1.    #1  
    so i got a new phone - and want to sell my pre.

But I gotta doctor it before I sell it.

Here's the problem:

When I put any cable into the phone (to charge, USB mode, etc.) the phone's display immediately stops working. Not sure how or why.

How would I doctor my phone if the touch screen doesn't work once it's plugged in ?

any smart guys out there?
    just open device settings and do a "full secure erase"... probably wont sell it for much if the usb port doesn't work, though.
    Usb mode or touchscreen, doesn't stop a phone from performing a webos doc. You need to put the phone in recovery mode: Using the webOS Doctor.

There's also a app in preware that give you usb mode option, also you can try pressing: Orange/Gray + Sym + U, and see if that also enable usb mode.

Best of luck.
    Try another computer/laptop that what happen to me. My laptop won't find it but as soon as I hook it up to the computer it got it.
    I have a question...have a new pre..other one broke...also have a new lap top and it wont let me add preware...any help?
  6.    #6  
    Follow up Question:

So i now know how to do a full erase manually, great, but I have some very sensitive files (video's) on my pre that I want to keep --- how can I keep them if the USB doesn't work ?

I tried blue-tooth - no dice - what's another option? USE WIFI to upload or something ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkadelick View Post
    Follow up Question:

So i now know how to do a full erase manually, great, but I have some very sensitive files (video's) on my pre that I want to keep --- how can I keep them if the USB doesn't work ?

I tried blue-tooth - no dice - what's another option? USE WIFI to upload or something ?
    Have you tried using either the ZumoDrive or Dropboxify apps to get the files back to your PC via the Wifi?
    Follow up Question:

ZumoDrive is probably the easiest way to share between your phone and another computer. Just install the client on both, share the files from one and watch them appear on the other a few minutes later.
    Psion 3a, 3c, 3mx, Handspring Visor Deluxe, Treo 180, Treo 600, Centro, Pre, Touchpad, Pre3, Blackberry Passport (sorry!)
    Here's the problem:

When I put any cable into the phone (to charge, USB mode, etc.) the phone's display immediately stops working. Not sure how or why.
    This problem is a hardware problem. I realize you are trying to find a workaround to save some info and clear out all of your info but you will get more for your Pre if your USB is working. Is it out of warranty? Do you have TEP?

I had the same USB problem with a previous Pre and if I plugged any micro USB cable into my Pre, the screen would no longer respond. The crazy thing is the cable didn't have to be plugged into anything else. It could just be dangling there and the touch screen would not work. It was replaced under warranty at $0 to me.

On saving your vids... are they too large to email to yourself?
    Clicking the Thanks button is a great way to say... well THANKS
    Phone Apps: Church Search, Tap for HELP
    TouchPad Apps: Tap for HELP! HD, webOS Meetups