1.    #1  
    Hi All, I am a brand newbie here. I have had my Verizon Palm Pre Plus about a month and have a couple of questions:

When I unlock my phone to use it, many times there is a box at the bottom of the screen that says MSN Unable to Log In. I use MSN for my mail and it works great. Why does it give me this unable to log in message all the time?

When I am talking on the phone, the screen goes dark. When I pull the phone from my ear and look at it, it lights up. Most of the time. Sometimes it stays dark. When I'm ready to hang up the phone, I don't see a box to press to hang up if the screen is dark. I can't seem to get it to light back up. Sometimes it goes dark, then lights up, then goes dark again within a matter of seconds. Is it me?

Thanks for your help.
    <<Thread Moved and Renamed>>
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    Sounds like you are having issues with the proximity sensor. Do you still have the packaging screen protection on the phone? If so remove it.

Quote Originally Posted by treasurespast View Post
    When I am talking on the phone, the screen goes dark. When I pull the phone from my ear and look at it, it lights up. Most of the time. Sometimes it stays dark. When I'm ready to hang up the phone, I don't see a box to press to hang up if the screen is dark. I can't seem to get it to light back up. Sometimes it goes dark, then lights up, then goes dark again within a matter of seconds. Is it me?

Thanks for your help.
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    I can answer the second one. It's supposed to do that so you don't hit buttons with your cheek. It's a proximity sensor. If it doesn't light back up, it's because the screen has timed out. Just hit the power button or open the slider and it will light up.

I have no idea about MSN, so someone else will have to jump in for that...

Oh, and let me be the first to welcome you to the best support community there is. Almost like family. I hope you will eventually jump in to Preware and start tweaking your phone. it's easy and very cool!
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
  5.    #5  
    I wonder if I have a problem with the proximity sensor. I have tried to hit the power button when my screen goes black but nothing happens. This happens when I move the phone from my ear to try and hang up from talking. Sometimes it flashes off and on, other times it just stays black even when I move the phone away from my ear. I can't get the phone to hang up then.
  6.    #6  
    I don't have the packaging screen protector on the phone, but I did add an after market screen protector. Could this have anything to do with the proximity sensor not working correctly?
    Quote Originally Posted by treasurespast View Post
    I don't have the packaging screen protector on the phone, but I did add an after market screen protector. Could this have anything to do with the proximity sensor not working correctly?
    It is possible yes. Some users have reports issues, at times. Remove it and see if you still have the issue. If not then the proximity sensor could be screwed up.

Did you have this problem before the screen protector went on?
    Sprint|Samsung Epic
    sometimes it can lag a bit after pushing a button. Using Preware to get a faster overclocking kernel may reduce the lag.

However, there is one trick that can really speed things up for your phone app. Keep your call history cleaned out every day or two. Having a long call history can slow the phone app down.

Take a shot and see if that helps. Otherwise, just give it a second to respond to you.
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    I have a long history of using Linux and for messaging I've always used Pidgin, which as well uses Libpurple for messaging. The pre uses this for built-in messaging as well. And sometimes MSN just doesn't work with Libpurple, I think it's something that happens server side, rather than on the client. If you look up Adium and Pidgin MSN problems you can see what I mean.
    A quick work around for the phone problem might be the patch " Close on hangup". It closes the phone app when the call disconnects, so when the other party hangs up your phone app shuts down.
    There are more patches with other ways to shut your phone off automatically aswell.
    Hmmm?.....It's a Palm Pre, here, let me show you something cool...;-)
    try running the interactive screen test... Tap device info ->then preferences in the upper left and corner -> tests -> interactive tests then tap the screen test... Try it with and without the screen protector
    Before you remove the screen protector, make sure that when you are trying to hang up you are not wrapping your fingers around onto the face of the pre. The proximity sensor will do its job to not cook your face while on a call but it might still be tricked into thinking its still touching you by a rogue fingertip. Test out whether or not this is user error or hardware by pulling it away from your face and letting it sit flat in/on your hand 1) on a call and 2) when trying to end a call.

I have the invisible shield by Zagg and it works for me (and has saved my pre on 2 inadvertent drops)

Which screen protector are you using?
    Yes, some screen protectors offered for the Pre did not take into account the proximity sensor and cover them. This causes issues. If you just cut off the small part that covers the sensor, you can keep the rest of the screen protector on.
    Sent from my favorite gadget!