Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Maybe Jay can find this story as I have not been able to today yet.

I heard on the radio coming into work this morning how a American Airline employee (cleanup guy) has worked for the company for like 41 years. There is an investigation cause they found taht he had been taking things home accidentally left on the plane. They found PSPs, iPods, etc.

How did the find out?...
    A lady left her Palm Pre phone on the plane, the guy took it home, gave it to his son as a present, the son wiped it and used it as his own. They tracked that Palm Pre to the guys house...

lmao lol ltm rofl

That is great! Any News is good news in the Palm world right now!

So Jay if you can find that and post it that would be awesome and I will try to do the same.
    Last edited by DJeremyC; 08/19/2010 at 08:23 AM.

Nokia (red phone) --> Denso TouchPoint TP2200 --> Samsung SPH-N400 --> (Palm VII) --> Sanyo 5150 --> Palm Treo 650 --> Palm Pre --> Sprint FrankenPre 2 --> (HP TouchPad)/(HP Pre 3 - Wifi) --> Galaxy Nexus (with TS mod and hopes of Open webOS!)
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    http://www.examiner.com/photojournal...rked-airplanes

I don't have 10 posts yet, so add the http: to the front
    Last edited by ryleyinstl; 08/19/2010 at 08:21 AM. Reason: Added URL
    I guess it wasn't a VZ Pre.
  4.    #5  
    lmao

Nokia (red phone) --> Denso TouchPoint TP2200 --> Samsung SPH-N400 --> (Palm VII) --> Sanyo 5150 --> Palm Treo 650 --> Palm Pre --> Sprint FrankenPre 2 --> (HP TouchPad)/(HP Pre 3 - Wifi) --> Galaxy Nexus (with TS mod and hopes of Open webOS!)
    The police were able to trace it because it was a CDMA phone? Or because it was a Palm Pre?

I'm not all too familiar with CDMA phones, we're only using GSM in these parts...

In any case, it looks like this cleaner was taken to the... wait for it... CLEANERS. >.<
    Quote Originally Posted by Furuboru View Post
    The police were able to trace it because it was a CDMA phone? Or because it was a Palm Pre?

I'm not all too familiar with CDMA phones, we're only using GSM in these parts...

In any case, it looks like this cleaner was taken to the... wait for it... CLEANERS. >.<
    ba-dum-tssss
    Phones -> Motorola i60c, i80, i215, i730, i880(maroon), Samsung Instinct(SPH-M800), Palm Pre

Palm Devices ->3com Palm III, Palm m100, m130, m500, Zire 71, PalmOne Zire 72, LifeDrive, Palm Pre
    Was thinking maybe the person had the "Where's my Pre" app, but that wouldn't have worked if the guy wiped it clean.

Wonder how they traced it - through the ESN maybe?
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
  8.    #9  
    I think it was probably wiped after the fact right before they found it? maybe? If not the definitely through the ESN. Has to be.

Quote Originally Posted by dbdoinit View Post
    Hahah win.
    Quote Originally Posted by eovnu87435ds View Post
    ba-dum-tssss
    Rimshot

They probably used Sprint Family Locator (or another carrier equivalent). I can locate up to four phones at any given time on my account. All that has to happen is that location services be turned on (it is by default) and the phone be on and in a service area. Nothing else is required.
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups
    Quote Originally Posted by dbdoinit View Post
    If it was Verizon they would have arrested his neighbor four doors down and across the street.

Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Quote Originally Posted by pastorrich1 View Post
    They probably used Sprint Family Locator (or another carrier equivalent). I can locate up to four phones at any given time on my account. All that has to happen is that location services be turned on (it is by default) and the phone be on and in a service area. Nothing else is required.
    That's right.
    Not even GPS.

They use what's called "triangulation".
    They can tell where you are by a formula used with regard to the surrounding three cell-sites of where you stand.
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    If it was Verizon they would have arrested his neighbor four doors down and across the street.

LoL
    Oh man! I left a mini laptop in an AA airplane at FW and no one was able to find it, now I know where it went.
    It couldn't have been a Sprint Palm Pre or a VZW Palm Pre Plus. It had to have been an AT&T Palm Pre Plus because of the way CDMA works.

With GSM, you just pop in a SIM and you have the phone. With CDMA, the phone cannot be activated on a new line until the old line is disconnected (i.e. service canceled or changed phones) AND the phone isn't reported lost/stolen.

Also, if you will all think for a moment:

All phones have serial numbers. What probably happened is (in chronological order):

1) The owner alerted airport police or the local police -- presumably by either walking up to them, borrowing a phone, or by using a public phone
    2) Police talked to her, getting her info
    3) Police contacted her carrier -- presumably AT&T based on my previous info written above
    4) AT&T was able to get the serial number since it had been on her account. Then they figured out what the new SIM card number was and they traced it using triangulation.
    5) Police showed up to recover the phone and found thousands worth of other stolen electronics

Now, keep in mind this is assuming somebody who isn't the dumbest person in the world took the phone. Somebody could have taken her Pre (regardless of carrier) and just used her account. That would rule out the can-only-be-ATT clause, since they could have just used her Sprint Pre, VZW Pre Plus, or AT&T Pre Plus without swapping accounts, which is about as dumb as you could be...
    Arthur Thornton

Former webOS DevRel Engineer at Palm, HP, and LG
    Former webOS app developer (built Voice Memos, Sparrow, and several homebrew apps and patches)
    Former blogger for webOS Nation and webOS Roundup
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurthornton View Post
    It couldn't have been a Sprint Palm Pre or a VZW Palm Pre Plus. It had to have been an AT&T Palm Pre Plus because of the way CDMA works.
    Yep, we all get the difference between GSM and CDMA. However when I read the linked story earlier it didn't say he had been using the phone on his account. But even if he did via popping a SIM in, I did say.. "or another carrier equivalent".
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups

well played... reminded me of this

This signature for rent
    Quote Originally Posted by Linked Article
    "Police said they quickly traced it to Ibarra's house and discovered he had given it to his son, who erased everything on it and entered his own information."
    Based on that vague statement from someone probably not phone savvy, I would call into question how thorough the erase was. He could have just changed the "Name" field under Device Info for all we know!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast