Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    ok its a crazy idea, i know...but i thought id run it by and you tell me what you think

*i have no hardware experience, but id be willing to fund the project if a team of tech savvy guys want to tackle it*

so i watched a video of some guy taking the wifi radio out of a pixi+ and installing it into his pixi...it was awesome, and it worked!

SO

i was thinking. would it be possible to take apart a pre, and put the innards into another case? replace the processor with our own 1gz, or even 2ghz (ill pay for it!!!) completely reconstruct the phone, just use all the pres innards, with a few changes.

believe me, i KNOW its a whole LOT harder than just saying it, i dont doubt it for a second...but its certainly not impossible.

go ahead and share your opinions, but im more interested in hearing from someone who would be willing to take on the task.

if we could get an awesome beta model up and running, we could submit it to palm and maybe even get a job!!

thanks
    You can't just put another processor into the Pre
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    You can't just put another processor into the Pre
    please, tell me more
    It's not like legos.

Each piece of hardware needs to send the correct signals to other pieces. With computers you have interfaces like a PCI slot, you don't get that with other hardware.

It'd be easier to create your own components than savage anything from other phones.
  5.    #5  
    oh and im not trying to put it into a pre, so do you mean you cant swap out processors?
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    It's not like legos.

Each piece of hardware needs to send the correct signals to other pieces. With computers you have interfaces like a PCI slot, you don't get that with other hardware.

It'd be easier to create your own components than savage anything from other phones.
    ok, makes sense. i guess the video of wifi radio swap out got me a lil happy go lucky

ok, ill gladly fund getting new hardware made....palm would probably have an issue with us putting webos on it tho huh
  7. dec
    Global Posts
    255 Global Posts
    You might be on to something. Maybe HP/Palm should allow you to buy the capability that you want with different price points??? Im sure there is minimal cost difference between this years processor verse what is on the horizon, but the manufacturer could allow you to build your smartphone . . . it worked for dell. (atleast for a little while)

HP/Palm has got to think outside the box in order to get market share and maybe this 'niche' will help bring some more buzz to their products. I'd want the top of the line everything, but some others might want a little less to save a little coin. This is kinda like the pixi vs pre consideration now right?
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by dec View Post
    You might be on to something. Maybe HP/Palm should allow you to buy the capability that you want with different price points??? Im sure there is minimal cost difference between this years processor verse what is on the horizon, but the manufacturer could allow you to build your smartphone . . . it worked for dell. (atleast for a little while)

HP/Palm has got to think outside the box in order to get market share and maybe this 'niche' will help bring some more buzz to their products. I'd want the top of the line everything, but some others might want a little less to save a little coin. This is kinda like the pixi vs pre consideration now right?
    id love to direct a team and build a phone. would you be interested? im making some cheesy mockups of what i picture it would look like, got some hardware requirements down. just need some people who would be able to do it
    I'd laugh at you, but once you make your billions I might need a job. ;-)
  10.    #10  
    is there no one on this portal that are hardware literate?
    anyone know where i might shoot my ideas elsewhere?
    The FCC (if you're in the US...or I'm sure your country has a similar regulatory agency) would have something to say about you creating homebrew cellphone hardware, I think. There's VERY stringent regulations on radio signal strengths and interference levels.
    Well.. just be aware that a prototype will probably cost you a couple thousand if your lucky, I'd expect more in the tens of thousands, and that's not even including the time and effort its going to take to get an OS on it.

You'd have to write drivers for all the components for whichever OS you choose, and since WebOS is highly close-source it might not even be possible to use it if you were planning to.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by alex.dobeck View Post
    Well.. just be aware that a prototype will probably cost you a couple thousand if your lucky, I'd expect more in the tens of thousands, and that's not even including the time and effort its going to take to get an OS on it.

You'd have to write drivers for all the components for whichever OS you choose, and since WebOS is highly close-source it might not even be possible to use it if you were planning to.
    i planned on popping android on it for the meantime

im not too sure how it could 10000$. doesnt the iphone cost like 89$ to make or something?
    i think you would be better off trying to get it to run on a motodroid2 or other hardware already put together and working.
    Run your ad here... reach thousands daily...

...Now accepting orders for my upcoming iHandle™.
    Reserve yours today!
    Quote Originally Posted by sirenwails View Post
    i planned on popping android on it for the meantime

im not too sure how it could 10000$. doesnt the iphone cost like 89$ to make or something?
    iphone costs apple closer to 189 to make, but if palm (before hp) where to make it it cost over 200. Now thats palm mass producing something, if you where to do it, i'd be in the thousands. Your best bet would be to use a premade phone, but then you'd have to make the drivers work, and add a gesture area.
    Last edited by nimer55; 08/18/2010 at 06:25 PM.
  16.    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    iphone costs apple closer to 189 to make, but if palm (before hp) where to make it it cost over 200. Now thats palm mass producing something, if you where to do it, i'd be in the thousands. Your best bet would be to use a premade phone, but then you'd have to make the drivers work, and add a gesture area.
    ok im confused...couldnt i pay what they pay for piece by piece?
    yeah, but the pieces will cost more since you don't get quantity discount. replacements will be needed, wrong hardware-decisions will be made and expensively corrected, experts in different fields will have to be paid, you need a lab with machinery to engineer properly in these dimensions, etc...

...and in the end you will see: palm (or apple) didn't hire a bunch of monkeys and mules for the job, but some real professionals, whom you can't beat with some books, wikipedia and two friends.

if it weren't for pricing, the iphone would by now surely be built by the nasa and translate everything instantly to you like the babelfish from the hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy, make you play the piano like gould and chess like kasparow. ...palm could have built a phone with better specs, no doubt, but they had to consider their own and their customers money.

have fun, no hard feelings

but if you want to spend your money, so people will have a better phone, you could always help me and my buddies out when palm/hp bring out their next phone...
    Quote Originally Posted by sirenwails View Post
    ok im confused...couldnt i pay what they pay for piece by piece?
    no, cause they get discounts. HUGE, HUGE, HUGE Discounts...
    Uuuuhhh, sounds like a major fantasy. Sorry. But, hey, it might work. Good luck!
    I own a Verizon Palm Pre 2 running WebOS 2.0.1

Here to help and learn
    it's like sams club/costco vs rhe grocery store. When you buy in bulk you save money.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast