstone. knew someone with a treo pro which used the same cord and plug, experimented with various combinations and ultimately determined my cable (less than 3 months old at the time, and only once taken out of the house) was the culprit.